• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australian Domestic Season 2013/14

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ran that off the India ODIs, tbh. Given the discussion is about batting and wicketkeeping I wasn't all that concerned by which placeholder bowlers I selected.

Starc walks into that side, yeah.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
With your 'bat them at 8' suggestion, does NUFAN's boi Ludeman qualify as enough of a hack with the bat to find a way to improvise?
Oh he's definitely a hack; he's just an entirely unsuccessful hack. I think Hartley, Paine, Nev etc would make better #8s than him anyway, as long as the opposition actually knew how to bowl in the batsman's half.

I think the best fit for the spot if I was going to really follow through on my thoughts on it would be Tim Paine. Pre-injury he was actually quite a good OD player - better with the gloves than Haddin is now and actually had success batting through the innings (ironically) as a top order playing, having an average in the mid 30s (which has dropped a bit now) and five tons (one of which was in an ODI). As I said before he's not really suited to the finisher's role as he's a correct player and not a big hitter, although he definitely did develop some ramps and glides as a T20 cricketer. What's really holding me back from putting my balls on the line and advocating one of CricketWeb's most mocked players for the job is that I haven't really seen him play much since that bad injury - he hasn't scored any runs since then and he may not be keeping as well either. If he's not a better keeper than Haddin then it makes it all entirely pointless. Don't want to derail the thread too much from the all-important discussion of NSW's Sheffield Shield campaign, but I think I'd be working towards an ODI side looking like this if Paine could give me what I wanted (ie. improvisation with the bat and tidy keeping) though:

1. Watson
2. Hughes
3. Clarke
4. Bailey
5. Smith
6. Maxwell/Voges
7. Faulkner
8. Paine
9. Starc
10. McKay/Johnson
11. Spinner/Johnson

Happy enough to take Haddin through to the World Cup as long as he keeps decently though. I really do think his time of being worth much with the bat in ODI cricket is over but he's still the most suited to being a finisher if he can ensure his glovework doesn't slip.

adub

International Captain
Back to the important issues?

Does Haddin hate keeping to spinners or what? Copes is going nicely on the ABF road with 3/37 at a bit over 3.5rpo, but all the other trundlers are going 4 rpo plus. He's bowled 5 overs of SOK who was his usual tidy but nothing at all from Lyon.

From this distance it looks like we'd we in a better place with more overs of spin. It's too late to try and play Lyon out of the test team now Hadds. Give him and SOK some more overs ****.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Copeland just has Hopes stone dead in front and it's not given. The umpires are literally the only thing saving NUFAN

benchmark00

@ adub-step

Maybe it's a wind issue. Copes bowling into it so hesitant to give the spinner the breeze in his back.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
uh on nufan is in for another taste as Copeland takes his third
All we need now is a Hughes century.

The funny thing is during my golden summer run I wasn't winning on the punt, but now that I'm supposed to be tasting, I'm winning. How bout those Knicks today!

I'm a little surprised that Hartley is back behind Hopes again. Oh and bad luck Big Show, Scott Boland providing some nuisance value.

benchmark00

How deep will Horse Face be if he makes bulk runs this innings? Bearing in mind there is a 1.8x value on runs vs NSW.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How deep will Horse Face be if he makes bulk runs this innings? Bearing in mind there is a 1.8x value on runs vs NSW.
I've always rated him but I think he's further away than you think. Last season he didn't play a single game, the season before he averaged less than 20 in 14 innings and got dropped, and the season before that he actually scored a bucketload of runs but was then surprisingly ignored for any winter cricket despite about 30 blokes playing either A-team stuff or attending the CoE.

Scoring lots of runs this summer is going to be a big stepping stone for him and I hope he does it but he's not going to be in the frame for the Ashes IMO. Wouldn't mind if he was, but I don't think he will be.