Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 372
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar to retire

  1. #181
    State Vice-Captain harsh.ag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,460
    I guess the same thing could be said of his dull period in 2005-07. He didn't retire then because of the self belief that he could become better. As long as he possessed that belief (which neither you, nor I, nor Kesavan can know about), his staying on was justified.

  2. #182
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Its times like this I really wish Sachin just played on til he was 50 or something. And then when asked why he isn't retiring he just answered "oh I like playing cricket".
    Absolutely. It's not his job to retire when he doesn't think he has more to offer; it's his job to retire when he doesn't want to play anymore. Of course, not contributing to the side in the way you'd like will dampen most people's enthusiasm for playing but if other factors outweighed that then there's nothing wrong with that, and if the selectors are too spineless to drop him when they know he's not good enough for fear of supporter backlash then that's not his fault or his problem. Tendulkar made himself available for selection because he wanted to play, whether or not he's good enough anymore is a matter for the selectors after that.
    Cabinet96 and Cevno like this.
    ~ Cribbage

  3. #183
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,677
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    I guess the same thing could be said of his dull period in 2005-07. He didn't retire then because of the self belief that he could become better. As long as he possessed that belief (which neither you, nor I, nor Kesavan can know about), his staying on was justified.
    His staying on would be justified even if he thought he'd average 15 with the bat for the rest of his career. He's not a selector; he made himself available because he wanted to play.

  4. #184
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53,752
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Unfair comparison with Ali and Schumacher. Cricket's a team sport, boxing is individual and motorsport is ****ing ****.
    Anyway the article wasn't just critical of Tendulkar for his lack of output of runs, it's what the timing of his retirement has caused, which is a shortened itinerary for a series which everyone wanted to see and world cricket needed as well as him causing other batting talents not having an opportunity to settle into the side. Instead Rahane/Rohit will be thrown to the wolves in South Africa in their debut series.
    And I cbf with Tendulkar's turmoil and doubt... Point is that he should put that aside when deciding when to retire. Did Lara or Dravid not go through the same turmoil Tendulkar is? They still timed it better than he has
    Sachin should have retired because he knew the BCCI would shorten the SA series if he didn't?


  5. #185
    International Debutant OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    I guess the same thing could be said of his dull period in 2005-07. He didn't retire then because of the self belief that he could become better. As long as he possessed that belief (which neither you, nor I, nor Kesavan can know about), his staying on was justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Absolutely. It's not his job to retire when he doesn't think he has more to offer; it's his job to retire when he doesn't want to play anymore. Of course, not contributing to the side in the way you'd like will dampen most people's enthusiasm for playing but if other factors outweighed that then there's nothing wrong with that, and if the selectors are too spineless to drop him when they know he's not good enough for fear of supporter backlash then that's not his fault or his problem. Tendulkar made himself available for selection because he wanted to play, whether or not he's good enough anymore is a matter for the selectors after that.
    That's not the point anyway. Point is that Tendulkar timed it as badly as possible... If he'd retired after the Australian series it wouldn't have caused this BS of the SA tour being shortened just to allow him to retire at home. If he'd retired after the SA series everything would be been perfect. But the BCCI wanted him to have a swansong at home.
    I would be just as critical of Tendulkar, (maybe a bit less, admittedly) if he'd carried on with his 2010 form well into 2013. Whether he's even performing or not is not as relevant as disrupting international schedules. This is simply a case of one man's retirement taking precedence over an important series. He's being given more importance than the game itself, which is just wrong.
    Proud member of the Indian STFU: Sane Tendulkar Fanboy Union.
    Our motto: Sachin WAG, Don>>>Sachin

  6. #186
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,677
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    That's not the point anyway. Point is that Tendulkar timed it as badly as possible... If he'd retired after the Australian series it wouldn't have caused this BS of the SA tour being shortened just to allow him to retire at home. If he'd retired after the SA series everything would be been perfect. But the BCCI wanted him to have a swansong at home.
    I would be just as critical of Tendulkar, (maybe a bit less, admittedly) if he'd carried on with his 2010 form well into 2013. Whether he's even performing or not is not as relevant as disrupting international schedules. This is simply a case of one man's retirement taking precedence over an important series. He's being given more importance than the game itself, which is just wrong.
    Tendulkar timed it absolutely perfectly; he retired when he didn't want to play anymore.

  7. #187
    International Debutant OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Sachin should have retired because he knew the BCCI would shorten the SA series if he didn't?
    Of course he didn't know that. But you do admit it's a direct result if him delaying his announcement don't you.

  8. #188
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    53,752
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Of course he didn't know that. But you do admit it's a direct result if him delaying his announcement don't you.
    Yep, but that's not on Sachin at all. The BCCI are milking their greatest asset for $$$. Sachin shouldn't be held ransom by the fact that his retirement is worth a lot of money. Plus he wanted to retire in Mumbai - hardly the last person who has tried to retire at home.

  9. #189
    International Debutant OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    . Plus he wanted to retire in Mumbai - hardly the last person who has tried to retire at home.
    Yes but how many people got their wish with a home series scheduled at the last moment at the expense of an eagerly awaited series against a top team. And that's the whole problem: Tendulkar wanted to retire at home... You said it yourself. This one fact became more important than everything else

  10. #190
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    11,995
    How do you know it was his decision and not the BCCI wanting to make a ton of money from a home series in which the public would see their biggest idol for the last time?

  11. #191
    International Debutant OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    How do you know it was his decision and not the BCCI wanting to make a ton of money from a home series in which the public would see their biggest idol for the last time?
    Never even said it was. You guys need to decide if it's Tendulkar's decision to retire at home or BCCIs decision to schedule a series at home for him to retire.
    If BCCI did all this just to have a home series farewell for Tendulkar, (without him asking for it, which is extremely unlikely) Tendulkar is still partly at fault.
    If BCCI did this because Tendulkar wanted a home farewell and he specifically asked for one, leading to the SA series being shortened, then I'm sorry, he is definitely at fault.

  12. #192
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,094
    interesting discussion this
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  13. #193
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    21,094
    i get your point but what do you mean he is partially at fault?

  14. #194
    International Debutant OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Chennai, India
    Posts
    2,471
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    i get your point but what do you mean he is partially at fault?
    Meant that in the scenario which is the most unlikely one, in which he hadn't made up his mind about retirement and the BCCI essentially forced him into a farewell home series, he had to have known the consequences of such a decision... The shortening of the SA tour. When he was apparently made this offer, he would've had two options : 1) Retire with immediate effect, realising that the international schedule was more important to cricket than him getting a farewell on home turf and thus triggering a wave of tributes
    2) Take the offer of retiring at home getting a well deserved farewell at home but thus putting in further jeopardy an important tour to the No. 1 team

    Hence partially at fault.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 14-10-2013 at 02:03 AM.

  15. #195
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,313
    of course he is playing for the 200th test. if one gets called off or he becomes unavailable he will play another
    "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts.. . For support rather than illumination. " - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sachin Tendulkar set to retire
    By benchmark00 in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
  2. O' Tendulkar please retire now
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 28-01-2012, 03:51 AM
  3. Should Sachin Retire?
    By Eloquentia in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 17-11-2011, 01:57 PM
  4. Should Tendulkar now retire?
    By sledger in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2011, 08:00 AM
  5. Replies: 129
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 02:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •