• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Favourite matches played in

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Mostly sincere apologies if such a thread exists, but I wanted to recant a match I played in back in 2004 for a works team, on an AstroTurf wicket.

The match was 12 overs per side, and we had only formed our team at the beginning of the season, from enthusiastic, but mostly talentless, chancers.
Earlier in the season, this opposition (our local hospital’s second XI) has spanked us something in the region of 138-4 to 35 all out. However, in the first contest a good proportion of their runs came by virtue of us literally not knowing how to ball straight and giving away about 50 extras. Also, in the first match, they had a cardiac surgeon playing for them that rumour (and ability) had it, was a first class and possibly even ODI player back in Pakistan in his younger days. The ridiculous ease he brushed 40 runs and then took about 3/6 with his offspin testified to that. But he was gone now, moved to another site – so revenge was on the cards.

We started badly, losing our openers inside 3 overs for about 10 runs. And then our only “real” player was out at the half-way mark after smashing about 30 runs off 12 balls. The rest of us dug in. I scored a run an ball 8 before being bowled clean trying one of those S.Waugh type sweep shots - among other such scores - and in true Agar-like fashion, our 10 or jack (can’t remember which) slugged 20-odd off the last over and a half.
We posted 92 overall, which was our biggest score of the season by about 30 runs –against the league’s best team too. Nothing short of a heroic effort in the circumstances. They actually looked worried.

Their opening batsmen were clearly “real” cricketers. Kitted out to the max, and played textbook standard shots all over the place. I bowled quicker then than I do now, but not quick enough to drop short on a hollow Astro-turf wicket, and when I did their lad hit me into the river about half a mile down the road. About half way (6 overs in) they were 60-ish for 0. But both of them lost their wickets in the next over. We had one lad for us who was quick as hell, but suffered glass back. But we threw him on with the threat of a beating, and he trapped both of them LB within 3 or 4 deliveries. We bowled the remaining 7 for about 26 and won the match by 4 runs with a full over left. I took two wickets, one were the lad tried to come down the pitch to hit straight and I knocked over his off, and the other I released quite blindly only to look up and see it knock over his leg stump as he moved across the stumps (pure luck but who cares).

I’ll always remember that game, for the simple fact that if any one of us had given a fraction less, we would have lost. It was our Rocky moment!

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice, I recently played in a house cricket final for my school. The format was like under 11s, 5 pairs bat and bowl together, about 20 overs a side, 5 runs taken off for a wicket. I took a couple of catches and wickets with my offspin darts, and then came in with the team's big hitter as the final pair and we knocked off the final few runs in a tense finish.

Chubb

International Regular
Best I played was a friendly in Devon against the Old Haberdashers in 2006. They got 240 in about 50 overs (this was a time game). I dropped a catch in the last over of their innings. Was down to bat three and the opener got out second ball, we were 0-1. I have rarely felt as confident batting as I did that day. It was a strange feeling. I shut up shop for a while, we lost a few more wickets. At one point we were 40-4 with 25 overs left. Then a guy I knew from a colts team, a Devon U19s player a couple of years younger than me, came in. He hit the first ball for six. I sped up as much as I could and fed him the strike, we got up to 160-4 and I got bowled trying to force the pace.

There's a particular patch of play I remember, a slow bowler on, me on strike, he dropped short and I pulled it to the boundary. Next ball same result. Third was up on off and I pushed it for a single to mid-off. It sticks in my mind because I was IN CONTROL like I'd never been before.

When I got off they told me I'd got 48. Never made a 50 before. anyway the Devon colt got 91, the cpatain got a quick 40 but it came down to the last man - actually a girl, but a Devon player - in the last over. She scrambled a bye and we won.

Was a perfect day - a tight game against a good side who were pleasant to play against on a sunny day with a rock-hard pitch. And it was my best innings up to that point. I made a fifty a couple of weeks later - but this was the best game I ever played even if it was only a friendly.

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I remember getting a team out for 17 once, 2 run outs and only two bowlers. We went in and made a tonne. It was still early so we let them bat again. I'm not sure what they made second time, but it was a bit better. But it was my favourite domination game.
My favourite game was a final and we were more desperate for the win. Good all round performance it was.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
March 1999

It was just a couple of months since the Chennai test of 1999 and the heartbreak had almost worn off. I was just 10 years old but still remember it well. It was the semi final of our school inter house competition. The match was between Vivek house (for which I played) and Vinay house. Traditionally, these were the two houses who'd eventually end up winning almost every intra school sporting tournament and the rivalry was pretty much India-Pakistan lite... Not joking, there were some crazy incidents every time we played each other.

The team consisted of players anywhere between 10-16 years of age so kids like me usually warmed the benches and never got to actually take the field. That changed in the semi though

Vinay batted first in the 15 over game and got 76. Pretty decent score considering the ground was quite large. We started the chase pretty well and reached 50-4 in 10 overs, 27 needed off the last five but importantly, our best batsman the opener was still out there. Then in the 11th over, while scampering for a single the two batters collided and of course not only did the fielding side run out the in form batsman they jeered them before taking the bails off. Best batsman out, non striker injured, so 50-4 effectively became 50-6 with only one half decent batsman left. The captain then came to me and said he would be subbing me in if another wicket fell. (We were allowed to make one sub while fielding, one while batting)

I sat on the bench wishing my not so great batting wouldn't be needed. The next pair got us to 71 at the start of the final over. The last recognised batsman was off strike. First ball of the last over, a runout led to me needing to walk out. The crowd's noise made me sick to my stomach and I might have peed a bit but my captain pushed me onto the field.
14.2 overs Dot ball, swish across the line, missed
14.3 overs Dot ball, swish across the line, missed
14.4 overs Dot ball, swish across the line, missed

At this point, I'm just torn to pieces and want to be anywhere in the world but there. Forget dropping a catch, THIS is imo the worst feeling in cricket. To be fair to me the bowler was an amazing spinner who no one knew how to play properly
All three had been leg breaks and I only ever played one shot... The Richard Levi hoick through mid wicket. The other batsman came up to me and said "Abe Bh**C*** seedha khel aur strike de mujhe" which roughly translates to "Just play straight and give me the strike you ****" . 6 runs to get 2 balls left

I listened to his advice but for some reason didn't follow it

14.5 overs Swish across the line, but this time it spins into me... Inside edge and we ran like mad men... Because of the long boundary, we could have run four but ran three to get the batsman on strike.

Don't remember much about the last ball except that it somehow ended up at the rope on the straight boundary. Cue epic scenes of celebration

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
March 1999

It was just a couple of months since the Chennai test of 1999 and the heartbreak had almost worn off. I was just 10 years old but still remember it well. It was the semi final of our school inter house competition. The match was between Vivek house (for which I played) and Vinay house. Traditionally, these were the two houses who'd eventually end up winning almost every intra school sporting tournament and the rivalry was pretty much India-Pakistan lite... Not joking, there were some crazy incidents every time we played each other.

The team consisted of players anywhere between 10-16 years of age so kids like me usually warmed the benches and never got to actually take the field. That changed in the semi though

Vinay batted first in the 15 over game and got 76. Pretty decent score considering the ground was quite large. We started the chase pretty well and reached 50-4 in 10 overs, 27 needed off the last five but importantly, our best batsman the opener was still out there. Then in the 11th over, while scampering for a single the two batters collided and of course not only did the fielding side run out the in form batsman they jeered them before taking the bails off. Best batsman out, non striker injured, so 50-4 effectively became 50-6 with only one half decent batsman left. The captain then came to me and said he would be subbing me in if another wicket fell. (We were allowed to make one sub while fielding, one while batting)

I sat on the bench wishing my not so great batting wouldn't be needed. The next pair got us to 71 at the start of the final over. The last recognised batsman was off strike. First ball of the last over, a runout led to me needing to walk out. The crowd's noise made me sick to my stomach and I might have peed a bit but my captain pushed me onto the field.
14.2 overs Dot ball, swish across the line, missed
14.3 overs Dot ball, swish across the line, missed
14.4 overs Dot ball, swish across the line, missed

At this point, I'm just torn to pieces and want to be anywhere in the world but there. Forget dropping a catch, THIS is imo the worst feeling in cricket. To be fair to me the bowler was an amazing spinner who no one knew how to play properly
All three had been leg breaks and I only ever played one shot... The Richard Levi hoick through mid wicket. The other batsman came up to me and said "Abe Bh**C*** seedha khel aur strike de mujhe" which roughly translates to "Just play straight and give me the strike you ****" . 6 runs to get 2 balls left

I listened to his advice but for some reason didn't follow it

14.5 overs Swish across the line, but this time it spins into me... Inside edge and we ran like mad men... Because of the long boundary, we could have run four but ran three to get the batsman on strike.

Don't remember much about the last ball except that it somehow ended up at the rope on the straight boundary. Cue epic scenes of celebration
Awesome!! How big was the crowd?

OverratedSanity

Awesome!! How big was the crowd?
The entire school, from Std 1 to 12 so around a thousand... All of them on one side of the ground, so when you went upto bat, the entire crowd was right in front of you, behind the bowler. Quite literally in your face

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I played for that said works team for 2 season. 2004, and 2005. It was an 8 team league. The second divison of the local works championship. We went from being rock bottom of the 2nd to just missing promotion to the first within 2 seasons. A huge improvement. But we put the yards in. Both those summers were good, so we practiced after work a lot; talked about were things had gone wrong; and came up with plans of how we would play. And had a laugh, perhaps most importantly.

The gulf in quality between cans and can'ts in cricket is huge - but at the same time a bit of practice and thought goes a hell of a long way. Even the league umpires were praising the hell out of for how we'd improved between seasons.

We couldn't enter in 2006 because the workforce was cut down and more than half the team were made redundant.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
The entire school, from Std 1 to 12 so around a thousand... All of them on one side of the ground, so when you went upto bat, the entire crowd was right in front of you, behind the bowler. Quite literally in your face
Wow! I've played in front of 100+ (usually on bank holiday weekends), but nothing like that, ever!

OverratedSanity

Wow! I've played in front of 100+ (usually on bank holiday weekends), but nothing like that, ever!
Our school tourneys generally have bugger audiences than most First class games. Thing is, matches used to be played on the ground which was right behind our school building, so people who were in that section of the building with classrooms facing the ground had to just look out the windows. Rest would have to come down to ground level. There were no real stands at all but the atmosphere was incredibly oppressive. I just can't even imagine what it must be like to play in front of thousands of spectators in Mcg, Eden Gardens.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Best I played was a friendly in Devon against the Old Haberdashers in 2006. They got 240 in about 50 overs (this was a time game). I dropped a catch in the last over of their innings. Was down to bat three and the opener got out second ball, we were 0-1. I have rarely felt as confident batting as I did that day. It was a strange feeling. I shut up shop for a while, we lost a few more wickets. At one point we were 40-4 with 25 overs left. Then a guy I knew from a colts team, a Devon U19s player a couple of years younger than me, came in. He hit the first ball for six. I sped up as much as I could and fed him the strike, we got up to 160-4 and I got bowled trying to force the pace.

There's a particular patch of play I remember, a slow bowler on, me on strike, he dropped short and I pulled it to the boundary. Next ball same result. Third was up on off and I pushed it for a single to mid-off. It sticks in my mind because I was IN CONTROL like I'd never been before.

When I got off they told me I'd got 48. Never made a 50 before. anyway the Devon colt got 91, the cpatain got a quick 40 but it came down to the last man - actually a girl, but a Devon player - in the last over. She scrambled a bye and we won.

Was a perfect day - a tight game against a good side who were pleasant to play against on a sunny day with a rock-hard pitch. And it was my best innings up to that point. I made a fifty a couple of weeks later - but this was the best game I ever played even if it was only a friendly.
That's some chase. I always fel;t comfortable chasing with the ball than the bat. I'm a big fan of "runs on the board". So kudos to you!

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Our school tourneys generally have bugger audiences than most First class games. Thing is, matches used to be played on the ground which was right behind our school building, so people who were in that section of the building with classrooms facing the ground had to just look out the windows. Rest would have to come down to ground level. There were no real stands at all but the atmosphere was incredibly oppressive. I just can't even imagine what it must be like to play in front of thousands of spectators in Mcg, Eden Gardens.
You must have been sh!tting yourself. The first time I batted in front of one man and his dog, I was terrified!

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
We were playing the top team in the league and they had annihilated us the first time around. Cut a long story short we kept them to 170 off 45 overs. The most they had conceded all season was 120. Some epic partnerships took place finally going into the last over we need 6 to win with one wicket in hand. Our number 11 smoked a boundary second ball and then proceeded to miss the next two balls. On the fifth ball he hit the ball into his eye and it was generally agreed he should come off the field as he couldn't see the ball anymore. In an act of heroism he said I want to keep going. The bowler knew all he had to do was bowl it at the stumps to win the game, but he bowled it down the leg side and the keeper missed it and we scrambled two byes to win it and pandemonium unfolded.