• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar to retire

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess the same thing could be said of his dull period in 2005-07. He didn't retire then because of the self belief that he could become better. As long as he possessed that belief (which neither you, nor I, nor Kesavan can know about), his staying on was justified.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Its times like this I really wish Sachin just played on til he was 50 or something. And then when asked why he isn't retiring he just answered "oh I like playing cricket".
Absolutely. It's not his job to retire when he doesn't think he has more to offer; it's his job to retire when he doesn't want to play anymore. Of course, not contributing to the side in the way you'd like will dampen most people's enthusiasm for playing but if other factors outweighed that then there's nothing wrong with that, and if the selectors are too spineless to drop him when they know he's not good enough for fear of supporter backlash then that's not his fault or his problem. Tendulkar made himself available for selection because he wanted to play, whether or not he's good enough anymore is a matter for the selectors after that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I guess the same thing could be said of his dull period in 2005-07. He didn't retire then because of the self belief that he could become better. As long as he possessed that belief (which neither you, nor I, nor Kesavan can know about), his staying on was justified.
His staying on would be justified even if he thought he'd average 15 with the bat for the rest of his career. He's not a selector; he made himself available because he wanted to play.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Unfair comparison with Ali and Schumacher. Cricket's a team sport, boxing is individual and motorsport is ****ing ****.
Anyway the article wasn't just critical of Tendulkar for his lack of output of runs, it's what the timing of his retirement has caused, which is a shortened itinerary for a series which everyone wanted to see and world cricket needed as well as him causing other batting talents not having an opportunity to settle into the side. Instead Rahane/Rohit will be thrown to the wolves in South Africa in their debut series.
And I cbf with Tendulkar's turmoil and doubt... Point is that he should put that aside when deciding when to retire. Did Lara or Dravid not go through the same turmoil Tendulkar is? They still timed it better than he has
Sachin should have retired because he knew the BCCI would shorten the SA series if he didn't?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely. It's not his job to retire when he doesn't think he has more to offer; it's his job to retire when he doesn't want to play anymore. Of course, not contributing to the side in the way you'd like will dampen most people's enthusiasm for playing but if other factors outweighed that then there's nothing wrong with that, and if the selectors are too spineless to drop him when they know he's not good enough for fear of supporter backlash then that's not his fault or his problem. Tendulkar made himself available for selection because he wanted to play, whether or not he's good enough anymore is a matter for the selectors after that.
That's not the point anyway. Point is that Tendulkar timed it as badly as possible... If he'd retired after the Australian series it wouldn't have caused this BS of the SA tour being shortened just to allow him to retire at home. If he'd retired after the SA series everything would be been perfect. But the BCCI wanted him to have a swansong at home.
I would be just as critical of Tendulkar, (maybe a bit less, admittedly) if he'd carried on with his 2010 form well into 2013. Whether he's even performing or not is not as relevant as disrupting international schedules. This is simply a case of one man's retirement taking precedence over an important series. He's being given more importance than the game itself, which is just wrong.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's not the point anyway. Point is that Tendulkar timed it as badly as possible... If he'd retired after the Australian series it wouldn't have caused this BS of the SA tour being shortened just to allow him to retire at home. If he'd retired after the SA series everything would be been perfect. But the BCCI wanted him to have a swansong at home.
I would be just as critical of Tendulkar, (maybe a bit less, admittedly) if he'd carried on with his 2010 form well into 2013. Whether he's even performing or not is not as relevant as disrupting international schedules. This is simply a case of one man's retirement taking precedence over an important series. He's being given more importance than the game itself, which is just wrong.
Tendulkar timed it absolutely perfectly; he retired when he didn't want to play anymore.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Of course he didn't know that. But you do admit it's a direct result if him delaying his announcement don't you.
Yep, but that's not on Sachin at all. The BCCI are milking their greatest asset for $$$. Sachin shouldn't be held ransom by the fact that his retirement is worth a lot of money. Plus he wanted to retire in Mumbai - hardly the last person who has tried to retire at home.

OverratedSanity

. Plus he wanted to retire in Mumbai - hardly the last person who has tried to retire at home.
Yes but how many people got their wish with a home series scheduled at the last moment at the expense of an eagerly awaited series against a top team. And that's the whole problem: Tendulkar wanted to retire at home... You said it yourself. This one fact became more important than everything else

Daemon

How do you know it was his decision and not the BCCI wanting to make a ton of money from a home series in which the public would see their biggest idol for the last time?

OverratedSanity

How do you know it was his decision and not the BCCI wanting to make a ton of money from a home series in which the public would see their biggest idol for the last time?
Never even said it was. You guys need to decide if it's Tendulkar's decision to retire at home or BCCIs decision to schedule a series at home for him to retire.
If BCCI did all this just to have a home series farewell for Tendulkar, (without him asking for it, which is extremely unlikely) Tendulkar is still partly at fault.
If BCCI did this because Tendulkar wanted a home farewell and he specifically asked for one, leading to the SA series being shortened, then I'm sorry, he is definitely at fault.

OverratedSanity

i get your point but what do you mean he is partially at fault?
Meant that in the scenario which is the most unlikely one, in which he hadn't made up his mind about retirement and the BCCI essentially forced him into a farewell home series, he had to have known the consequences of such a decision... The shortening of the SA tour. When he was apparently made this offer, he would've had two options : 1) Retire with immediate effect, realising that the international schedule was more important to cricket than him getting a farewell on home turf and thus triggering a wave of tributes
2) Take the offer of retiring at home getting a well deserved farewell at home but thus putting in further jeopardy an important tour to the No. 1 team

Hence partially at fault.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach
of course he is playing for the 200th test. if one gets called off or he becomes unavailable he will play another

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I am a huge Sachin fan but still have this question. We all know Sachin has a penchant for records though he denies to the outside world that he cares for records. So what if he gets injured in the first test? Will he still retire? Or will he play the SA series to complete 200 tests? Or will BCCI arrange another series at home cancelling the SA series if Sachin recovers soon?

I do believe he will still retire but was just thinking about this hypothetical scenario.
Another hypothetical.

In the 2nd Test, WI set India 50 to win in the 4th innings. at 49, the first batsman is dismissed...

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The crowd will probably blockade the #3 in question (Pujara probably) until he returns back to the pavilion and sends Sachin out to play :)