• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australian Domestic Season 2013/14

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
you gonna leave the ground during the innings break??
Nah I didn't. Had the steak sandwich then and the break didn't feel long at all. I was tempted to go a Pork Roll up the street though..

Describe Cosgrove's torso.

Are the beers XXXX Gold? They seem to be advertising at the venue.

Did you have coleslaw on the sandwich?

Cosy's torso would be best described as 'rotund';. No coleslaw offered, just onion and bbq sauce.

Beers were not XXXX gold, Don't think it was offered despite the signage. I had a carlton draught and a couple of crownies. They had VB and Pure Blonde at the canteen.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah especially when they tend to chuck the young blokes in the odd's before they get a shield game too. and there's no proper second xi comp either.
Yeah I do think this is good criticism. (although, the young blokes are getting thrown into the BBL aren't they)

benchmark00

Yeah I do think this is good criticism. (although, the young blokes are getting thrown into the BBL aren't they)
Yeah and we all know the best way to see if a young bloke can play cricket is through blooding them in t20's at #6...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bailey is saying why not give the players the best chance? Young blokes who aren't in the selectors minds at the start of the season who have a good start to the grade season aren't going to get a go in ODD because they're already over by the end of round two or three in grade.
Don't think that's what he's saying at all given he kept referencing the January ODIs. Young blokes who aren't in the state selectors minds at the start of the season aren't really in the frame for those, and I personally see less opportunity for random meteoric rises owing to short-term form and selector impetuousness as a good thing.

There are certainly some aspects of truth to a few of the things Bailey is saying; it's far from a perfect system. I think I like it though, overall. As Maximas was saying, in terms of international preparation, you don't alternate between four-day and one-day cricket every game; you go on tour to one place, play a stack of one format and then play a stack of another. I think that's an under-rated aspect to it all even if it's achieved completely by accident. An interesting twist would be if they actually started the international summer with some ODIs after the Ryobi Cup and then pushed the Tests back. I've only just thought of this now though and there's probably an obvious reason why it wouldn't work.

Riggins

International Captain
Yeah I guess they get a go, but with each team having the established stars and international players at the important spots, you can't really tell. I concur with 00.

Spikey

There are certainly some aspects of truth to a few of the things Bailey is saying; it's far from a perfect system. I think I like it though, overall.
This is basically my view. It's not perfect and without flaw. But I simply don't agree with all of what Bailey is saying

Australia Cricket News: George Bailey wants shorter Big Bash League, restored Ryobi | ESPN Cricinfo

adds more quotes and really to me one of the biggest things he's saying is that he wants the PA to be given more input

Last edited:

benchmark00

It's absolutely crazy that people can say this is going to be beneficial for the development of cricket in this country. It just won't be. Simple as that.

But that's not why this decision has been made. It's been made in order to make it more attractive from a broadcasters point of view and to help promote the game.

But to try and say that it's actually good for the development of cricket? Lol. Just say you love it as a spectator as I do.

Spikey

It's absolutely crazy that people can say this is going to be beneficial for the development of cricket in this country. It just won't be. Simple as that.

But that's not why this decision has been made. It's been made in order to make it more attractive from a broadcasters point of view and to help promote the game.

But to try and say that it's actually good for the development of cricket? Lol. Just say you love it as a spectator as I do.
is anyone really arguing that view though? I'm not. I'm mainly just saying I don't think it has any great impact on ODI selection.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I was just digging for a positive cirkcet-wise, worth remembering the WC is approaching too, it's not all bad is my view

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well I've heard the argument that it's good because it replicates ODI tours...
That's one of the benefits of it; doesn't necessarily mean it trumps the cons. I think overall it probably comes down as a negative for development just because there are now less games. If they still managed to get the ten games in I'd be saying it was neither good nor bad. I don't really think it's a big deal on the selection front though; I'm with Spikey.

uvelocity

International Coach

i love you as a spectator

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I can see where Bailey is coming from but that isn't the main talking point of the article. Crowd of 819, I think they must have counted the players, officials, media, groundsman, canteen operators, etc;. Steak sandwiches got a mention too, yessss.

BTW, why didn't Silk play?

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
future australia player Jonathan Wells rightly played instead
Wells must be about 16 years old by now, so he is in with a chance I guess..

Weird selection though huh, even Cosgrove ahead of Silk surprised me.

benchmark00

Wells must be about 16 years old by now, so he is in with a chance I guess..

Weird selection though huh, even Cosgrove ahead of Silk surprised me.
Yeah if they were serious they would've played Silk ahead of Cowan.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah if they were serious they would've played Silk ahead of Cowan.
Cowan is such a **** for running out Doolan and then beating his score by 1 run. I had money on Doolan being Tassie's highest scorer today. I also bet on NSW to win, so all good in the end.

Imagine what Queensland is going to make on this pitch btw. Luckily they will be up against WA.

Last edited: