Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Sachin Tendulkar to retire

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Singh Is King View Post
    Oh shut up. It aint that hard to meet players.

I've met Flintoff as well and spoken to him for couple minutes when he was doing Charity work outside Old Trafford before india v england t20. I've got picture proof so you can get all excited over it if you would like to see ?

When Virtat Kohli was 12th man in Indias disaster tour of England a few years ago in the Edgbaston Test, I met him walking past with Abhinav Mukund, and have pictures of that too. I would send the pics to you but can tell you are the type who would get all over excited
    You have totally and completely misunderstood my post.

Anyhoo, to get back on topic, Sachin Tendulkar has a beautiful cover drive.
    Last edited by BeeGee; 11-10-2013 at 04:43 PM.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    If I Have, I apologise. Shane Warne made me chuckle; saying Tendulkar was the best, then daylight, then Lara 3rd lol !
    Australias best batsman Bradman and best spinner Warne both absolutely love him and rated him as the best (after Bradman lol)...Then again, he did score more 100s against a unbelievable formidable Australian attack over the years than any other team.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
    You have totally and completely misunderstood my post.
    Perhaps AB's grumpiness rubbed off on him.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    If he'd brought up his 100th ton in the World Cup final do you think he'd have been motivated to carry on for the last 2 years?
    Definitely would've called time much earlier. Moreover, he may have performed better afterwards with no added 100th ton pressure on him.

Good that he's finally decided he's had enough, although should've retired around the time laxman did and therefore I reckon he will have played 10 tests too many in hope of finishing on a high.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Nah, that's a myth IMO. He wasn't great in Enland and Australia, but he was better then than he was playing both those nations at home, after the 100th ton.
    L Trumper and Cevno like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabinet96 View Post
    Nah, that's a myth IMO. He wasn't great in Enland and Australia, but he was better then than he was playing both those nations at home, after the 100th ton.
    You misunderstood.

if he had got his 100th ton out of the way when he was still in great nick then you would've expected him to do better in Eng, Aus, etc (he may have converted more of his 50s perhaps). But since he didn't, the pressure mounted and he went out of form and never recovered... And I feel the 2nd biggest mistake he made was to skip the WI tour after the WC.

This was pretty obvious from a mile away. Even during the India-Australia test series, there were whispers of India slotting in a two test series before the SA tour. (Wait a sec...that would be Tendy's 200th!). He was on his last legs in the previous two home series. It was ok to keep him for the Australia series because everyone else stunk too and Sachin is entitled to a longer rope than most. After an ordinary Aus series, it was crystal clear that he was done. He didn't deserve to tour SA and I'm glad he's not.

I'm not fond of record-chasing and I find stats like # of centuries or # of match-winning centuries to be meaningless. But if there's a stat to chase, 200 tests is pretty cool. Can't see anyone ever coming close to it.

Would I have been happier if Sachin called it a day earlier? Yes. Do I think it's atrocious that he only retired now, on this manufactured farewell series? Not really. I was really worried about him and India being embarrassed in South Africa. I'm less worried about that now. Rohit Sharma or Ajinkya Rahane should acquit themselves well and even if they don't, it'll be a great learning experience for either of them.

I started to follow cricket really closely in 1999 during the World Cup. There are only three guys who remain from that tournament now: Kallis, Chanders, Mahela. Wow.

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JontyPanesar View Post
    This was pretty obvious from a mile away. Even during the India-Australia test series, there were whispers of India slotting in a two test series before the SA tour. (Wait a sec...that would be Tendy's 200th!). He was on his last legs in the previous two home series. It was ok to keep him for the Australia series because everyone else stunk too and Sachin is entitled to a longer rope than most. After an ordinary Aus series, it was crystal clear that he was done. He didn't deserve to tour SA and I'm glad he's not.
    Was it only me who thought that he looked quite fantastic in Australia, until he got out that is? He looked the best of the Indian bats, and looked the most comfortable, again, until he unceremoniously, and often against the run of play, got out.

Was fine until Sydney, after that he looked about the same as the rest of them
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +

get ready for a broken ****in' arm

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Was it only me who thought that he looked quite fantastic in Australia, until he got out that is? He looked the best of the Indian bats, and looked the most comfortable, again, until he unceremoniously, and often against the run of play, got out.
    I was referring to the home series. He was the second best Indian batsman in Australia...which isn't saying a whole lot but it meant that other guys needed to go first before Tendulkar was going to deserve the axe

International Vice-Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Was brilliant in Melbourne... That innings had some sensational shots and he seriously looked like he was batting with a door.... He seemed to really enjoy that innings. Played very well in Sydney as well. H just got some good balls and got out in weird ways (chopping a wide half volley onto the stumps ffs). After that though, he seemed to go into his shell in the last two matches and was poor like everyone else bar Kohli.
    Last edited by OverratedSanity; 12-10-2013 at 12:59 AM.

Agree with Spark, Tendulkar was their best bat until the Perth test, where Kohli took over and Sachin regressed
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Loling at those looking for Rohit Sharma to replace Tendulkar in any meaningful sense in tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Loling at those looking for Rohit Sharma to replace Tendulkar in any meaningful sense in tests.
    ? Rohit has an outstanding FC record and has deserved a call to the test squad for a while now. Idk how you define meaningful, but if you mean an improvement over the current version of Sachin, I'd say yes. Rohit's biggest bugaboo is scoreboard pressure, something he won't be facing in a test match. Now if you're saying that he won't even get half as many centuries as Sachin and won't enjoy nearly as much success, then sure. But then I'm not sure what point you're making

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Agreed. Rohit would be a fine replacement. But so would Rahane. I wouldn't like to be the one making the choice.
    JontyPanesar likes this.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information