• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rules That Need To Be Modified, Added or Trashed

Should The DRS (Decision Review System) Be A Part Of Cricket?

• Total voters

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but I am against the leg byes for evasive action rule. If a bowler is good enough to nail some batsman on the helmet why should the team suffer by the ball going to the boundary.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think a number of people are against leg byes in general, shot offered, evasive action or not.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I bowled the perfect delivery on the weekend pitched on middle straightened and beat the batsman's forward defensive prod but went over the stumps just. Therefore I think they should make the stumps 6 inches higher.

You could argue I should have bowled it fuller but then it would have been over pitched and he would have driven me.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2nd match, JLT One-Day Cup at Brisbane, Sep 29 2017 | Match Report | ESPNCricinfo

The Cricket Australia XI received five penalty runs after Param Uppal drove a ball towards mid-off, where Labuschagne dived and missed the ball, but faked a throw that led to Uppal initially turning back from the run he had started. However, once Uppal realised the ball had passed Labuschagne, he completed the run.

The MCC's new Law 41.5 states that: "it is unfair for any fielder wilfully to attempt, by word or action, to distract, deceive or obstruct either batsman after the striker has received the ball". The umpires have the discretion to award five penalty runs if they determine that such deception is wilful.
Why was this rule added? Would have liked it to become a popular tactic for making batsmen dive for no reason as seen below.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What a bizarre rule. Derek Randall used to field at cover point and have the ball in his pocket and pretend to throw it before you could say josuatreegrabber. He would have given away 50 runs an innings.

cnerd123

likes this
2nd match, JLT One-Day Cup at Brisbane, Sep 29 2017 | Match Report | ESPNCricinfo

Why was this rule added? Would have liked it to become a popular tactic for making batsmen dive for no reason as seen below.

Yea when were briefed of this new rule I literally brought up this incident as an example on how fake fielding is a lot of fun.

Clearly the men in suits don't agree. Thankfully this law, like all the others, is in the hands of the umpires to enforce. If they don't feel any such incident is egregious enough to warrant a penalty, they can let it go.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah not cheap, a legit tactic, player's own fault if they get off the base. In cricket could also be a legit tactic to cause a runout or prevent an extra run.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not sure about the other instances but this just feels cheap.

Wikipedia said:
Former third basemanMatt Williams used a different technique. On more than one occasion, he asked the runner to step off the base so that Williams could sweep the dirt off it, then tagged out the runner when the runner complied.[SUP][4][/SUP] This worked twice.[SUP][5] [/SUP]

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
fakes are so fun to watch in baseball, although it does feel a bit cheap

I remember seeing a movie called "Rookie of the Year".. I was 9 or 10 when I watched it and they showed the lead character using some sort of similar tactic. I was telling my friends how stupid the baseball rules were and why cricket was better.. :laugh: