• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever sub 100 innings

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure if this has been discussed....

Best I've seen are probably Dravid's twin fifties at Sabina on a crazy pitch and Ponting's 70 odd at Headingley in 2009 . Came in with the crowd putting on a disgracefully disrespectful display of booing, at a time when Australia needed to size the initiative, and that's exactly what he did... Virtually finished the game in an hour of brilliant attacking batting

Of ones I haven't seen, Gavaskar's famous last innings stands out. Any others?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On a serious note, DoG's list of great innings suggests that Viswanath's 97* against the West Indies is the greatest sub-100 innings. Chris Cairns's 1999 innings of 90 against England also rates highly, as does the innings that immediately came to my mind when I saw the thread - Laxman's 73* against Australia in 2010.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Flintoff's 68 at Birmingham in 05 (with the shoulder injury and cloesly followed by his rampaging over with the ball)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The two that came to mind first for me, not necessarily the best but the ones that popped into my head, have both been mentioned. Ponting at Headingley 09 (reckon its the best I've watched live full stop tbh) and Freddie at Edgbaston 05.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Flintoff's is my personal favourite. It was right there and then I thought "this f*cker is actually going to make a real impact on this series, even if it's using willpower alone".

I also fondly remember Warne congratulating him after bowling him. That day I started drinking 12 cans of Fosters at 11:30 and finished them just in time for close of play.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I drank a lot that day but never saw a single ball live. Was at the footy, remember getting constant updates on the way down and then cheering each wicket on TMS on the way back, lifting the gloom from the whites' miserable performance. Then I snapped a fork in half eating my dinner as I settled down to the highlights in an absolute drunken mess. Just remember the astonishment at Freddie's batting, one armed at first. Incredible. WAFG.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I drank a lot that day but never saw a single ball live. Was at the footy, remember getting constant updates on the way down
I bet those updates weren't even nearly as good as my awesome BBM coverage of India's tour of England.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, that was superb. Skipping down Gadbrook Road as Cribb outperforms cricinfo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Day five of the first test. Had the game on in work but then had to leave to get the train. Cribb came to my rescue.