• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IPL too many aging stars?

brockley

International Captain
Will be an interesting auction,your planning for 3 years.
And you have Mike Hussey 38,Nannes 37,Jaywardne 36,Dave Hussey 36,Mahmood 38,Lee 37,Kallis 38,Tendulker 40,Oram 35,Hodge 38,Dravid 40,Shah 35,Tambe 42,Hogg 42,Gayle 34,Dihlsan 37,Kartik 37,Zaheer Khan 35,Muralli 41 and Sangakarra 36.
Thats a lot of old players,can you get good replacements to replace them?

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Yes. I doubt it will last in its current situation with so many aging stars as you say, but I like that having left a mark on test cricket, that guys like Dravid and Hussey can go to pasture, as it were. Replacements will come through as the next few players retire from their countries' test sides.

brockley

International Captain
I know many Aussies and Saffies will get signed whether they are good enough is another thing.The loss of England and Pakistan players coupled with the aging structure will put pressure on signing class players,i expect a monetary blow out for players.
For example James Faulkner could be a 1 million dollar man,can bat,field, has age on his side,proven bowler.

brockley

International Captain
I expect more maxwell situations,but it won't replace class.
Case in point would you sign Mike Hussey to a 3 year deal,or even Jaques Kallis.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, soon to retire test players and guys like Finch who will probably stop playing FC cricket soon will probably be the replacements

brockley

International Captain
Finch already playing in IPL but his franchise side Pune cut.They have boned the extent of Aussie talent playing,could get more Saffies.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
when you say replaced, do you mean as in the talent being replaced or simply the numbers, because they will have no problem making up the numbers as far as I'm concerned, I was talking in terms of replacing their talent.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Will be an interesting auction,your planning for 3 years.
And you have Mike Hussey 38,Nannes 37,Jaywardne 36,Dave Hussey 36,Mahmood 38,Lee 37,Kallis 38,Tendulker 40,Oram 35,Hodge 38,Dravid 40,Shah 35,Tambe 42,Hogg 42,Gayle 34,Dihlsan 37,Kartik 37,Zaheer Khan 35,Muralli 41 and Sangakarra 36.
Thats a lot of old players,can you get good replacements to replace them?
  • The Husseys, Nannes, Mahela, Hodge, Gayle, Dilshan, Kartik, Sanga, Shah - Very fit, and will last long enough
  • Lee, Oram, Zaheer, Murali - Injury-prone
  • Dravid, Tendulkar, - Likely to retire
  • Kallis, Mahmood, Hogg - Irrelevant, but will somehow get a prime place in an XI
  • Tambe - He's just begun

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Too many foreigners is the problem.
This. We hear the FLT20 (England) and Pro 20 (SA) are better than IPL in terms of actual cricket played, without depending so heavily on so many foreigners. Big Bash League, not so much.