Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar to retire

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Mukul Kesavan on Tendulkar's retirement | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Good article. I'm glad that there is some balanced reporting on cricinfo in amongst the endless stream of fanboy articles and emotive pieces. Headlines such as, "Dravid: He would have listened to his heart" were making me vomit.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    yep...this was a very well written and balanced article
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Mukul Kesavan on Tendulkar's retirement | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Good article. I'm glad that there is some balanced reporting on cricinfo in amongst the endless stream of fanboy articles and emotive pieces. Headlines such as, "Dravid: He would have listened to his heart" were making me vomit.
    Yeah, because fanboy articles are only appropriate for black and white (I mean the TV setting) legends such as George Headley, Sydney Barnes et al. Try and find one coloumn of criticism against them, and Google will accept defeat.

It is so easy........... to write things like that............ so easy.........

harsh, are you saying that it is not a balanced article?

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    I'm glad Cricinfo did this. Probably just did it for the huts as I'm sure it'll kick of a veritable ****storm in cricinfo's Sachin fanclub. But I think this was necessary... His career can be celebrated when he actually retires... Right now the timing of his retirement can and SHOULD be questioned. In my opinion, he certainly didn't time it right and has done no favours to our team or international cricket in general
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 14-10-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    I'm gland
    Oh, so that's who DhonisGland was...
    uvelocity likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Smali, I am saying it's just so easy to write things like that. There is a reason ex-teammates and other sporting legends do not criticize their fellow sportsmen on these lines. It is a very difficult thing to do, recognizing that you may not be the genius you once were. It does not diminish Sachin's legacy. Which name springs to mind when asked about the greatest boxer of all time? - Ali. Even though he made his horrendous comeback against Holmes, in a match where the tragedy seemed to be that he still thought he was "Ali". Which name springs to mind when asked about the greatest F1 racer of all time? - Schumacher. Despite his horrid second wind recently. It is not a balanced article. Just as Mr Kesavan wrongly assesses Sachin's last 2 years to be that of an accountant's years, his article is that of an accountant, only registering the numbers that Sachin went through the last two years, not the turmoil and self-doubt. As I said, it is so easy...
    kyear2, Cevno and CricAddict like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Oh, so that's who DhonisGland was...
    FFS. I hate indian mobile networks. "Oh you made a typing error, ok ill post it immediately but you won't be able to edit until someone notices"
    And who Dafuq is Dhonisgland

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Smali, I am saying it's just so easy to write things like that. There is a reason ex-teammates and other sporting legends do not criticize their fellow sportsmen on these lines. It is a very difficult thing to do, recognizing that you may not be the genius you once were. It does not diminish Sachin's legacy. Which name springs to mind when asked about the greatest boxer of all time? - Ali. Even though he made his horrendous comeback against Holmes, in a match where the tragedy seemed to be that he still thought he was "Ali". Which name springs to mind when asked about the greatest F1 racer of all time? - Schumacher. Despite his horrid second wind recently. It is not a balanced article. Just as Mr Kesavan wrongly assesses Sachin's last 2 years to be that of an accountant's years, his article is that of an accountant, only registering the numbers that Sachin went through the last two years, not the turmoil and self-doubt. As I said, it is so easy...
    I agree with some of what you have to say however there is a difference between a return to the game and lingering on and on when you should already retire. If Sachin had retired by let's say 2011 and then come back for a year in 2013, it probably would not have mattered as much as fading away in the last 2 years.

Its times like this I really wish Sachin just played on til he was 50 or something. And then when asked why he isn't retiring he just answered "oh I like playing cricket".

Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    FFS. I hate indian mobile networks. "Oh you made a typing error, ok ill post it immediately but you won't be able to edit until someone notices"
    And who Dafuq is Dhonisgland
    lol....he was an irritating poster (i think a multi of some other poster) who got banned

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Unfair comparison with Ali and Schumacher. Cricket's a team sport, boxing is individual and motorsport is ****ing ****.
    Anyway the article wasn't just critical of Tendulkar for his lack of output of runs, it's what the timing of his retirement has caused, which is a shortened itinerary for a series which everyone wanted to see and world cricket needed as well as him causing other batting talents not having an opportunity to settle into the side. Instead Rahane/Rohit will be thrown to the wolves in South Africa in their debut series.
    And I cbf with Tendulkar's turmoil and doubt... Point is that he should put that aside when deciding when to retire. Did Lara or Dravid not go through the same turmoil Tendulkar is? They still timed it better than he has
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 14-10-2013 at 01:10 AM.

I guess the same thing could be said of his dull period in 2005-07. He didn't retire then because of the self belief that he could become better. As long as he possessed that belief (which neither you, nor I, nor Kesavan can know about), his staying on was justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Its times like this I really wish Sachin just played on til he was 50 or something. And then when asked why he isn't retiring he just answered "oh I like playing cricket".
    Absolutely. It's not his job to retire when he doesn't think he has more to offer; it's his job to retire when he doesn't want to play anymore. Of course, not contributing to the side in the way you'd like will dampen most people's enthusiasm for playing but if other factors outweighed that then there's nothing wrong with that, and if the selectors are too spineless to drop him when they know he's not good enough for fear of supporter backlash then that's not his fault or his problem. Tendulkar made himself available for selection because he wanted to play, whether or not he's good enough anymore is a matter for the selectors after that.
    Cabinet96 and Cevno like this.

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread Information