View Poll Results: Should The DRS (Decision Review System) Be A Part Of Cricket?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 81.25%
  • No

2 12.50%
  • Ask Someone Who Cares Coz I Couldn't Care Less

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Rules That Need To Be Modified, Added or Trashed

Icon6 Rules That Need To Be Modified, Added or Trashed

What rules don't have a place in our game and should be trashed or at least modified.

Do you have an awesome rule that would make a good addition to the game of cricket. Any rule that might get narrow minded kids to think about joining cricket

Give me some (and complete the poll above at the same time if u can)...

Cheers
    Tshep
    James Pattinson> Dayle Steyn> Jimmy Anderson> Ryan Harris> Stewart Broad

more comprehensive time-wasting related rules.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    The ball has to touch/ go over the rope to be four. Save all the replays when blokes dive to stop the ball. Shouldn't matter if the fielder touches the rope but the ball doesn't

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Agree with the boundary thing. Current law is stupid.

posters need a minimum of 5000 posts before starting a thread
    BeeGee, Flem274* and Prince EWS like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    posters need a minimum of 5000 posts before starting a thread
    I would complain, but after last night's debacle I don't think I will
    Last edited by Maximas; 06-10-2013 at 06:19 PM.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    There are two colours in my head

Sugarealm

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    The ball has to touch/ go over the rope to be four. Save all the replays when blokes dive to stop the ball. Shouldn't matter if the fielder touches the rope but the ball doesn't
    This.

As for DRS I think it's fine the way it is, as long as the umpiring is competent. People were complaining during the Ashes that there were DRS errors, but completely ignore the fact that those decisions would still be wrong without DRS and we would have had exponentially more bad umpiring decisions if we didn't have DRS.

Anything that leads to more correct decisions is a good rule in my book.
    hendrix likes this.

I don't really understand why you can get an LBW if the ball pitches outside off, but not if it pitches outside leg. It's completely illogical to me, and penalizes a leg spinner but not an offspinner.

If the ball pitches outside leg, but hits in line and is going to hit the stumps, why shouldn't it be LBW?

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I don't really understand why you can get an LBW if the ball pitches outside off, but not if it pitches outside leg. It's completely illogical to me, and penalizes a leg spinner but not an offspinner.

If the ball pitches outside leg, but hits in line and is going to hit the stumps, why shouldn't it be LBW?
    because your legs are on the leg side of your body, while the bat is on the other side. It's always harder to get some bat on something going down the leg side than it is the off side - hence less leniency for leg side wides in short format cricket.

Imagine if you had to play a shot at every Shane Warne ball he bowled into the footmarks from round the wicket, he would've had 1000 test wickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post

No that is a very important rule. It's hard to play balls that pitch outside your legs, especially from spinners. If you pay LBWs that pitch outside leg then playing leg-spin will become exceedingly difficult.

EDIT: ^They both said it first

Quote Originally Posted by hendrix View Post
    because your legs are on the leg side of your body, while the bat is on the other side. It's always harder to get some bat on something going down the leg side than it is the off side - hence less leniency for leg side wides in short format cricket.
    Yeh, I guess so. I guess Murali bowling to a LH is the same as Warne bowling to a RH.

An amendment to an existing Law I would bring in is that the wicket is deemed 'broken' at the point of contact which causes the bail to leave the stumps.

This would have no effect in Club and most FC cricket but in a televised game it would take out the problem "had the bail left the groove before the batsman made his ground" which is often hard to see as it is between frames.

I also see logic in saying that when the stumps are broken by an act of fielding (hit by the ball or by a hand or hands (or arm of the hand) holding the ball) the ball becomes dead. Although batsmen tend not to run in such a situation if the ball crosses the boundary it has penalised good fielding.

I would scrap the Law relating to above waist high full tosses where an automatic warning system currently has to be enforced. Keep it as a no ball and revert to the old way - if the umpires believe there was intent the bowler is immediately removed from the attack and can't bowl again.

Quote Originally Posted by Biryani Pillow View Post
    An amendment to an existing Law I would bring in is that the wicket is deemed 'broken' at the point of contact which causes the bail to leave the stumps.

This would have no effect in Club and most FC cricket but in a televised game it would take out the problem "had the bail left the groove before the batsman made his ground" which is often hard to see as it is between frames.

I also see logic in saying that when the stumps are broken by an act of fielding (hit by the ball or by a hand or hands (or arm of the hand) holding the ball) the ball becomes dead. Although batsmen tend not to run in such a situation if the ball crosses the boundary it has penalised good fielding.

I would scrap the Law relating to above waist high full tosses where an automatic warning system currently has to be enforced. Keep it as a no ball and revert to the old way - if the umpires believe there was intent the bowler is immediately removed from the attack and can't bowl again.

I agree with all of these things. Especially the bail being removed thing. I'd much prefer that as soon as the ball hits the stumps is the point in which the batsman must be home to save his wicket.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    yep

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information