• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The best ever players of spin bowling?

sambha

Cricket Spectator
...because he scores, on average, 90 runs between dismissals to spinners and scores, on average, 65 runs in every 100 balls of spin he faces, perhaps?
Dhoni's overall strike rate is in mid 80's
but against spinners its just 65...that is shocking....since he usually scores a lot of quick singles and doubles off spinners in ODI

the big bambino

International Captain
Being able to own a quickish leggie doesn't seem to me to be the best way to judge one's ability to play spin bowling.
Many have commented on the exceptional pace of Tiger's so called "quickish" leggy; Morris on cricinfo being the most recent. They also invariably mention that while it was exceptional his killer ball was his wrong 'un which bounced akwardly; Morris on cricinfo being the most recent. However Fingleton, Hammond and a host of others have also attested. That being the case Leyland's credentials are pretty impressive.

the big bambino

International Captain
Two names, Navjot Singh Sidhu and Virender Sehwag, Absolute beasts vs spin. Of others I have seen Kapil Dev, Vinod Kambli, Javed Miandad, Azhar-ud-din, Darren Lehman, Lara, and Arjuna Ranatunga were special against spin. Sachin was very good, but never was as exciting as above because these guys did hit the half a dozen shot off the spinners ignoring the match situation.
Others on your list I'd agree with though I never saw Sidhu at length. I wonder about Lehman though and think his ability against spin is over rated. Can't think of anyone he dominated that others haven't also and yet aren't called masters of spin.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lehmann gave spinners a slow death. He worked them so well, was a pro at using the crease and knocking them around. He may not have smashed them out of the attack as much as others, but he milked them dry, which spin bowlers find infuriating.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni's overall strike rate is in mid 80's
but against spinners its just 65...that is shocking....since he usually scores a lot of quick singles and doubles off spinners in ODI
Test match cricket, not ODIs.

JBMAC

State Captain
Dean Jones,Allan Border,Engineer,Redpath,Cowper,Fletcher,Gower, These are just off the top of my head seen some good ones over 60 years

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Another player I have to mention is Mohamamd Ashraful.
I understand the overal consensus on the guy is that he is crap and I would pretty much agree with that but this bloke has 4 centuries against Muralitharan, on some of the most turning tracks I have ever seen and he played Muralitharan almost effortlessly. I am sure if someone were to go and ask Murali about this, he would acknowledge just how well this guy played him.

Flem274*

123/5
Stephen Fleming tamed Murali several times on his own turf. Warne was the only spinner who ever had his number.

OverratedSanity

Another player I have to mention is Mohamamd Ashraful.
I understand the overal consensus on the guy is that he is crap and I would pretty much agree with that but this bloke has 4 centuries against Muralitharan, on some of the most turning tracks I have ever seen and he played Muralitharan almost effortlessly. I am sure if someone were to go and ask Murali about this, he would acknowledge just how well this guy played him.
Didn't know he has 4 hundreds against Murali... Pretty impressive tbh... Must have done ****all against everyone else to end up with an average like that

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Stephen Fleming tamed Murali several times on his own turf. Warne was the only spinner who ever had his number.
Several times? Don't recall anything other than 270 he made. Most of the time never got to face Murali because he was cleaned up by Vaas with regularity.

Flem274*

123/5
Most of the time never got to face Murali because he was cleaned up by Vaas with regularity.
Yup averaging over 100 in Sri Lanka with a couple of big tons and three fifties really shows that to be the case.

Sri Lanka were his bitch.

Daemon

Sri Lanka are a terrible side and they are currently ranked #7 in the world.

flibbertyjibber

SA not being known for their reputation against spin but Amla looks pretty good and Kallis has a good record too.