Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 278
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: English off-season 13/14

  1. #1
    International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,023

    English off-season 13/14

    Plenty of county players playing all over the world this winter.

    Already a few already out in Aus playing grade cricket. Chris Dent, Will Tavare(both glos) + others already played a game. Many more to come over the next few months. James Taylor heading out to Perth again.

    ECB named some additional squads to the ashes and performance squad this past week

    The following players will undertake S&C programme pre-xmas and bowling programme in Potchefstroom in February:

    Mike Reed – Glamorgan CCC
    Craig Miles – Gloucestershire CCC
    Tom Helm – Middlesex CCC
    Craig Overton – Somerset CCC
    Olly Stone – Northamptonshire CCC

    Scholarships overseas –

    The following players will be playing Grade cricket in Australia this winter, organised by the ECB:

    Scott Borthwick – Durham CCC
    Rory Burns – Surrey CCC
    Luke Wells – Sussex CCC

    The following players will be attending the Darren Lehman Cricket Academy in Adelaide this winter, organised by the ECB:

    Matt Dunn – Surrey CCC
    Ned Eckersley – Leicestershire CCC
    James Sykes – Leicestershire CCC
    Ryan Buckley – Durham CCC

    + Fell, Kohler-Cadmore(both worcs), Payne(glos) arranged by their counties.

    Plenty of others are out in Aus independently playing grade cricket. Welcome to Weet-Bix MyCricket:

    Kieswetter, Hales, Tremlett, Lumb, Shah, Mascarenhas(now playing as a local) and Wright have all signed up for the big bash. Onions signed for SA franchise Dolphins for the winter. Presumably a few will turn out in Zimbabwe as they have the last few years + wherever they can get get a game including BPL, IPL, NZ


    On the county scene in the last week Buttler has joined Lancs and Harmison retired. Hampshire have been the busiest releasing a few players and bringing in Matt Coles and Will Smith. Many counties in the process of releasing players. At present there hasn't been too many big names released.

    Winter well all.
    Last edited by theegyptian; 06-10-2013 at 08:10 AM.

  2. #2
    International Coach Pothas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Surbiton, UK
    Posts
    11,842
    Pleased with Hampshire's moves so far, keenly awaiting to see who this overseas bowler is going to be.

    Hope Liam Dawson gets himself a good spot overseas.

  3. #3
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,473
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    The following players will be attending the Darren Lehman Cricket Academy in Adelaide this winter,
    where they will learn to walk
    'It seems that perfection is attained, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to take away.'

  4. #4
    School Boy/Girl Captain Watson33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK.
    Posts
    135
    Steve Rhodes has confirmed Worcestershire are to have an overseas player for the coming season. Would like to see an international all-rounder come in, someone like Shakib Al-Hasan. He was terrific for Worcestershire.


  5. #5
    International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,023
    I missed this nugget of greatneess but Ravi has turned up in Bangladesh playing for Prime Bank. Scored 74 on debut. L E G E N D.

    Prime Bank Cricket Club v Sheikh Jamal Dhanmondi Club at Bogra, Oct 7, 2013 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

  6. #6
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,222
    Sounds like a dangerous place to me - looks like it may cost Darren Stevens his career

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,513
    Maurice Chambers has signed a two-year deal at Northants after Essex decided to let him go. Warwickshire, where he spent time on loan at the end of this season, also offered him a contract but understandably he believes he has a better chance of regular first-team cricket at Wantage Road. As for Essex, with Masters, Napier, Topley, and Mills, there is sufficient quality there but some strength in depth may be required especially as Saj Mahmood's signing last year appears to be a real flop. Reece Topley had an outstanding season with 48 wickets, so too Napier, while Masters was as reliable and consistent as ever topping 50 wickets in the CC again. Tymal Mills found the going tough at times but will be all the better for a taste of some competitive CC cricket, he should also be buoyed by his very impressive spells against England in the tour game where he certainly made life uncomfortable for some very accomplished batsmen.

    At 26 Chambers is understandably seeking first-team cricket, and I don't blame him for moving on. He will be hoping to develop just as Chris Wright did after leaving Essex.
    http://batallday.blogspot.com/ - Cricket blog dedicated to domestic cricket.

