• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever sub 100 innings

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I've always held Inzi's 92* (Port Elizabeth, '09) in very high regard. I believe every single one of his runs came while batting with a horrible tail (Sami, Akhter, Asif, Kaneria).

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Hadlee's 99 in 81 balls out of 307 against England in 1984 on a minefield. England then failed to reach 100 in either knock and NZ won by an innings and plenty. He got match figures of 8 for 44. Not a bad effort

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Flintoff at Edgbaston is definitely a good call, as are Laxman's two specials in 2010... Can't believe I forgot those. I still can't separate those two innings... The Durham one was undoubtedly made on more difficult conditions for batting, but the 73 at Mohali was a masterclass of calm, cool, counterrattacking batting. Didn't look like he was in a big hurry but still scored at a run a ball. And him screaming at Ojha like a girl getting it up the arse was the icing on the cake :laugh:

Ah yes... That 76 was a genius innings. Even Darryl Tuffey looked like Steyn at his best in that series... Crazy conditions and Dravid was just phenomenal... It was worth a double hundred really. Remember Sachin getting an excellent 50 in the same match I think, even though he was bowled off a Bond no ball once, he counterrattacked superbly
That was when Richardson batted for hours and scored 89 to set up victory for us. A fantastic knock on that pitch.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was that the 83 he scored? When we thought we were gonna seal it up?

I remember him uppercutting a 6 and thinking "oh ****, we're going to get beat here"
Yup. The one shot that sticks out in my memory from that innings was when he got some room outside off and instead of cutting /driving through the off side or going over the slips, he smashed the ball into the ground and it bounced over the cordon. :laugh:
And in typical SehWAG fashion, he said" I always bat like that" on the press conference

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
From the ones that I've had the privilege of watching live, Laxman's 96 and 73 stand out. AB de Viliers' 33 from the Adelaide test match last year is probably the best sub-50 innings ever played. Steve Waugh's last test innings that saved Australia from what could have been a series defeat at home, Ponting at Headingley'09, KP's debut test innings rate as some of my other favorites.

I'm glad someone mentioned Cork's 33 at Lords' against the West Indies. That little cameo literally set up England's win in the series and led to what many call as the official death of West Indies cricket.

One could only imagine how bloody good and brutal IVA Richards' 61 off 35 in a second-innings chase from this match (1st Test: West Indies v India at Kingston, Feb 23-28, 1983 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo) would have been. He himself rates this knock as one of the best ones of his.

Top_Cat

Waugh's 63* in the West Indies.

All 3 completed innings had scores around 100, which shows you how bad the pitch was.
Probably the best greentop innings ever...was this the same innings where he told Ambrose to go **** himself? :laugh:
So much better than the 200 imo
Just checked Cricinfo ... The 63 was in the 3rd test where he had the confrontation with Ambrose, he scored the 200 in the next test which won the series. Wisden's description of the pitch in the third test gives a fair idea how difficult it must have been to bat :
The Australians had a suspicion of trouble when they went looking for the pitch and could barely pick it out from the rest of the gumleaf-green square. It was covered by grass nearly an inch long, suspiciously damp and given only a token shave.

I don't know if it was exaggeration, but inch long grass is crazy
Boon batting on said pitch - YouTube

Ridiculous movement. 3rd one jagged so far.

Top_Cat

If we're talking ODI's, Bev's 70-odd on NYD in '96 must surely be up there.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
A nice clip, that one of Boon and Walsh. I always though Boon was a more stylish batsman than perhaps some gave him credit for.

Stapel

International Regular
Ashley Giles' 8* at Trent Bridge in 05.
When the Ashes were at stake!

Yet, Giles kept his best Test innings ever for the Test after it. At none other moment than the Ashes being at stake once more. When Giles got in at the Oval, England were 199/7. I really had the feeling that Shane Warne, arguably in the form of his life, would spin through the tail, to give a returned-to-form Matt Hayden a proper chance to blast towards a target of 200-odd.
The whole series had written over it, there would be one (or two) more series-changing performances!

Rather than being bowled by The Great Shane Warne, Giles put up a 100 partnership with KP, contributing a third of the runs. And went on to making his Test high score of 59 (and only his 4th Test 50).

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
When the Ashes were at stake!

Yet, Giles kept his best Test innings ever for the Test after it. At none other moment than the Ashes being at stake once more. When Giles got in at the Oval, England were 199/7. I really had the feeling that Shane Warne, arguably in the form of his life, would spin through the tail, to give a returned-to-form Matt Hayden a proper chance to blast towards a target of 200-odd.
The whole series had written over it, there would be one (or two) more series-changing performances!

Rather than being bowled by The Great Shane Warne, Giles put up a 100 partnership with KP, contributing a third of the runs. And went on to making his Test high score of 59 (and only his 4th Test 50).
Yeah I noted Giles' 59 at the Oval above, I think.

It was a fantastic effort. I remember the peak of it being a baseball-style shot he played off (I think) McGrath towards the back end of the innings. Giles wasn't the greatest cricketer, but he really did have some character about him - he should have retired after that test.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Yup. The one shot that sticks out in my memory from that innings was when he got some room outside off and instead of cutting /driving through the off side or going over the slips, he smashed the ball into the ground and it bounced over the cordon. :laugh:
And in typical SehWAG fashion, he said" I always bat like that" on the press conference
I love Sehwag. The way he plays is just ridiculous. So unapologetic!

Typical him - SRT scoring a 200* in a ODI to huge world applause, 2 years later Sehwag batters 219 just for good measure. It kind of sums up a beautiful lack of respect he has for pretty much everything.

If Sachin is the georgous girl from the highly respected family you can't wait to introduce to your parents and marry, Sehwag is the potty-mouthed stunner from the wrong side of the tracks that your Dad looks at in amazed awe when you bring her home.With a look on his face of both envy, and "what the hell have you been doing?".

Burgey

My 85* in 11/1s in 79-80 worth a shout here. Twenty fours and five singles.