• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Most revered person in India since death of Gandhi, without a doubt. Nobody from any field has since commanded as much respect, adulation and love from so many people across the length and breadth of the country. Certainly in northern 2/3rd of the country anyways. I asked a Tamil colleague of mine who between Rajnikanth and Tendulkar is a bigger star or crowd puller in Tamil Nadu. Much to my disappointment, he said Rajni.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but that doesn't mean Tendulkar isn't a megastar in Tamil Nadu. He is. People in south revere their film stars much more than in northern parts in general. Andhra and Karnataka have their mega superstar actors too who are literally worshiped.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, but that doesn't mean Tendulkar isn't a megastar in Tamil Nadu. He is. People in south revere their film stars much more than in northern parts in general. Andhra and Karnataka have their mega superstar actors too who are literally worshiped.

It must be said here that the latest forward doing the rounds in social media goes something like this:

"Is there any doubt that Sachin became such a great cricketer and achiever, given his mother's name is Rajini? "

:p

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, I don't think anyone can beat Rajni ever in terms of popularity here in Chennai. But Sachin is also adored by so many here, at least all of my friend circle, mainly due to the many awesome innings he has played in Chennai. He had once said that he would love to take the Chennai pitch with him wherever he went. Dhoni is slowly gaining popularity here now due to the CSK association but cannot beat Sachin anytime.. It is Rajini, daylight and Sachin at 1,2,3 here with MGR and Kamalhaasan next in terms of fan following..

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It really does boggle my mind that Tendulkar started his career when Imran and Hadlee were still playing. Those guys just feel so ancient and mythical to me, having never seen them play...

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, Imran played soooo long ago for Pakistan. Indeed that is the thing about Tendy. He seems to have been around for eternity.

smash84

The Tiger King
Not too much is made of him as the guy who took on all the greats he met head on, and tried to dominate them. But he did try, and for a kid, that's something!
I had seen Sachin vs Macko but hadn't seen him against Hadlee. Thanks for posting them here harsh. It is incredible that Sachin started off his career such a long time back and has maintained that level of excellence.

smash84

The Tiger King
watching these videos here in the office brings back so many memories. Also the fact that I need to return to work soon but had to watch that 2 min footage of Imran vs Tendulkar.

Arguably the top 2 cricketers of the SC.

Imran :wub:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tendulkar's career is something that perhaps the 90s kids do not completely comprehend, or can't completely comprehend. He started out in 1988 basically in terms of playing the highest class of players in India. Then the 89 Pak tour, and the Qadir thing, and the England tour and the 92 WC (which he played, and which, again, is never spoken about much, perhaps because he gave his wicket away on several occasions trying to get quick runs down the order). By the end of 92, he was considered by the 80 greats to be firmly a member of their times. All those who were in the same position as Sachin during that time (Ambrose, Wasim, Waqar, Walsh) were all gone by the early 2000s. That is why Tendulkar seems freaky to guys like Botham, Hadlee, Imran (and Marshall too had he been alive), and to the fans who grew up watching 80s cricket. To think this guy traversed across the T20 carnivals is just an amazing thought. To think he led Mumbai Indians to glory is just mind-boggling to the 90s brigade who, till now, see it as the "weird new thing" (because they never got to be a part of it), but Sachin lived it all for them, on their behalf, echoing the greats of the 80s and 90s when he was able to successfully integrate into the post-modern game. If he hadn't been there, I am sure a lot of us (at least me) would have felt that this thing (T20 and the new rules) was just going overboard. But by adapting himself, by his calm presence through all this, Sachin helped everyone ease into it because hey, there is this guy from our generation who seems to be having no problems with how things are going! I guess I am rambling a bit now, but he is more than a bridge. He is a big-ass toll highway.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar's career is something that perhaps the 90s kids do not completely comprehend, or can't completely comprehend. He started out in 1988 basically in terms of playing the highest class of players in India. Then the 89 Pak tour, and the Qadir thing, and the England tour and the 92 WC (which he played, and which, again, is never spoken about much, perhaps because he gave his wicket away on several occasions trying to get quick runs down the order). By the end of 92, he was considered by the 80 greats to be firmly a member of their times.
Tendulkar's Test debut was November 15 1989. He was not considered a part of the 80s brigade. By the end of 92, he'd played more in the 90s than the 80s. Surely, he's done enough in his career to not have to go to these lengths.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tendulkar's Test debut was November 15 1989. He was not considered a part of the 80s brigade. By the end of 92, he'd played more in the 90s than the 80s. Surely, he's done enough in his career to not have to go to these lengths.
I am not saying he was a 80s man. But the 80s men like Botham, Hadlee, Imran, Kapil, Marshall, Border were still around in 92, and they considered him a firm fixture of the international circuit. That's what I meant.