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS.
    Posts
    15,590
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodster View Post
    Maurice Chambers has signed a two-year deal at Northants after Essex decided to let him go. Warwickshire, where he spent time on loan at the end of this season, also offered him a contract but understandably he believes he has a better chance of regular first-team cricket at Wantage Road. As for Essex, with Masters, Napier, Topley, and Mills, there is sufficient quality there but some strength in depth may be required especially as Saj Mahmood's signing last year appears to be a real flop. Reece Topley had an outstanding season with 48 wickets, so too Napier, while Masters was as reliable and consistent as ever topping 50 wickets in the CC again. Tymal Mills found the going tough at times but will be all the better for a taste of some competitive CC cricket, he should also be buoyed by his very impressive spells against England in the tour game where he certainly made life uncomfortable for some very accomplished batsmen.

    At 26 Chambers is understandably seeking first-team cricket, and I don't blame him for moving on. He will be hoping to develop just as Chris Wright did after leaving Essex.
    That was a massive shock, who could have predicted that?
    marc71178 and Prince EWS like this.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Manchester, England
    Posts
    5,513
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    That was a massive shock, who could have predicted that?
    I am detecting a hint of sarcasm there mate.

  10. #10
    International 12th Man SeamUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,614
    Follow all the ins and outs - BBC Sport - County ins & outs - signings, departures and rumours

    Charlie Shreck has left Kent. Not updated above yet.

    ENGLAND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMME

    Dominic Sibley, the Surrey schoolboy who became the youngest scorer of a Championship double-hundred last week, has been named among England's Under-19 touring party for a tri-series in the UAE during December. Yorkshire's 15-year-old bowler Matthew Fisher was also included in the 18-man squad.

    The Under-19s form part of a larger England Development Programme intake for the winter, announced by the ECB. The players selected will take on Pakistan and UAE, ahead of the Under-19 World Cup in February 2014, also to be held in the UAE. The other half of the EDP, formed largely of Under-17s, will take part in training and development camps at Loughborough, with fixtures scheduled against Sri Lanka Under-17s next year.

    "This winter will offer great development opportunities for both of these squads of young players," the EDP chairman of selectors, David Graveney, said. "We will have two competitive England Under-19 tours for the players selected to be involved in, which will be an excellent opportunity for development and also the testing of skills of our best young players under tournament pressure in challenging conditions.

    "The EDP squad will also have a great opportunity to develop their games at a world class facility at the NCPC in Loughborough, with access to a variety of leading coaches, plus later a training camp in Sri Lanka testing their skills under extremely tough conditions."
    England U-19s squad: Tom Barber (Hampshire), Ed Barnard (Worcestershire), Karl Carver (Yorkshire), Joe Clarke (Worcestershire), Ben Duckett (Northamptonshire), Harry Finch (Sussex), Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire), Miles Hammond (Gloucestershire), Ryan Higgins (Middlesex), Robert Jones (Lancashire), Lewis McManus (Hampshire), Rob Sayer (Leicestershire), Will Rhodes (Yorkshire), Josh Shaw (Yorkshire), Dom Sibley (Surrey), Jonny Tattersall (Yorkshire), Kishen Velani (Essex), Jack Winslade (Surrey)

    England Development Programme squad: Ben Green (Somerset), Max Holden (Middlesex), Arthur Godsal (Middlesex), Aaron Beard (Essex), Harry Dearden (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Haseeb Hameed (Lancashire), Jared Warner (Yorkshire), Mosun Hussain (Yorkshire) Joe Weatherley (Hampshire), Aneurin Donald (Glamorgan), Simon Walton (Nottinghamshire), Matt Taylor (Northamptonshire), Tom Moores (Leicestershire), Brad Taylor (Hampshire), Anuj Dal (Nottinghamshire), Harvey Hosein (Derbyshire)

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,222
    Why are Durham skint?

  12. #12
    School Boy/Girl Captain Watson33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK.
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Why are Durham skint?
    Didn't they overshoot their salary cap before the 2012 season? They haven't really released too many players since then so maybe they are still close to it so can't bring anyone in. If I recall correctly, I think that's why they didn't bring an overseas in for the season just gone.

  13. #13
    International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,023
    Durham like plenty of counties have pretty severe financial problems.

    This article is pretty good at explaining a lot of the reasons. Not new but not a bad overview of county finances and some of the problems they've had since the credit crunch.
    County cricket: A commercial crusade for the 21st century | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

    Pretty impressive (or not) for Durham to actual break the salary cap as they did in 2012. Must have been some terrible book keeping given all the players surrey have gone through the last couple of years and yet durham were the team who broke the salary cap. They did tie up Harmison to a costly 4 year deal of which he barely played for the last two years.

