• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No one here is saying that every person stops playing because they don't want to play any more. Sometimes people realise they aren't good enough and are forced into retirement. But you are saying every person who retires is because they are not good enough any more and are unable to play. That is just completely and utterly false.

Sometimes they want to pursue other interests in life, like coaching. When you start getting older you start enjoying teaching cricket more than you do playing it. It's crazy to think that everyone stops playing because they're not good enough any more.
Look when I talk about 'want to play' I am referring to a desire inside to play, the same desire that made the 11 year old boy take up cricket to begin with. I am sorry but I am not willing to accept that suddenly the desire has evaporated in October 2013 more than 29 years later.
I don't think after the SA series, the desire inside Ponting suddenly disappeared.
I dont't think after the 2003 world cup the desire in Wasim Akram suddenly disappeared.
Waqar Younis who is supposed to have retired after 2003 world cup was still trying to make it into the squad against India in the 2004 home series. Only when he was not given the green signal did he quietly walk away and now it is said he retired after the 03 World Cup.

My point is simple, I do not think players have a choice as some people might have suggested here. I don't think most people who retired had a choice of whether they want to retire or not,
Now it could be a number of factors - a nudge from the selectors, the fear of being dropped, lack of fitness, fear of breaking down, fear of failure, lack of confidence in ability, poor form, or career ending injuries like in the case of Shane Bond or Flintoff. So, since they didn't have a choice, the reason behind their retirement is not that they did not want to play anymore. None of these factors are really under your control, age is not under your control, so its not your choice, its not what you 'want'.

Now as with everything about human beings, there are exceptions to the rule and some people find another passion and lose their passion for cricket as a result, as is the case with Imran Khan.

However, most people have pretty much one major passion in their life, and a man can change his religion, his passport, his wife, his face, his mistress, his name, his family, his house, his car, but a man seldom changes his passion.

Now does that mean all the retired cricketers are unhappy and on the brink of depression? Of course not..maybe a few but most I am sure are adequately satisfied in whatever it is they are doing, such as coaching, or commentary or appearing on reality shows.

But I don't think this is a decision they picked over playing cricket. This a decision they made, because they were no longer able to play cricket for a variety of reasons I mentioned earlier in the post.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unbelievable.

We have a guy trying to tell us that 'a man can't change his passion'.

How old are you black_warrior? I ask because you sound like you're quite young, you haven't had a chance to stop feeling so passionate about certain things as you once did.

I am as passionate about the game of cricket as anyone you'll meet. But I, for example, don't love playing the game as much as I did merely 4-5 years ago. I don't enjoy standing in the field for 90 overs a day as I once did. And I'm relatively young. My interests in the game of cricket have started to shift from the playing aspect towards other aspects of the game.

People have lives outside of cricket. Not everyone will always be in love with playing the game of cricket. People get over all the negative things associated with cricket and they make a decision that they'd rather do other things.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Unbelievable.

We have a guy trying to tell us that 'a man can't change his passion'.

How old are you black_warrior? I ask because you sound like you're quite young, you haven't had a chance to stop feeling so passionate about certain things as you once did.

I am as passionate about the game of cricket as anyone you'll meet. But I, for example, don't love playing the game as much as I did merely 4-5 years ago. I don't enjoy standing in the field for 90 overs a day as I once did. And I'm relatively young. My interests in the game of cricket have started to shift from the playing aspect towards other aspects of the game.

People have lives outside of cricket. Not everyone will always be in love with playing the game of cricket. People get over all the negative things associated with cricket and they make a decision that they'd rather do other things.
You're not a professional cricketer, this is not about you. This is about people who have dedicated their entire lives to a certain passion, so obviously what they feel about it is a bit stronger than what others feel about it. Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, all these players who retired in the recent past, they all wanted to play a bit more, they didn't retire because they started enjoying other aspects of the game a bit more or did not enjoy being on the field for 90 overs. Laxman even wanted to play in the England series.
As for my age, lets just say I am old enough to have a strong passion and and determined enough to dedicate my entire life going for it, until of course till I have to retire due to factors beyond my control.

