• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brett Lee is Rubish!

Eclipse

International Debutant
While I will maintian my opinion that he has the talent to go along way I simpily cant get over how crap he has bowled in the current test match.

Not only does he still bowl rubbish wide short balls and half volly's he has lost all his pace!!

I mean he struggeld to get into the 140's all day today most of his balls were about 133-139kph I even saw a few in the 120s.

William's had a faster avrage speed than Lee did today.

If the selectors want to pick the best bowling line up for the SCG Test they should drop Lee for Gillespie and keep Bracken and William's in the side.

Also it was good to see William's get some reward for his effort's in the feild he was sensational especialy that catch off Shewag.

Andre

International Regular
Jeez......Some of you guys are way too hard on cricketers.

Lee is nowhere near fully fit or match fit - for god sakes he's just had a torn side and ankle surgery.

It's completely and utterly unreasonable to expect him to be breaking records and making big hauls while he is still feeling his way back from injury.

Give the guy a break!!!

Eclipse

International Debutant
I will take the injury into consideration but it's not like this is a one off thing he has not bowled well in test cricket for quite some time.

Besides if he is not fully fit and only capable off bowling high 130's low 140's then he should not be playing IMO.

His pace was also well down in the test's against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

I dont think I am to hard on Brett Lee I have suported him long enough and this post is a result of 12-18 monthes of watching him bowl rubbish in test cricket.

Andre

International Regular
For starters, he was brilliant in the West Indies, so he hasn't bowled rubbish in Test cricket for the past 18 months.

It's completely and utterly unrealistic for him to come and blast the Indians out in Melbourne - it just was never going to happen, and the sooner people realise that the better.

If Damien Martyn, who hasn't scored a Test century since 2002, was injured and came back only to fail with a score below 20, would people be calling for his head?

Lee seems to have become of recent times everyone's fallout guy. He is there to serve a purpose and I think the Australians have faired better with him playing in this match.

Don't forget, he still took 4 wickets in the match.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Eclipse said:
Besides if he is not fully fit and only capable off bowling high 130's low 140's then he should not be playing IMO.

His pace was also well down in the test's against Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.
I agree on the first point , dont think he should have played & had we won in Adelaide Im sure he wouldnt have.

But yes he was at full pace against BAN & ZIM , just on the final day at Sydney he was down to 125 or thereabouts as he'd done his side muscle.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Andre said:
For starters, he was brilliant in the West Indies, so he hasn't bowled rubbish in Test cricket for the past 18 months.

It's completely and utterly unrealistic for him to come and blast the Indians out in Melbourne - it just was never going to happen, and the sooner people realise that the better.

If Damien Martyn, who hasn't scored a Test century since 2002, was injured and came back only to fail with a score below 20, would people be calling for his head?

Lee seems to have become of recent times everyone's fallout guy. He is there to serve a purpose and I think the Australians have faired better with him playing in this match.

Don't forget, he still took 4 wickets in the match.
Yes he was good in the west indies the best he has been in 3 years but that sort of bowling has been all to rare form Lee since 2000.

I like Lee beleve me I do I think he is a nice guys and that in top form he offers alot to any side not only his bowling but batting and feilding but I just cant ignor his figures over the last 3 years they are quite pathetic for a supposed strike bowler.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Any way my point is do you really think he deserves a place in the team before William's and Bracken who both in my opinion bowled much better than Lee did.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
Jeez......Some of you guys are way too hard on cricketers.

Lee is nowhere near fully fit or match fit - for god sakes he's just had a torn side and ankle surgery.

It's completely and utterly unreasonable to expect him to be breaking records and making big hauls while he is still feeling his way back from injury.

Give the guy a break!!!
Well to be fair, if he isn't fully match fit, why play him? You might end up with a Flintoff who trundles in and doesn't take wickets. I think people don't understand quite how much not being match-fit effects bowlers. Although Lee said himself that he felt as fit as ever.

Anyway Andre what's this! Supporting Lee??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
It seems to me that Lee developed a reputation for destroying batting lineups early in his career and that this reputation has never really died down. He took four 5-wicket hauls in his first 13 tests, but has not taken one for over two years. He does have a genuine knack breaking partnerships and taking another wicket quick succession, but usually does not maintain this momentum.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
I still can't believe that they dropped Andy Bichel who has taken more wickets at a better average than Brett Lee over the past year or so. He should have been first picked and the erst picked after him. Brett Lee has not developed as a bowler (just look at Shoab Akthar for a similar career) and just has a good pr team and the NSW bias going for him.

