• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australian Domestic Season 2013/14

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I can't get over how bad the new format is. Cricket Australia must have sat down and said "how can we make Australia as bad at cricket as possible?".

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't get over how bad the new format is. Cricket Australia must have sat down and said "how can we make Australia as bad at cricket as possible?".
Aside from the pitches at Bankstown, I don't have a huge problem with the format as at least there is plenty of good standard cricket before the tests start and it is being shown on free-to-air so kids can get to watch it again

Having watched most of the matches in the Ryobi Cup, the problem with Oz cricket is that our young batsmen have **** techniques, the older ones aren't good enough to compensate for them and our fast bowlers need to drink a gallon of cement and harden the **** up - none of that has anything to do with the scheduling of the Ryobi Cup

Furthermore, CA cant be criticized for exposing young players as in the last 6 months there have been A tours to the UK, Zimbabwe and SA plus development programs in SL and India - I would like to know another country that is doing more for their young players!

TheJediBrah

Aside from the pitches at Bankstown, I don't have a huge problem with the format as at least there is plenty of good standard cricket before the tests start and it is being shown on free-to-air so kids can get to watch it again

Having watched most of the matches in the Ryobi Cup, the problem with Oz cricket is that our young batsmen have **** techniques, the older ones aren't good enough to compensate for them and our fast bowlers need to drink a gallon of cement and harden the **** up - none of that has anything to do with the scheduling of the Ryobi Cup

Furthermore, CA cant be criticized for exposing young players as in the last 6 months there have been A tours to the UK, Zimbabwe and SA plus development programs in SL and India - I would like to know another country that is doing more for their young players!
That's the only mitigating factor for me.

But do you really think this is a good way to prepare our players for the 2015 world cup which will most likely be played on flat tracks at Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, Hobart, MCG and SCG? By playing all domestic One Day games on slow, low Bankstown oval? We need to at least be playing on a variety of pitches. I can't help but think this is just making us a worse international team.

I wouldn't even mind the tournament format, despite it's shortcomings, if it were set all around Australia.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
That's the only mitigating factor for me.

But do you really think this is a good way to prepare our players for the 2015 world cup which will most likely be played on flat tracks at Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, Hobart, MCG and SCG? By playing all domestic One Day games on slow, low Bankstown oval? We need to at least be playing on a variety of pitches. I can't help but think this is just making us a worse international team.

I wouldn't even mind the tournament format, despite it's shortcomings, if it were set all around Australia.
You have to assume that it is being played in Sydney in order to minimize the costs for Channel 9

If it has to happen at this time of the year, I'd prefer to see it being played in Cairns and Darwin but the players would probably complain about the pitches being too green

Anyway, one thing that pisses me off is some of the players complaining about the workload

Where were the complaints about scheduling the CL20 at the beginning of the Oz season or does the fact that they stood to earn a shed load of cash from that joke of a tourney serve as sufficient compensation

Furthermore, when I was playing, any state or test bowler that turned out for his club was expected to bowl 25-30 overs per day for his team and was generally happy to do so

What's more, state practice was scheduled on different days to grade nets so that the top guys were bowling up to 4 times per week in addition to matches

Nowadays, they don't even have to play for their club and are complaining about bowling 10 overs max every 5 days or so - total bs excuse

TheJediBrah

You have to assume that it is being played in Sydney in order to minimize the costs for Channel 9

If it has to happen at this time of the year, I'd prefer to see it being played in Cairns and Darwin but the players would probably complain about the pitches being too green

Anyway, one thing that pisses me off is some of the players complaining about the workload

Where were the complaints about scheduling the CL20 at the beginning of the Oz season or does the fact that they stood to earn a shed load of cash from that joke of a tourney serve as sufficient compensation

Furthermore, when I was playing, any state or test bowler that turned out for his club was expected to bowl 25-30 overs per day for his team and was generally happy to do so

What's more, state practice was scheduled on different days to grade nets so that the top guys were bowling up to 4 times per week in addition to matches

Nowadays, they don't even have to play for their club and are complaining about bowling 10 overs max every 5 days or so - total bs excuse
I think what David Warner did was a disgrace. Grade cricket in Melbourne is a decent standard and I would lose all respect for a state player that would rather have a net than play for their team. It's the height of arrogance and David Warner is no Ricky Ponting. I was a huge fan of his at first, but I'm getting more and more sick of his crap. He's a complete dumbass, and it's sickening.

How does CA rationalise the Big Bash being so long? each team playing one 20 over game every 5-7 days? That is a joke, they could play everyday if they wanted. And yet they have 6 shield games in 6 weeks. I think it's a disgrace. It's not like we are in a massive monetary crisis and need everything we can get, we're doing ok. And surely in the long term the best way to ensure lasting profits is to make the Aus team as good as possible to get fans interested? In which case this is doing the opposite.

TheJediBrah

It is when the whole tournament is so short. And there are weekend games as well. But they should have 2 televised games every weekend you'd think. Don't know why they don't??

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Maybe the grounds are used for grade cricket? if so, poor stuff from CA. Should be 2 matches on weekend, or at least one. This weekend there is one, i think. Also, there are days when 2 matches are being played simultaneously mid week.

Riggins

International Captain
They're all day games. The day nighters last season like on a wednesday arvo were perfect time for starting watching at like 230 and finishing by about 9. They're the ones kids can watch.

Riggins

International Captain
Day games on weekends, particularly Saturday, are the worst of the lot. The people who would be interested in watching will be the ones who are out all day actually playing.

TheJediBrah

It would be better if they were day/night games that you could watch after school/work. But that's another downside of playing on grade grounds I guess. Poorly thought out and the rationalisation for the decisions even more poorly thought out. If the reasons they've stated are the best they can come up with they'd might as well just come out and say "we don't care about the National team or long-term growth of Australian cricket we just want as much money from the Big Bash as possible".

Day games on weekends, particularly Saturday, are the worst of the lot. The people who would be interested in watching will be the ones who are out all day actually playing.
lol I didn't even think of that

Last edited: