• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are you (like James Ormond) the best cricketer in your family?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I am now seeing as my dad is a pensioner, brother a cripple and my son is under 10. For how long it lasts I don't know.

My dad was far better than me when he was mobile though.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My Dad was a good enough cricketer to get an invite to play in the Minor Counties Championship in the early 50s (which sadly he couldn’t accept as his miserable employers wouldn’t give him the time off) so quite how he managed to have two sons as talentless as my brother and I is a complete mystery, and in fact were it not for certain facial characteristics that can only have been acquired from him we’d be questioning our mother’s fidelity.

For years I consoled myself with the thought that the talent would just have skipped a generation, and its possible that it may have, but sadly neither of my lads have ever shown the slightest interest, and as they’re now adults themselves I don’t suppose I’ll ever know – I blame their step father, ‘cos it couldn’t be my fault, obviously

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
My Dad was a good enough cricketer to get an invite to play in the Minor Counties Championship in the early 50s (which sadly he couldn’t accept as his miserable employers wouldn’t give him the time off) so quite how he managed to have two sons as talentless as my brother and I is a complete mystery, and in fact were it not for certain facial characteristics that can only have been acquired from him we’d be questioning our mother’s fidelity.

For years I consoled myself with the thought that the talent would just have skipped a generation, and its possible that it may have, but sadly neither of my lads have ever shown the slightest interest, and as they’re now adults themselves I don’t suppose I’ll ever know – I blame their step father, ‘cos it couldn’t be my fault, obviously

The reason my Uncle didn't turn professional from being in the County team at Schoolboy level was that, quite simply, he couldn't afford to.

He married very young, so it was either get a (real) job and live indoors, or chance cricket and possibly end up broke. A bummer really, because he also played football for Huddersfield as a schoolboy, and dropped out of that for similar reasons.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably not. My uncles all played cricket and were pretty decent. They played back in the 50's/60s and 70s mainly, and the local competition was a lot stronger then than it is now.