Look, if you really think most cricketers retire happily out of choice, then that's fine, but you know what, you really shouldn't be questioning other people's age when you have opinions like that.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
tell it to a shrink m8

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're not a professional cricketer, this is not about you. This is about people who have dedicated their entire lives to a certain passion, so obviously what they feel about it is a bit stronger than what others feel about it. Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman, all these players who retired in the recent past, they all wanted to play a bit more, they didn't retire because they started enjoying other aspects of the game a bit more or did not enjoy being on the field for 90 overs. Laxman even wanted to play in the England series.
As for my age, lets just say I am old enough to have a strong passion and and determined enough to dedicate my entire life going for it, until of course till I have to retire due to factors beyond my control.

Look, if you really think most cricketers retire happily out of choice, then that's fine, but you know what, you really shouldn't be questioning other people's age when you have opinions like that.
**** sake. Just because people are better than me at cricket doesn't mean they have a greater passion for it. In fact, the people who have it as a job are more likely to lose the passion for it than people who purely do it for the love of the game. I guess you could say I have been a professional cricketer for some period of time in my life, so does that make me more passionate about cricket than you?

For the last time, no one is saying 'most', I'm not saying it's not most, but I'm not putting a quantifiable level on it.

You are saying practically every person retires because they're not able to play any more. It's just wrong wrong wrong.

How do you know why Dravid and co retired? If they weren't good enough for the national team but still had this burning passion like they did when they were 'an 11 year old boy' why didn't they just play state cricket??

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
**** sake. Just because people are better than me at cricket doesn't mean they have a greater passion for it. In fact, the people who have it as a job are more likely to lose the passion for it than people who purely do it for the love of the game. I guess you could say I have been a professional cricketer for some period of time in my life, so does that make me more passionate about cricket than you?

For the last time, no one is saying 'most', I'm not saying it's not most, but I'm not putting a quantifiable level on it.

You are saying practically every person retires because they're not able to play any more. It's just wrong wrong wrong.

How do you know why Dravid and co retired? If they weren't good enough for the national team but still had this burning passion like they did when they were 'an 11 year old boy' why didn't they just play state cricket??
Mate honestly you keep changing your arguments.
First you said they don't want to travel, but I pointed out coaches and commentators travel just as much so you resorted to personal insults.

Why didnt they play state cricket? I can give a hundred answers to that, state level not being competetive enough, not to mention the fact that first class cricket would require same kind of fitness..and who is to say they wouldn't struggle at that level too, because things such as eye sight, reflexes getting slower, not picking the delivery early enough, reaction times getting slower come with age and they are not in your control.

Look this is getting pointless, you and I are not going to change each other's opinions..so lets leave it at that, this is the retirement topic for one of the greatest cricketers I have seen and this is just futile now going back and forth.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He's saying there is a range of reasons for why players quit, not just because they aren't good enough anymore. He's not changing his point re: travel, that is just one of the factors.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I am of the opinion that broadly speaking, bowlers retire because they're physically knackered; and batsmen when they are mentally knackered.

I actually feel for batsmen more in this situation. A bowler, for as long as he is physically able, can bounce back again and again. A batsmen has that "one bad shot and you're a gonna" thing hanging over him all his career. It must take a mental toll.

Someone above mentioned Tendulkar playing well in Australia, right up until the point he got out. Playing well to make a composed 20, then just nicking one to slip without doing anything obviously wrong must be worse for a top player than playing like you're holding the bat the wrong way, but knowing you can correct it.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
people don't just lose their passion, jesus man.
Sorry, but they do. Didn't Gilly say that that drop against Pakistan just finished him right there and then.

And I've just finished reading Langer's bio. He said he knew that was it when Hoggard bowled him first ball at Perth in 06/07. Knowing "that's it" implies losing the required passion.