• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel 9 finally bow to benchmark00 pressure

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
no, it will only get overturned if the whole ball is missing the stumps.
Pretty sure it gets overturned if more than half the ball is missing the stumps.

Or at least that's how it was...

Or am I mental?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty sure it gets overturned if more than half the ball is missing the stumps.

Or at least that's how it was...

Or am I mental?

Nope, it's only overturned if the whole ball is missing.

What you're thinking of is if less than half the ball pitched in line with the stumps (i.e. more than half is outside leg stump) or hit the batsman outside the line of offstump.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia vs England, 2nd test match 2013-2014. Adelaide oval.

England first innings 33.2 overs in.

Thanks for playing, boys.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah you're laughing if you think that's a false positive. Any mark that was there showed up higher up the bat, after the ball had passed, and I'm not even convinced it was a mark on the bat rather than a reflection or some such. If Tubby Taylor can deduce that it wasn't an edge, it's not an issue.

benchmark00

Holy ****. Read this thread re: false positives and whether or not it's relevant where it is on the bat.

Nomnomnomnomnom.

benchmark00

What? The mark wasn't an edge noise, it was beyond the bat when the noise was made. So what are you saying? It was just a **** decision.

Good try though, obv still reeling from false positivegate last match.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I've seen people suggesting that the whole snicko for that was rigged. Like Channel 9 could somehow insert their own sound into the footage in seconds, and would want to screw Joe Root over in that particular way.

Tin foil hats over that way etc.

ganeshran

International Debutant
Just use the pitch map to check for balls pitched outside leg stump and very clear visible deflections that can be seen by the naked eye. DRS should be used only to prevent obvious howlers, not marginal calls.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't understand people's obsession over doubting the "validity" of the predictive path, especially over questions of height. It's simple physics ffs, you could give it to a high school student as a problem and they'd get the right answer, assuming that you've got the point of impact and the ball's velocity about right.

Burgey

What? The mark wasn't an edge noise, it was beyond the bat when the noise was made. So what are you saying? It was just a **** decision.

Good try though, obv still reeling from false positivegate last match.
I read the other day the umpires had been briefed on real time snicko to expect the noises to show up slightly after the ball passes the edge. I dunnot if that's right or not and really don't give a ****. What it tells you though is benchmark00 Limited should have invested in delayed noise graphics, which are now going gang busters.

uvelocity

International Coach
I don't understand people's obsession over doubting the "validity" of the predictive path, especially over questions of height. It's simple physics ffs, you could give it to a high school student as a problem and they'd get the right answer, assuming that you've got the point of impact and the ball's velocity about right.
i posted this in the match thread after the fact, but there was one that i think watson left, and it missed the off stump by a bees dick. the hawkeye of that delivery had the ball missing off stump by a couple of centimetres, and that wasn't even a prediction, it should have been purely ball tracking. would love to see/show a reverse angle of the actual vs the hawkeye.

benchmark00

How does that take into consideration potential dip and swing though?

ganeshran

International Debutant
It is not that simple. You have to account for lateral movement in the air and movement off the pitch. Those become tricky because the prediction change depending on when the ball hit the pad after pitching.