Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Are you (like James Ormond) the best cricketer in your family?

Clearly the best batsman, and the best all rounder, but the best bowler was probably my uncle...

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    Nope.

In fact I am probably the worst. My uncle played for Essex IIs and England U19s, holds numerous Essex League records and is probably the greatest player in his club's history. My granddad took more wickets for the same club than anyone else, including playing into his 70s. My great-granddad was a very fine Essex League bowler. My young cousin has scored a hundred for his school, which is something I have never done. Then you have all the extended family, most of whom were Essex Prem players. Then you have me.
    Which club?

Anyway, definitely not. My dad was better than me and his brother was even better again.

EDIT: I'm a darn sight better than my brother though who bowls like a windmill.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

jan
    Being the only cricketer in my family Im surely the best one
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!
    left-handed batsman & grainy low-res streams watcher, aiming to establish myself as cricketer in the 7th grade :)

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by jan View Post
    Being the only cricketer in my family Im surely the best one
    You are also comfortably the worst though.

Half-empty-glass-008.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    Which club?

Anyway, definitely not. My dad was better than me and his brother was even better again.

EDIT: I'm a darn sight better than my brother though who bowls like a windmill.
    Ah, I thought you might ask. Hutton.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    I am now seeing as my dad is a pensioner, brother a cripple and my son is under 10. For how long it lasts I don't know.

My dad was far better than me when he was mobile though.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    My Dad was a good enough cricketer to get an invite to play in the Minor Counties Championship in the early 50s (which sadly he couldn’t accept as his miserable employers wouldn’t give him the time off) so quite how he managed to have two sons as talentless as my brother and I is a complete mystery, and in fact were it not for certain facial characteristics that can only have been acquired from him we’d be questioning our mother’s fidelity.

For years I consoled myself with the thought that the talent would just have skipped a generation, and its possible that it may have, but sadly neither of my lads have ever shown the slightest interest, and as they’re now adults themselves I don’t suppose I’ll ever know – I blame their step father, ‘cos it couldn’t be my fault, obviously

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    My Dad was a good enough cricketer to get an invite to play in the Minor Counties Championship in the early 50s (which sadly he couldn’t accept as his miserable employers wouldn’t give him the time off) so quite how he managed to have two sons as talentless as my brother and I is a complete mystery, and in fact were it not for certain facial characteristics that can only have been acquired from him we’d be questioning our mother’s fidelity.

For years I consoled myself with the thought that the talent would just have skipped a generation, and its possible that it may have, but sadly neither of my lads have ever shown the slightest interest, and as they’re now adults themselves I don’t suppose I’ll ever know – I blame their step father, ‘cos it couldn’t be my fault, obviously

The reason my Uncle didn't turn professional from being in the County team at Schoolboy level was that, quite simply, he couldn't afford to.

He married very young, so it was either get a (real) job and live indoors, or chance cricket and possibly end up broke. A bummer really, because he also played football for Huddersfield as a schoolboy, and dropped out of that for similar reasons.
    World XI Since 1990 -

1. Gooch 2. Dravid 3. Ponting 4. Tendulkar 5. Lara 6. Kallis 7. Gilchrist 8. Akram 9. Warne 10. Ambrose 11. McGrath

International Vice-Captain BeeGee's Avatar
    No. My father went much further in the game than I did.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb View Post
    Ah, I thought you might ask. Hutton.
    Ha. Just down the road from me then. Walking distance, really. Mind you, I used to play out in the rural areas - mainly out in Blackmore before I moved away from the area.

Cousin played for Natal

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Probably not. My uncles all played cricket and were pretty decent. They played back in the 50's/60s and 70s mainly, and the local competition was a lot stronger then than it is now.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information