Seriously if analyse the Aussie attack today, apart from Tendulkar (a great wicket, but out of form) Williams picked up tailenders, Bracken picked up Chopra with a dubious decision and one other tailender and Lee mostly got carted around the field. MacGill bowled well without much luck.

Bichel should feel hard done by if he is dropped for the next test after his heroics in Adelaide.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
mavric41 said:
Brett Lee has not developed as a bowler (just look at Shoab Akthar for a similar career)
Similar except for Shoaib beginning to look the real deal in Tests as well as ODIs?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
mavric41 said:
I still can't believe that they dropped Andy Bichel who has taken more wickets at a better average than Brett Lee over the past year or so. He should have been first picked and the erst picked after him. Brett Lee has not developed as a bowler (just look at Shoab Akthar for a similar career) and just has a good pr team and the NSW bias going for him.

Seriously if analyse the Aussie attack today, apart from Tendulkar (a great wicket, but out of form) Williams picked up tailenders, Bracken picked up Chopra with a dubious decision and one other tailender and Lee mostly got carted around the field. MacGill bowled well without much luck.

Bichel should feel hard done by if he is dropped for the next test after his heroics in Adelaide.
Erm, a bit confused... are you saying Shoaib is good or bad? With his 11-wicket haul in the current Pak/NZ match his test bowling average is down to 23, whereas Lee's is now over 30. Shoaib has 8x5wi and 2x10wm from 29 tests, Lee has 4x5wi from 36 tests.

As for Bichel, I was stunned when i realised he wasn't playing. Didn't watch the first hour on day one, so when i saw both Bracken and Williams i thought Australia had picked 5 bowlers like they did in the West Indies. Probably Bracken will be dropped, though IMO Williams is worse.

Bazza

International 12th Man
When has Lee bowled well in tests? He took 57 wickets in his first 13 matches but hasn't had a 5-fer in 23 tests since (74 wickets with an average in the high 30s).

I think Shoaib has definitely turned into a world class pace bowler and he and Sami will always be a handful, but maybe Lee has had too many injuries or maybe without McGrath and Gillespie to take the pressure off he struggles? I don't know but over 2 years without a 5-fer is pretty unacceptable. In the same time Bichel has taken 54 wickets at less than 30 and only played 15 games.

NikhilN

International Regular
While I will maintian my opinion that he has the talent to go along way I simpily cant get over how crap he has bowled in the current test match.
calm down...he just came out of injury...and i also wonder how you bowl,i dont see you bowling out there.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont think Lee chuck's.

If he does then so do most fast bowlers. That is one area I think he is unfairly critersized.

I have also noticed just how easy it is for batsman to play good length ball's form Brett Lee they just skid straight on and dont kick and bounce like McGrath or Gillespie's good length ball's do.

If he is not getting seriouse swing he is extreamly easy to play batsman can confidentl come forward to his good length ball's. That is why I think he bowl's so many short ball's and half volly's because he actualy takes more wickets with them than he does with "good length ball's"

I dont know what happend but he used to bowl form a higher trajectory and his good length ball's were hard to handle now they just get punched confidently down the ground.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Adamc said:
Erm, a bit confused... are you saying Shoaib is good or bad? With his 11-wicket haul in the current Pak/NZ match his test bowling average is down to 23, whereas Lee's is now over 30. Shoaib has 8x5wi and 2x10wm from 29 tests, Lee has 4x5wi from 36 tests.

As for Bichel, I was stunned when i realised he wasn't playing. Didn't watch the first hour on day one, so when i saw both Bracken and Williams i thought Australia had picked 5 bowlers like they did in the West Indies. Probably Bracken will be dropped, though IMO Williams is worse.
I meant that Shoaib has developed and Lee has not over similar length careers and injury concerns. And considering Shoaib no longer has senior bowlers to learn from, he is doing very well.

Craig

World Traveller
I dont think he bowled all that well in the Caribbean. Some good spells, but some inconsistancy.