    Thankfully even though Durham don't have any money it looks like they'll come out the otherside doing well and they're producing some excellent players. In fairness their story has been incredible. From minor county to three time county champion and producing good players for England in only 21 years. In that time (since 1992) only Warwickshire have more championships(4) whilst surrey and sussex also have 3. Hopefully their story should give motivation to the struggling teams like Glos and Leics.


    Couple of articles about Moeen Ali. England Cricket Features: George Dobell speaks to Moeen Ali, a man on a mission | ESPN Cricinfo Moeen Ali: Part Of The Family | All Out Cricket - Ashes.

    Interesting stuff. He sounds like a great role model. Is comfortable in his skin and beliefs and comfortable in the english game whilst not preaching for others to change. I know I'd read a few fans talking about Moeen and how he should reeally be playing for England and I like him. BUt the facts are that before this season his previous two seasons in the first division he averaged 26 and 33 with the bat.

    His dad says it well "Now people say to me, 'If he didn't have a beard, or if his beard was shorter and neater, he would have played for England already.' But we don't think that's true at all. Not these days. He just needed to be more consistent and, now that he is, he is starting to interest the selectors. That's the way it should be."

    Would be great for English cricket and culture if Moeen made the team and was a success though. Would hopefully inspire the muslim community. Need to harness the whole cricket loving community and hopefully illustrate that there are no barriers to whoever wants to play cricket for England- and greater understanding and more positive figures for the non muslim community to look upon.
    Last edited by theegyptian; 16-10-2013 at 12:13 PM.

  14. #14
    School Boy/Girl Captain Watson33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Birmingham, UK.
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Durham like plenty of counties have pretty severe financial problems.

    This article is pretty good at explaining a lot of the reasons. Not new but not a bad overview of county finances and some of the problems they've had since the credit crunch.
    County cricket: A commercial crusade for the 21st century | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

    Pretty impressive (or not) for Durham to actual break the salary cap as they did in 2012. Must have been some terrible book keeping given all the players surrey have gone through the last couple of years and yet durham were the team who broke the salary cap. They did tie up Harmison to a costly 4 year deal of which he barely played for the last two years.

    Thankfully even though Durham don't have any money it looks like they'll come out the otherside doing well and they're producing some excellent players. In fairness their story has been incredible. From minor county to three time county champion and producing good players for England in only 21 years. In that time (since 1992) only Warwickshire have more championships(4) whilst surrey and sussex also have 3. Hopefully their story should give motivation to the struggling teams like Glos and Leics.


    Couple of articles about Moeen Ali. England Cricket Features: George Dobell speaks to Moeen Ali, a man on a mission | ESPN Cricinfo Moeen Ali: Part Of The Family | All Out Cricket - Ashes.

    Interesting stuff. He sounds like a great role model. Is comfortable in his skin and beliefs and comfortable in the english game whilst not preaching for others to change. I know I'd read a few fans talking about Moeen and how he should reeally be playing for England and I like him. BUt the facts are that before this season his previous two seasons in the first division he averaged 26 and 33 with the bat.

    His dad says it well "Now people say to me, 'If he didn't have a beard, or if his beard was shorter and neater, he would have played for England already.' But we don't think that's true at all. Not these days. He just needed to be more consistent and, now that he is, he is starting to interest the selectors. That's the way it should be."

    Would be great for English cricket and culture if Moeen made the team and was a success though. Would hopefully inspire the muslim community. Need to harness the whole cricket loving community and hopefully illustrate that there are no barriers to whoever wants to play cricket for England- and greater understanding and more positive figures for the non muslim community to look upon.
    Yeah I read that on the train this morning on my way into Uni, excellent piece from George Dobell. Always do like reading his pieces, very good writing most of the time!

  15. #15
    International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,023
    Luke Wright, David Willey, James Fuller (and Brad Hodge) all signed up for auckland in the NZ T20 this winter. First overseas job for Willey.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. English off season 2012/13
    By brockley in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 24-03-2013, 05:36 AM
  2. An english winter season?
    By Autobahn in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-01-2006, 09:31 AM
  3. English Season Predictions
    By Jamee999 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 13-04-2004, 08:14 PM
  4. English Cricket season
    By chris.hinton in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 472
    Last Post: 24-09-2003, 04:06 AM
  5. The English Season is only 2 weeks away
    By chris.hinton in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 06-04-2003, 02:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •