• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Retro Ashes - from 1990 onwards

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I didn't say that Lee was the better bowler - 'Not much between the bowling skills of Lee and Gillespie' is what I said.

Overall, I think that Lee brings more to the team than Gillespie, that's all. But I have no fixed opinion on the matter.
I think the one thing Lee brings to the Ashes is runs for England. Despite averging about 92MPH, rising to 96MPH when he was pissed off, he went for 42 runs a wicket in 05.

Yes I know Dizzy went for a tonne, but his career was clearly over at this point, whilst Lee would go on to lead the attack after McGrath.

I don't think there's any comparing Gillespie and Lee. Gillespie was clearly far better.

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Yeah I can't see any compelling reason for picking Lee and I was quite a fan of Bing.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Lee was a curious one. He often looked awesome in ODIs, but in tests he was **** for years.

When I think back to 05, the desperate situations and nail-biters. I was praying for the Aussies to bowl Lee, as despite his pace, he was the guy all our batsmen could milk. And unlike JG, he was meant to be at his peak at this point.

That is a litmus test in my view. When me, as the opposition, want him on as much as possible.

watson

Banned
Yeah I can't see any compelling reason for picking Lee and I was quite a fan of Bing.
Yeah, in an Ashes context Brett Lee would probably not be the best bowling option. An average of 40 against England is not good enough, although a Strike Rate of 63 isn't too bad.

Gillespie's comparative average of 29 is a lot better, as is a Strike Rate of 49.

However, the absence of Lee does make the tail look particularly weak.

watson

Banned
I think that Paul Reiffel is the forgotten bowler here. Against England his Average was 23 and Strike Rate 51.

He could also handle the bat well as he averaged 40 runs.

kingkallis

International Coach
G Gooch
A Cook
M Vaughan ( c )
G Thorpe
K Pietersen
A Flintoff
M Prior (wk)
G Swann
S Broad
D Gough
J Anderson

watson

Banned
G Gooch
A Cook
M Vaughan ( c )
G Thorpe
K Pietersen
A Flintoff
M Prior (wk)
G Swann
S Broad
D Gough
J Anderson
I could live with that team KK, as it's probably as strong as any.

What has become obvious is that England hasn't had a stand-out No.3 since I can't remember (Dexter or Barrington?). Michael Vaughan seems to win by default because of his captaincy.

adub

International Captain
I really thought I'd get a lot more stick for picking Jones over Jimmy than Fraser over Broad. Maybe I'm not the only one who regrets not getting to see much more of him at his best.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I really thought I'd get a lot more stick for picking Jones over Jimmy than Fraser over Broad. Maybe I'm not the only one who regrets not getting to see much more of him at his best.
The legend of Jones; made all the more stronger by the fact that he hasn't played a single test since Trent Bridge 05 - a potential lifetime ago for a cricketer.

In his "my 100 best pals and one or two cricketers" book, Warne mentioned how the Aussie dressing room mused over exactly how they should (or could) combat Jones. He compared batting to him with playing "russian roulette".

And I imagine Warne should know :cool:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Very close run thing for mine, but seeing as the qualification is right at the end of his great career and he was batting exclusively 5-6 at that stage I couldn't play him over Tugga or Mr Cricket or consider him at 4 over Junior. Take the qualification period back 5 years though and of course he has to be in the side.
I hear you. But it's AB. I would put him down on the team sheet as an automatic along with Steve and Tubby. I started watching in 88 so those 3 were massive. Always a spot for AB in an Aussie top 6 IMO.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Fox had a piece on Rieffel in the last series. I hadnt realized how good he had been in England.

adub

International Captain
yeah Pistol was not quite Alderman over there, but not too far behind either.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Slater
Langer
Boon/ Ponting
Waugh, M
Waugh, S
AB
Gilly
Warne
Reiffel
McDermott