• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

hat-tricks

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
How often hat-trick happens?
Please tell me the probability of hat-tricks in Tests, 50-over games, 20-over games, or other.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oddly enough, hattricks are most commonplace during World Cups, and this was true prior to the introduction of a truckload of associate nations as well. However, the probability function of hattricks occurring has three variables:

i) The skill of the bowler in question (skills which matter most are inswinging yorkers, fast outswingers, off spin, deceptive bouncers, and what not)
ii) The quality of the batting tail (this is where the hattrick usually takes place)
iii) Attacking field placement, especially slips and short legs etc.
iv) Also, an unknown parameter (error parameter) is there to account for unforeseen, random reasons, which accounts for about 89.25% of the probability.

Hope I was of some help.

smash84

The Tiger King
it should be simple.........

just calculate the actual number of hattricks and divide it by the possible number of hattricks that could have happened in all the 150 years or so of cricket.

harsh.ag

it should be simple.........

just calculate the actual number of hattricks and divide it by the possible number of hattricks that could have happened in all the 150 years or so of cricket.
Using this for ODIs, the probability of a hattrick occurring in the next 3 balls (any next three balls) is approx. 0.000026 or 0.0026%

smash84

The Tiger King
Using this for ODIs, the probability of a hattrick occurring in the next 3 balls (any next three balls) is approx. 0.000026 or 0.0026%
Did you use the denominator as the total number of wickets available in all the ODI matches (i.e. 20 per match) divided by 3? That IMO would be the possible number of hattricks available

smash84

The Tiger King
Or did you use the probability of getting a wicket on any given delivery and cubed it?

8ankitj to come up with a good answer

harsh.ag

Okay. The 0.000026 number is mistaken. Given that in one ODI, 6.67 hat-tricks are possible (given that hat-trick deliveries can be carried on to the next match), and that there have been 3355 ODIs to date, the total number of possible hat-tricks would be 22377.85. The actual number of ODI hat-tricks have been 33. Hence, for now, the probability of a hat-trick occurring in the next ODI game (an average of, say, 96 overs per match since the early matches were of 60 overs per side) is 0.00147 or 0.147% - 33/22377.85. I don't think I can obtain a per over or per next-3-ball probability because of the restricted number of hat-tricks possible in one game.

harsh.ag

Why is the average number of overs in an ODI less than 100 if early matches were 60 overs?
Well, many ODIs result in far fewer overs than full, esp. if you include rain-affected matches. Anyways, the number of overs per match does not affect the above number of 0.14% in any way as it is a per ODI number.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
How often hat-trick happens?
Please tell me the probability of hat-tricks in Tests, 50-over games, 20-over games, or other.
I took two hat tricks one season. That was when I was 10 kilos lighter and could bowl better.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Thinking about hattricks, was Irfan Pathan's first over hattrick the oddest of the bunch? Took out three in form batsmen in the first over of the Test match, yet his team still managed to lose by 300-odd runs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Is there any record of 6 outs in 1-over (or 8 outs if 1-over 8-balls game)?
No. I have heard of it in school boy cricket in my home town. But not in professional cricket.

(1). Shaun Pollock took 4 wickets in his first apperance for Warwickshire against Leichestershire in 1996. (2). Chaminda Vaas in the 2003 World Cup against Bangladesh took 4 wickets in the first over. (3). Lasith Malinga took 4 wickets in 4 consecutive balls, but in two overs; last 2 balls of one over and first two balls of the next over. (4). Andrew Caddick in 2000, 4th Test against the West Indies, at Headingley, took 4 Wickets in a over. (5). Lasith malinga vs South Africa, 4 wickets on 4 consecutive Balls. (6). In 2010 World T20 Cricket Championship, Mohammed Aamer of Pakistan bowled the 20th and final over against Australia and reaped 5 wickets. However, 2 of the 5 wicket were not accredited to Aamer, as they were run outs. (7). Ken Cumming, Australian bowler in First Grade cricket in March 1944 took 5 wickets in consecutive balls. (8). South African born bowler Neil Wagner took 5 wickets in an over in a First Class match in New Zealand against Wellington on 6th April 2011.(9) Ansh bowled the over in 2011 in which he picked up 5 wickets

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
They always do

And I'm sure you're happy to see Smali ****ing laughing again eh Daemon?

Last edited: