• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read since Richard took leave.

People retire all the time because they have other things they'd rather be doing. Not everyone retires because they can't hold their place in the team.
Yepp such as commentating and coaching and dancing on "Dancing with the stars" and featuring in annoying TV commercials and making a total fool of themselves.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yepp such as commentating and coaching and dancing on "Dancing with the stars" and featuring in annoying TV commercials and making a total fool of themselves.
For these people there are easier ways to make a living then spend months on end away from their family.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You are underestimating the following:

- pressure of professional sport;
- fatigue involved in professional sport (travelling, training, playing); and
- fact that even the greatest things in life become boring/tiresome.

Very few people want to do the same thing their whole life.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read since Richard took leave.

People retire all the time because they have other things they'd rather be doing. Not everyone retires because they can't hold their place in the team.
Benchy on the money. I know its hurting you so much being on the same side of a debate with me, am I right? :ph34r:

Only other time Benchy and I are on the same side is when we spray the EPL for not being equitable :cool:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they're doing what they want with their time. Why do you care?
Ok please ask Dravid and Ganguly whether they would rather be scoring centuries or commentating.
Let's also ask Akram and Warne, that if they could, would they not go for Murali's record instead of commentating? Would they not want to be the highest wicket taker in the world rather than sit and comment on someoneelse?

For these people there are easier ways to make a living then spend months on end away from their family.
You are underestimating the following:

- pressure of professional sport;
- fatigue involved in professional sport (travelling, training, playing); and
- fact that even the greatest things in life become boring/tiresome.

Very few people want to do the same thing their whole life.
Wow, so Jono and Benchy agree for the first time and both conveniently ignore that coaching and commentating requires just as much travelling, sometimes even more, and the pressures of coaching might have led to the death of an international and well known coach. Lets also ask Darren Lehmann, Duncan Fletcher and Mickey Arthur just how much less pressure they are under.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
This is such a good article..hats of to Kesavan..takes immense guts to be the lone man going against the majority and risk being trolled and abused in the wildest jungle in the world called the internet.
LOL. Such articles come all the time. On Cricinfo too. You have to pay close attention.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You will rarely find someone who will say 'Well I still love the game and want to play but I'm retiring because I can't put bat to ball or roll my arm over without it coming apart"
I know I wouldn't.
If you retire because cricket has become more taxing on your body, then you've retired because you don't want to play anymore. There are many factors that contribute to a weakening desire to play the game and how physically taxing it is on you as you get older is one of those.

Physically, Tendulkar could still play. He might get injured more, endure more plain, perform worse.. but he could still play if he wanted to. He doesn't.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Ok please ask Dravid and Ganguly whether they would rather be scoring centuries or commentating.
Let's also ask Akram and Warne, that if they could, would they not go for Murali's record instead of commentating? Would they not want to be the highest wicket taker in the world rather than sit and comment on someoneelse?

Wow, so Jono and Benchy agree for the first time and both conveniently ignore that coaching and commentating requires just as much travelling, sometimes even more, and the pressures of coaching might have led to the death of an international and well known coach. Lets also ask Darren Lehmann, Duncan Fletcher and Mickey Arthur just how much less pressure they are under.
No one here is saying that every person stops playing because they don't want to play any more. Sometimes people realise they aren't good enough and are forced into retirement. But you are saying every person who retires is because they are not good enough any more and are unable to play. That is just completely and utterly false.

Sometimes they want to pursue other interests in life, like coaching. When you start getting older you start enjoying teaching cricket more than you do playing it. It's crazy to think that everyone stops playing because they're not good enough any more.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
This is such a good article..hats of to Kesavan..takes immense guts to be the lone man going against the majority and risk being trolled and abused in the wildest jungle in the world called the internet.
That's what Kesavan does usually.

Deliberately and sometimes illogically take lone positions.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Whenever it comes to Rohit Sharma, I always found it interested how people think someone who is unable to handle 'scoreboard pressure' of limited overs cricket is suitable to handle all the infinitely more difficult situations of test cricket.
His problem is pacing a innings in ODI cricket. In FC he can take his time whatever way he wants plus the field settings suit him better.

I'm glad Cricinfo did this. Probably just did it for the huts as I'm sure it'll kick of a veritable ****storm in cricinfo's Sachin fanclub. But I think this was necessary... His career can be celebrated when he actually retires... Right now the timing of his retirement can and SHOULD be questioned. In my opinion, he certainly didn't time it right and has done no favours to our team or international cricket in general
Hindsight is 20/20 though. How many people wanted him dropped 2 years ago ? He was probably the best Indian batsman at the time after than South Africa series.

Probably should have retired a some months earlier but he didn't linger on as long as some make out.

Unfair comparison with Ali and Schumacher. Cricket's a team sport, boxing is individual and motorsport is ****ing ****.
Anyway the article wasn't just critical of Tendulkar for his lack of output of runs, it's what the timing of his retirement has caused, which is a shortened itinerary for a series which everyone wanted to see and world cricket needed as well as him causing other batting talents not having an opportunity to settle into the side. Instead Rahane/Rohit will be thrown to the wolves in South Africa in their debut series.
And I cbf with Tendulkar's turmoil and doubt... Point is that he should put that aside when deciding when to retire. Did Lara or Dravid not go through the same turmoil Tendulkar is? They still timed it better than he has
Errm Dravid Did ? :unsure:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the same thing could be said of his dull period in 2005-07. He didn't retire then because of the self belief that he could become better. As long as he possessed that belief (which neither you, nor I, nor Kesavan can know about), his staying on was justified.
Indeed people wanted him to retire even then and said he was finished.

