• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ishant would probably come out at 3 and kick the stumps over first ball just so Tendulkar could bat 4 and still hit the winning runs.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Mukul Kesavan on Tendulkar's retirement | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Good article. I'm glad that there is some balanced reporting on cricinfo in amongst the endless stream of fanboy articles and emotive pieces. Headlines such as, "Dravid: He would have listened to his heart" were making me vomit.
This is such a good article..hats of to Kesavan..takes immense guts to be the lone man going against the majority and risk being trolled and abused in the wildest jungle in the world called the internet.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar timed it absolutely perfectly; he retired when he didn't want to play anymore.
Umm I don't think so...Most athletes, who take up a sport they love, I doubt there is ever a moment when they don't want to play anymore. I am sure Tendulkar wants to play till he drops dead. People don't retire because they don't want to play anymore..people retire when they can't play anymore. It's not really about wanting or not wanting.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Umm I don't think so...Most athletes, who take up a sport they love, I doubt there is ever a moment when they don't want to play anymore. I am sure Tendulkar wants to play till he drops dead. People don't retire because they don't want to play anymore..people retire when they can't play anymore. It's not really about wanting or not wanting.
References?

smash84

The Tiger King
Wrong. Imran retired in 1987 when according to himself when he was at his peak. He could play more but he didn't want to because according to him it would tarnish his legacy.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For the idea that players only retire when they can't play anymore, as opposed to when they don't want to play anymore.

For plenty of cricketers and other sportsmen the grind of touring or training (particularly contact sports) becomes a chore and they quit, even if they can still play. I daresay Hussey could still play international cricket, but did not want to play anymore.

Sure some players retire because they "can't" play anymore (or at the level they used to), but that isn't always the case. It is also often because they have been given the nudge, or the fact they can't play anymore at the level they are used to means they don't want to play anymore.

Look at Katich, just loves playing cricket.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
For the idea that players only retire when they can't play anymore, as opposed to when they don't want to play anymore.

For plenty of cricketers and other sportsmen the grind of touring or training (particularly contact sports) becomes a chore and they quit, even if they can still play. I daresay Hussey could still play international cricket, but did not want to play anymore.

Sure some players retire because they "can't" play anymore (or at the level they used to), but that isn't always the case. It is also often because they have been given the nudge, or the fact they can't play anymore at the level they are used to means they don't want to play anymore.

Look at Katich, just loves playing cricket.
Well I am not sure what kind of references you are asking for. Do you mean references from academic journals based on a study of a representative sample? Obviously I don't have that
On your other points, I don't really disagree except that when I said "they can't play anymore" it also includes those situations when they have been given the nudge. That might have been the case with people like Steve Waugh, Hussey,
My argument was, I doubt there is ever a moment in an professional and well established cricketer's life when they don't have the desire to play, of course there are exceptions to this such as Imran Khan, so gleefully pointed out by smali but he found other equally passionate projects in his life such as a cancer hospital or politics..how many people go in a similar direction?
When you are passionate about something that you have lived for your entire life, in Tendulkar's case, as he mentioned, this is the only life he has known since he was 11. He is 40 today and he has done nothing but play cricket. So suddenly he doesn't want to play anymore? I highly doubt that.
Go and ask Ponting if he is being honest with himself, did he not want to play in the Ashes this year? I would argue even Hussey would have liked to play in the Ashes..
In the case of Hussey, he might have questioned his fitness level or his ablity to last two consecutive Ashes series..so he retired..It has nothing to do with what he wants or doesn't want.
Go ask Martin Crowe and he will still want to play.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well I am not sure what kind of references you are asking for. Do you mean references from academic journals based on a study of a representative sample? Obviously I don't have that
Nah I'm not SilentStriker :laugh:

You said people retire because they can't play anymore, not because they don't want to. Wondering what are the examples you have to make such a claim? I'd say reasons for retirement vary, and not enjoying the sport as much as they used to is definitely a common reason for retirement of professional athletes.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
On your other points, I don't really disagree except that when I said "they can't play anymore" it also includes those situations when they have been given the nudge. That might have been the case with people like Steve Waugh, Hussey,
My argument was, I doubt there is ever a moment in an professional and well established cricketer's life when they don't have the desire to play, of course there are exceptions to this such as Imran Khan, so gleefully pointed out by smali but he found other equally passionate projects in his life such as a cancer hospital or politics..how many people go in a similar direction?
When you are passionate about something that you have lived for your entire life, in Tendulkar's case, as he mentioned, this is the only life he has known since he was 11. He is 40 today and he has done nothing but play cricket. So suddenly he doesn't want to play anymore? I highly doubt that.
Go and ask Ponting if he is being honest with himself, did he not want to play in the Ashes this year? I would argue even Hussey would have liked to play in the Ashes..
In the case of Hussey, he might have questioned his fitness level or his ablity to last two consecutive Ashes series..so he retired..It has nothing to do with what he wants or doesn't want.
Go ask Martin Crowe and he will still want to play.
Travelling is part of cricket, Hussey didn't want to travel (well that's what he said) and be away from his family.

Sachin's poor performance lately no doubt played a part in him hanging it up. If he was still averaging what he was in 2010 you're right, he'd probably still be playing. But he said he was ready to hang it up now, whereas clearly he wasn't ready 2 years ago.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
You will rarely find someone who will say 'Well I still love the game and want to play but I'm retiring because I can't put bat to ball or roll my arm over without it coming apart"
I know I wouldn't.

Cricketers retire and become commentators or coaches where they have to travel just as much, and spend time away from their families just like before.
These are merely reasons that sound nice so people use them.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read since Richard took leave.

People retire all the time because they have other things they'd rather be doing. Not everyone retires because they can't hold their place in the team.