• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Channel 9 finally bow to benchmark00 pressure

dermo

International Vice-Captain
i for one would like to thank 00 for bringing down this skidmark on our game

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
New Zealand Cricket Keeps Faith With Hot Spot | Stuff.co.nz

"The more technology you can bring to a DRS [Decision Review System] discussion, the better the quality of your decision. We're a little surprised to see Hot Spot come off the table in Australia."

Crocker said Hot Spot was clearly not foolproof, but it was still an important tool in the DRS, used alongside other technology.

NZC partially funds the technology used by Sky and said the cost was "nowhere near" the reported A$250,000 (NZ$285,000) for Channel Nine to use Hot Spot in a series.
makes sense, IMO.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What is the point of all this prioritising the Big Bash over all other cricket by the Aussie board if it's not making them enough money to be able to afford stuff like Hot Spot???? Seriously that is just plain gay.

At least the kiwis have some sense.

Spark

Global Moderator
What is the point of all this prioritising the Big Bash over all other cricket by the Aussie board if it's not making them enough money to be able to afford stuff like Hot Spot???? Seriously that is just plain gay.

At least the kiwis have some sense.
Er, no.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
I'd rather they didn't give DRS to the umpires tbh. They'd use it for every appeal just to be safe, and it would slow the game down to a crawl.

Hotspot is **** though, never believed in it honestly. Snicko is infinitely better, and if its not used I'm happy for them to just forget technology for nicks and accept the umpires decision.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'd rather they didn't give DRS to the umpires tbh. They'd use it for every appeal just to be safe, and it would slow the game down to a crawl.
Possibly true and a fair point. But tbf they can and do confer on certain things at the moment with the 3rd umpire.

I'd imagine they'd rather back their decisions most of the time rather than refer it upstairs. And let's face it, if an elite umpire is referring everything, questions will be raised.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'd imagine they'd rather back their decisions most of the time rather than refer it upstairs. And let's face it, if an elite umpire is referring everything, questions will be raised.
NRL says hi. I don't think I saw a single on-field decision made about a try when I was watching (to be fair I am a very occasional viewer)

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
And let's face it, if an elite umpire is referring everything, questions will be raised.
I don't think so. Accuracy is where an umpire's emphasis should be. Things like game speed and environment etc should be up to the lawmakers.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Giving DRS to the umps would be a failure and slow the game - just look at how conservative they are with run-outs/stumpings...

And to all the stupid ****s like Mark Taylor saying "oh, well just do it in between balls or before the batsman walks off the ground to save time" - well that **** has been proven not to work last year in the Ryobi Cup because the line between a clear decision and a marginal one was blurred.

Ultimately the only solution is for the players to get better at using it and the third umpires better at making the calls

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Do we know when real time snicko is going to be available?? I think once this is part of the system in conjunction with hot spot it should resolve a lot of the problems we saw in the Ashes.

But if the ICC are serious about sorting this **** out then the first thing they have to do is make it compulsory for every International fixture and foot the bill themselves for the technology. BS how it is down to the local broadcasters to pay.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a pretty big bill to pay, I'd rather see that money go into cricket development in Zimbabwe or associates than be spent on something like hotspot

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I can live with them scrapping hotspot if it is too expensive.......been proven to be a pos anyway.

But we must uniform the technology and make it the same if Bangladesh are playing a home series against the Windies as the Ashes in Australia.

Edit:

Or India are playing anyone.