Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar to retire

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Umm I don't think so...Most athletes, who take up a sport they love, I doubt there is ever a moment when they don't want to play anymore. I am sure Tendulkar wants to play till he drops dead. People don't retire because they don't want to play anymore..people retire when they can't play anymore. It's not really about wanting or not wanting.
    References?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Umm I don't think so...Most athletes, who take up a sport they love, I doubt there is ever a moment when they don't want to play anymore. I am sure Tendulkar wants to play till he drops dead. People don't retire because they don't want to play anymore..people retire when they can't play anymore. It's not really about wanting or not wanting.
    Wrong. Imran retired in 1987 when according to himself when he was at his peak. He could play more but he didn't want to because according to him it would tarnish his legacy.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant Black_Warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Wrong. Imran retired in 1987 when according to himself when he was at his peak. He could play more but he didn't want to because according to him it would tarnish his legacy.
    When I talk about most people, I don't include Imran in that

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    References?
    For?

For?
    For the idea that players only retire when they can't play anymore, as opposed to when they don't want to play anymore.

For plenty of cricketers and other sportsmen the grind of touring or training (particularly contact sports) becomes a chore and they quit, even if they can still play. I daresay Hussey could still play international cricket, but did not want to play anymore.

Sure some players retire because they "can't" play anymore (or at the level they used to), but that isn't always the case. It is also often because they have been given the nudge, or the fact they can't play anymore at the level they are used to means they don't want to play anymore.

Look at Katich, just loves playing cricket.

For the idea that players only retire when they can't play anymore, as opposed to when they don't want to play anymore.

For plenty of cricketers and other sportsmen the grind of touring or training (particularly contact sports) becomes a chore and they quit, even if they can still play. I daresay Hussey could still play international cricket, but did not want to play anymore.

Sure some players retire because they "can't" play anymore (or at the level they used to), but that isn't always the case. It is also often because they have been given the nudge, or the fact they can't play anymore at the level they are used to means they don't want to play anymore.

Look at Katich, just loves playing cricket.
    Well I am not sure what kind of references you are asking for. Do you mean references from academic journals based on a study of a representative sample? Obviously I don't have that
    On your other points, I don't really disagree except that when I said "they can't play anymore" it also includes those situations when they have been given the nudge. That might have been the case with people like Steve Waugh, Hussey,
    My argument was, I doubt there is ever a moment in an professional and well established cricketer's life when they don't have the desire to play, of course there are exceptions to this such as Imran Khan, so gleefully pointed out by smali but he found other equally passionate projects in his life such as a cancer hospital or politics..how many people go in a similar direction?
    When you are passionate about something that you have lived for your entire life, in Tendulkar's case, as he mentioned, this is the only life he has known since he was 11. He is 40 today and he has done nothing but play cricket. So suddenly he doesn't want to play anymore? I highly doubt that.
    Go and ask Ponting if he is being honest with himself, did he not want to play in the Ashes this year? I would argue even Hussey would have liked to play in the Ashes..
    In the case of Hussey, he might have questioned his fitness level or his ablity to last two consecutive Ashes series..so he retired..It has nothing to do with what he wants or doesn't want.
    Go ask Martin Crowe and he will still want to play.

Well I am not sure what kind of references you are asking for. Do you mean references from academic journals based on a study of a representative sample? Obviously I don't have that
    Nah I'm not SilentStriker

You said people retire because they can't play anymore, not because they don't want to. Wondering what are the examples you have to make such a claim? I'd say reasons for retirement vary, and not enjoying the sport as much as they used to is definitely a common reason for retirement of professional athletes.

On your other points, I don't really disagree except that when I said "they can't play anymore" it also includes those situations when they have been given the nudge. That might have been the case with people like Steve Waugh, Hussey,
    My argument was, I doubt there is ever a moment in an professional and well established cricketer's life when they don't have the desire to play, of course there are exceptions to this such as Imran Khan, so gleefully pointed out by smali but he found other equally passionate projects in his life such as a cancer hospital or politics..how many people go in a similar direction?
    When you are passionate about something that you have lived for your entire life, in Tendulkar's case, as he mentioned, this is the only life he has known since he was 11. He is 40 today and he has done nothing but play cricket. So suddenly he doesn't want to play anymore? I highly doubt that.
    Go and ask Ponting if he is being honest with himself, did he not want to play in the Ashes this year? I would argue even Hussey would have liked to play in the Ashes..
    In the case of Hussey, he might have questioned his fitness level or his ablity to last two consecutive Ashes series..so he retired..It has nothing to do with what he wants or doesn't want.
    Go ask Martin Crowe and he will still want to play.
    Travelling is part of cricket, Hussey didn't want to travel (well that's what he said) and be away from his family.

Sachin's poor performance lately no doubt played a part in him hanging it up. If he was still averaging what he was in 2010 you're right, he'd probably still be playing. But he said he was ready to hang it up now, whereas clearly he wasn't ready 2 years ago.

You will rarely find someone who will say 'Well I still love the game and want to play but I'm retiring because I can't put bat to ball or roll my arm over without it coming apart"
    I know I wouldn't.

Cricketers retire and become commentators or coaches where they have to travel just as much, and spend time away from their families just like before.
    These are merely reasons that sound nice so people use them.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read since Richard took leave.

People retire all the time because they have other things they'd rather be doing. Not everyone retires because they can't hold their place in the team.
    BeeGee likes this.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

People retire all the time because they have other things they'd rather be doing. Not everyone retires because they can't hold their place in the team.
    Yepp such as commentating and coaching and dancing on "Dancing with the stars" and featuring in annoying TV commercials and making a total fool of themselves.
    Last edited by Black_Warrior; 14-10-2013 at 11:19 PM.

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Yepp such as commentating and coaching and dancing on "Dancing with the stars" and featuring in annoying TV commercials and making a total fool of themselves.
    Well they're doing what they want with their time. Why do you care?
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    For these people there are easier ways to make a living then spend months on end away from their family.

You are underestimating the following:

- pressure of professional sport;
    - fatigue involved in professional sport (travelling, training, playing); and
    - fact that even the greatest things in life become boring/tiresome.

Very few people want to do the same thing their whole life.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

Benchy on the money. I know its hurting you so much being on the same side of a debate with me, am I right?

Only other time Benchy and I are on the same side is when we spray the EPL for not being equitable

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information