• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson's All-Time-Great Ashes Contest

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
gilly is a shoo in for any all time xi. top 10 keeper. top 20 batsman. top 10 cricketer of all time.
Has there been any other cricketer who can be considered top 25 of all time in two major disciplines? No one comes to mind... Greatest all rounder ever? :ph34r:

watson

Banned

Australia's No.1: Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson in style and character minds me of a 1960s version of Steve Waugh. Both were stubborn and tenacious in the extreme, and both rarely played the hook-shot due their risk-free approach to batting;

Simpson's stance is easy and his style attractive, the result of a change of technique in the late 1950's when he turned from playing too square-on to side-on. Simpson found that it made all the difference to him in dealing effectively with the in-dipper and going-away balls as he describes them. More strongly built than most people suppose -- he stands 5' 10½" and weights 13 stone -- Simpson excels most when attacking.
The flashing straight-drive and devastating square-cut shows him at his best and these strokes, as well as the on-drive perfectly taken off his toes, are examples of power and elegance which never fail to evoke admiration. He rarely hooks, having largely discarded the stroke as risky, and does not pull overmuch. As a bowler of guile, he depends more on the leg-break than on other variations.....

Wisden - Bobby Simpson
In some respects they also had parallel careers due their respective slow starts. After 29 Test matches Bob Simpson averaged just 35.93, and had not one century to his name. However, after 7 years of trying he finally broke through during the 4th Test of the 1964 Ashes series with a triple century. From that point onwards Simpson never looked back, and managed to average an excellent 63.53 till his initial retirement in 1968. He retired again in 1978 at age 42 after returning for 16 months to Captain Australia during the World Series Cricket fiasco. An innings of 176 runs against Bedi, Chandrasekhar, and Venkataraghavan in Perth during that brief return underscores his inherent skill against spin bowling. In a similar act of patience and determination Steve Waugh took 27 Tests to score his first century, and then slowly increase his average from 35.44 to over 50.

Admittedly, Bob Simpson was not an easy choice as Australia’s No.1 because it’s difficult to split any of the great opening batsman from the pack due to their similarity in effectiveness. However, by all accounts it is clear that Bob Simpson was one of the most brilliant slips fieldsman of all time. And so this skill tips the scales in his favour over more fashionable openers. I am sure that any Australian bowler would be very pleased to see Simpson standing next to the keeper as he begins his run up, and that has to be a big plus.

Last edited:

Eds

International Debutant
Not sure about Ames being a "minnow basher". Perhaps slightly harsh. Not sure too many batsmen (let alone wicket-keeper bats) would have done particularly well against an attack consisting of O'Reilly, Ironmonger and Grimmett [and McCabe]. However, tbf, he still managed an average of 43 against the aforementioned attack in the '34 Ashes.

Plus, I find it difficult to believe he wasn't an absolutely outstanding wicketkeeper. Holds a fair number of English records; most dismissals in a county season, most stumpings in a season, most career stumpings, one of two wicketkeepers to get 1000 runs and 100 dismissals in a season (he did it three times out of the four total it's been achieved, ever). Feel he's been a bit hard done by here.

watson

Banned
Not sure about Ames being a "minnow basher". Perhaps slightly harsh. Not sure too many batsmen (let alone wicket-keeper bats) would have done particularly well against an attack consisting of O'Reilly, Ironmonger and Grimmett [and McCabe]. However, tbf, he still managed an average of 43 against the aforementioned attack in the '34 Ashes.

Plus, I find it difficult to believe he wasn't an absolutely outstanding wicketkeeper. Holds a fair number of English records; most dismissals in a county season, most stumpings in a season, most career stumpings, one of two wicketkeepers to get 1000 runs and 100 dismissals in a season (he did it three times out of the four total it's been achieved, ever). Feel he's been a bit hard done by here.
During my piece on Alan Knott I wrote;

Les Ames is considered by many to be England’s best wicketkeeper-batsman as he was possibly comparable with the gloves, but superior with the bat. However, this assumption does not stand up to close scrutiny.
I don't think that Ames is that far short of Knott when it comes to the skill of wicket-keeping ('possibly comparable'). However, I do think that the batsmanship of Ames has been overstated on the whole. It's not that he's a bad batsman, it's just that Knott is obviously, and significantly better IMO. In other words, it was the Ames' batting that I was questioning, not his keeping.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
I love Bob Simpson making it to the opening slot. Fantastic batsman. Even better fielder. Useful bowler. Great guy to have in your team overall. But this also means two of Morris, Trumper and Hayden would be left out for sure, and that is sad.

(Gilly) Top 20 batsman of all time? Really?
In my books yes. In yours top 30, may be. But on average he is likely to be very very close to that no. 20 if you compile every true cricket fan's list of favorite batters.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I love Bob Simpson making it to the opening slot. Fantastic batsman. Even better fielder. Useful bowler. Great guy to have in your team overall. But this also means two of Morris, Trumper and Hayden would be left out for sure, and that is sad.
If I know how Watson thinks, it is short odds that all three will be left out for William M Lawry with the major factor being his terrific opening partnership with Simpson.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I'd be surprised if he was anywhere near that, looking at him solely as a batsman.

I think it could be conceivably argued that he'd not make top 10 against his peers, so top 20 of all time seems to overstate him considerably.

watson

Banned

England's No.1: Jack Hobbs

There’s a lot that could be said about Jack Hobbs because so much has been written by so many authors, but I only want to make three points.

The most important point was highlighted by his opening partners Herbert Sutcliffe and Andrew Sandham– that on ‘bad’ wickets Jack Hobbs is probably the best batsman of all time;

Herbert Sutcliffe: I was his partner on many occasions on extremely bad wickets, and I can say this without any doubt whatever that he was the most brilliant exponent of all time, and quite the best batsman of my generation on all types of wickets. On good wickets I do believe that pride of place should be given to Sir Don Bradman.

Andrew Sandham: Jack was the finest batsman in my experience on all sorts of wickets, especially the bad ones, for in our day there were more bad wickets and more spin bowlers than there are to-day. He soon knocked the shine off the ball and he was so great that he really collared the bowling. He could knock up fifty in no time at all and the bowlers would often turn to me as if to say Did you see that? He was brilliant. Despite all the fuss and adulation made of him he was surprisingly modest and had a great sense of humour.

Sir Jack Hobbs | England Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo
The second point is the consistency of Jack Hobbs. Consider his Test batting record (average) on a series by series basis;

1907-08 V AUS: 43.14
1909 V AUS: 26.40
1909-10 V SA: 67.38
1911-12 V AUS: 82.75
1912 V SA: 40.75
1913-14 V SA: 63.29
1921-21 V AUS: 50.50
1924 V SA: 71.00
1926 V AUS: 81.00
1928 V WI: 106.00
1928-29 V AUS: 50.11
1929 V SA: 31.00
1930 V AUS: 33.44

From those numbers we can see that it took Hobbs about 2 years to settle into Test cricket, and that his 2 final series played after his 46th birthday were unremarkable by his standard. This means that over the course of 20 years he failed to average 50 in a series only once!

The last point is his skill against fast bowling. Unfortunately this is often overlooked because Hobbs tended to bat in era of spin and swerve bowlers due to uncovered wickets. However, his sequence of scores from the 1920/21 Ashes series would indicate that he was able to score good runs against fast bowling even when his colleagues couldn’t;

Jack Gregory, Kelleway, and Ted McDonald were of course the pace-bowling stars of that series, although they were significantly aided by the leg-spin of Arthur Mailey who took 36 wickets every 41 balls. Thanks largely to these four gentlemen the England team were hammered in each of the five Test matches. Obviously it is difficult to know the exact speed of a bowler like Jack Gregory, but we can still get a reasonable idea of his pace from available black and white footage. (I recommend the ABC video, ‘The Cricket Archives. Australian Cricket Films 1905-1961’). Judging by his action, and the distance of the wicket-keeper and slips from the striker, I reckon that a bowling speed of 150 kph wouldn’t be too far off the mark. Although, as I said, we can only really guess as to how quick bowlers from the 1920s really were.

In short, Jack Hobbs was absolutely brilliant on ‘bad’ wickets, absolutely brilliant against slow bowling, remarkably consistent, and in all probability damned good against genuinely fast bowling. I don’t think that you can ask any more of an opening batsman?

bagapath

International Captain
I think it could be conceivably argued that he'd not make top 10 against his peers, so top 20 of all time seems to overstate him considerably.
without derailing this thread i would love to hear your list of 10 batsmen between 1999 and 2008 who were better than gilly.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
In no particular order I would rate all of these ahead of him.

Dravid
Flower
Hayden
Inzamam
Kallis
Lara
Laxman
Ponting
Sangakkara
Tendulkar
Waugh
Yousuf

watson

Banned
Incidently, the Adam Gilchrist playing in this Ashes team will be the Gilchrist circa 2003. By then he had played nearly 50 Tests, was averaging about 60 odd, had toured England very successfully, and had perfected his keeping technique with McGrath and Warne. Yep, the Gilchrist of 2003 will fit very nicely into this side.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilchrist does have a decent claim to be the best all rounder ever. Great batsman, great keeper. He wan't top ten in either though and Sober and Kallis brought three assets to the table and were ATG at two of them.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Wicketkeepers are not allrounders. We need to dump this idea fast.
Not true at all. Of course they can be. Every team needs a wicketkeeper. If they're an excellent batsman as well, they're an all rounder.

No different to every team needing bowlers and if they can bat as well they're all rounders.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Every team needs fielders to take catches too. It doesn't mean we call them allrounders.

Just my opinion. You're an allrounder if you bat and bowl.