He Reinvented his game and came back strong.

Sachin should have retired because he knew the BCCI would shorten the SA series if he didn't?
The whole SA series is in question due to the BCCI dispute with CSA over Lorgat and other things anyway. BCCI only used this to send a warning probably.

OverratedSanity

Hindsight is 20/20 though. How many people wanted him dropped 2 years ago ? He was probably the best Indian batsman at the time after than South Africa series.

Probably should have retired a some months earlier but he didn't linger on as long as some make out.

Errm Dravid Did ? :unsure:
Again, it's not about his form... This is about the SA series being cut to pieces just to accommodate his farewell.

And Dravid certainly timed it better than Sachin. He had just had a fabulous second wind, was brilliant throughout 2011 and didn't delay his announcement too much after a poor Australian tour which exposed some chunks in his armour.

More importantly look at how he announced it before ta home series (against NZ?) allowing a youngster to settle into the role, instead of Sachin who's retirement has ****ed up the SA tour, plus with him playing the home series against Wi it doesn't give Rahane/Rohit their chance to ease into the test side... Instead they'll be thrown into the deep end in SA in the toughest conditions possible for a SC batsman against the best bowling attack in world cricket. I do think see how anyone can see the timing of his retirement as anything but poor

OverratedSanity

Indeed people wanted him to retire even then and said he was finished.

He Reinvented his game and came back strong.

The whole SA series is in question due to the BCCI dispute with CSA over Lorgat and other things anyway. BCCI only used this to send a warning probably.
Don't be naive. You must be kidding yourself if you think Tendulkar's retirement hasn't contributed to the BCCI shortening the SA tour

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't be naive. You must be kidding yourself if you think Tendulkar's retirement hasn't contributed to the BCCI shortening the SA tour
So what's the problem now and why is the CSA president flying all the way to India ? BCCI had a problem with Lorgat which is the major factor why they shortened the series and proposing to shorten it further.

Ofcourse, Home series Money helps too but There was sufficient break to organize 2 tests if needed in November anyway after or before the Diwali season if they wanted too.

The ODI's with Australia were a fill in for the first month of a 2/3 month International break.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Again, it's not about his form... This is about the SA series being cut to pieces just to accommodate his farewell.
That's just not true at all. As i said above and it's just your wild assumption.

If you think BCCI are only imagining problems with Lorgat to accomodate this series, then man you are just being extremely cynical.

And Dravid certainly timed it better than Sachin. He had just had a fabulous second wind, was brilliant throughout 2011 and didn't delay his announcement too much after a poor Australian tour which exposed some chunks in his armour.
And what about the before that where he was just dragging along similarly and looking as bad as Sachin did for the last year for longer? Though i broadly agree with what Pews, Jono and Benchmark said earlier that the players should carry on as long as they want too.

Beyond that it's the selector's call.

More importantly look at how he announced it before ta home series (against NZ?) allowing a youngster to settle into the role, instead of Sachin who's retirement has ****ed up the SA tour, plus with him playing the home series against Wi it doesn't give Rahane/Rohit their chance to ease into the test side... Instead they'll be thrown into the deep end in SA in the toughest conditions possible for a SC batsman against the best bowling attack in world cricket. I do think see how anyone can see the timing of his retirement as anything but poor
That's a more fair point.

But conversely you are claiming yourself that the series was organized in this gap for Sachin's farewell in the first place and wouldn't have happened otherwise. Which means it gives Rohit/Rahane a extra chance to stake a claim before the SA series anyway for a batting spot which is unclaimed at the moment anyway even with Sachin playing.

That would be extra experience on top of the A tour that happened in SA. This all assuming the SA series happens anyway which isn't a certainty given BCCI's antics. :p

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Big bully BCCI cuts short India?s tour to teach SA a lesson - Mumbai Mirror

http://www.cricketcountry.com/crick...South-African-tour-and-its-implications/30543

Neil Manthorp @NeilManthorp

As predicted four months ago, the India tour to SA will be reduced to 2 Tests and 3 ODIs - minimum required by FTP.

The shortening of the series was in the pipeline since July when CSA appointed Lorgat as BCCI wanted to play Big Bully after warning them in January/February. It was being reported in South Africa too widely. Attributing that to something else now is just a bit silly.

At the same time in the gap which was there in FTP first a Zimbabwe tour and then ODI's with Australia were organized in July -

Australia announce India ODI tour schedule | Cricket By Country | International Cricket Teams

If BCCI wanted to just organize 2 tests even without shortening the SA tour to accomodate Sachin's Retirement it could have been done easily.

Edit - Even leaving that aside, it's not sure that whether this series was organized for Sachin's farewell knowing in advance or that Sachin decided to retire as this series was a good point to do so after playing 200 tests. 2 + 2 doesn't necessarily equal 5 after all.

Last edited: