• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quotas to be reintroduced for South Africa

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God, the people who shoot off so half ****ed just don't understand the situation in South Africa.

Sporting success is such a small thing for the country when you compare it to the social issues it has gone through, and continue to go through.

Sport is a very powerful tool for the country to move forward. If that means sacrificing some success on the field in the short term for the greater good then so be it.
So the solution to making up for past-racism is to just be racist against the other race?

In a crazy way it almost makes sense.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
God, the people who shoot off so half ****ed just don't understand the situation in South Africa.

Sporting success is such a small thing for the country when you compare it to the social issues it has gone through, and continue to go through.

Sport is a very powerful tool for the country to move forward. If that means sacrificing some success on the field in the short term for the greater good then so be it.
Ordinarily I'd be inclined to agree with this, but the cynic in me tells me this has nothing to do with the greater good of South African society, and is just CSA looking at that 80% and trying to find the easiest way of getting more of them through the turnstiles and increasing their revenues accordingly

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Had they stayed in SA, they would have made it to the top. AB, Smith, Steyn, Morkel etc have shown that if you are good enough you are going to make it to the top.
Nah this is far too simplistic. Talent needs to be nurtured and players need to play high level cricket to develop.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think quotas is a bad idea to get the game in to groups of people who are at a disadvantageous position. For example, Sri Lanka had a ravaging war for three decades and nprth and east of the country added nothing to the production line of cricketers. I would be for the idea of at least two should be picked from north and east in Sri Lanklan squad, because it will give a huge incentive for the youth in above areas to take up the sport.

91Jmay

International Coach
Always amazes me in these debates, when the 'pick the best players' crowd just blinded pretend cricketers are produced in a vacuum. Like AB and Graeme Smith are who they are soley because of hard work or natural talent.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Well they lost Wagner due to the quota system. CSA asked him several times to come back iirc (Howsie might have supplied this info?) but he turned them down because he wanted to pay for a country where he was selected on merit.
Ummm how does this stop players from being selected on merit?

Thank god. Some sanity in this thread.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No body else remembers a young Justin Ontong being selected ahead of Jacque Rudolph? Definitely wasn't on merit.
We're currently debating whether the Aussie selectors will recall Mitchell Johnson ffs.

Aside from the point Benchmark made about the social aspect, there's also the fact that they're not tapping 80% of the potential talent pool. Just like player rotation, some selection decision must be made with the long term in mind.

And let's face it, nothing is fair. If you're born in NZ, you only have a competitive pool of a few thousand before you reach domestic contracts. How much competition for spots is there in India?

The fact of the matter is, spots are limited. Everyone requires a bit of luck to get there. People have to take their opportunity.

Anyway, Rudolph made it in the end didn't he?

TheJediBrah

I don't get it. The best player made it. What's wrong with this?
Just pointing out that the wrong decision was made initially because of the quota.

And Justin Ontong will always be known as the guy that was not good enough to play International Cricket but did anyway because of his race.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
There are so many players who've played test cricket but aren't good enough. I just don't see your point here. I'm not even sure Ontong is actually an example of the quota system. In any case, his selection is not what's being proposed here, is it?

TheJediBrah

There are so many players who've played test cricket but aren't good enough. I just don't see your point here. I'm not even sure Ontong is actually an example of the quota system. In any case, his selection is not what's being proposed here, is it?
Point is, quota system = bad

And yes Ontong was selected ahead of Rudolph in 2002 I think, directly because of the quota

The best way to encourage young cricketers of different ethnicities to play the game is through heroes like Makhaya Ntini who earn their position in their own right and dominate the game, not by thrusting out-of-their-depth players who are keeping better players out of the team.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Point is, quota system = bad

And yes Ontong was selected ahead of Rudolph in 2002 I think, directly because of the quota

The best way to encourage young cricketers of different ethnicities to play the game is through heroes like Makhaya Ntini who earn their position in their own right and dominate the game, not by thrusting out-of-their-depth players who are keeping better players out of the team.
1. Players still have plenty of opportunity to earn selection. If you're good enough, you'll get there.

2. You don't always select the absolute best players. This has been a factor in cricket even before the idea of rotating fast bowlers to prevent injury came about.

Further to this, the proposed quota system doesn't extend to the national team.

TheJediBrah

1. Players still have plenty of opportunity to earn selection. If you're good enough, you'll get there.

2. You don't always select the absolute best players. This has been a factor in cricket even before the idea of rotating fast bowlers to prevent injury came about.

Further to this, the proposed quota system doesn't extend to the national team.
I don't see how either of those points are really relevant at all to be honest.

Good to hear it doesn't extend to the National team, I wasn't aware of that at all.

As you can tell I'm just against the idea of quotas in general. Just as I'm against the idea of any form of racism, affirmative action etc. I think they are just stupid and everyone should treated equally and selections based on nothing other than merit.