• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ambrose or Mcgrath?

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Played more test matches and thus bowled more deliveries than both Hadlee and Wasim. Thus the Cricinfo tag of having bowled faster for longer than any man in history.

As for the pace, I'd like to believe that in his prime, Walsh must have been quicker than Hadlee. Slowed down towards the end of his career to the low 130s though.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Wals was just above medium pace by the end. Mostly around 130.
Got some occasionally massive seam movement in his final series in England in 2000, but yes was medium pace. I've never understood how a bowler like Walsh or Asif can get so much more seam movement (movement to the level of a spinner) than everyone else. I understand there is more to it but it seems to be a matter of just hitting the seam, which most pace bowlers do attempt to do successfully at some point.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Got some occasionally massive seam movement in his final series in England in 2000, but yes was medium pace. I've never understood how a bowler like Walsh or Asif can get so much more seam movement (movement to the level of a spinner) than everyone else. I understand there is more to it but it seems to be a matter of just hitting the seam, which most pace bowlers do attempt to do successfully at some point.
Ahh Asif. It hurts me that we'll never be talking about him in these sort of threads.

smash84

The Tiger King
asif was such a ridiculously skilled bowler......it is unfortunate that he was a massively skillful cheat as well

Slifer

International Captain
I put Courtney Walsh in the same bracket as the likes of Jason Gillespie: ****ing awesome and if offered one for my team I'd take them every time, but they're not quite on the same level as Marshall, Hadlee, McGrath, Ambrose, Imran, Lillee, Trueman and friends.
Top tier : Ambrose, Marshall, Hadlee, Wasim, Imran, Trueman, Donald, Steyn, Lillee, Mcgrath
2nd tier : Garner, Walsh, Roberts, Holding, Waqar, Pollock, Lindwall, Ahktar, Davidson, Hall, etc

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I think it's down to the amount of backspin one can impart on the ball (WARNING, Physics ahead). The faster a ball spins along its seam the greater rotational inertia it has so the angled edge of the seam will hit the turf and provide more movement as the seam due to the rotational inertia holds a significant "rigidity" to its motion. It isn't just going to hit the pitch and scramble so more change of direction will occur.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Top tier : Ambrose, Marshall, Hadlee, Wasim, Imran, Trueman, Donald, Steyn, Lillee, Mcgrath
2nd tier : Garner, Walsh, Roberts, Holding, Waqar, Pollock, Lindwall, Ahktar, Davidson, Hall, etc
Would definitely place Holding and possibly but not definitively Garner and Waqar into the first group.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Walsh moved the ball a RIDICULOUS amount on that Eng 2000 tour. Unplayable spells. He and Curtly just couldnt rip through the whole batting lineup on their own though, the rest of the attack was close to ****** standard. There would be barely a single hit for 10 overs of Walsh/Curtly, then King or Maclean would come on and get smacked around for an hour.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Walsh moved the ball a RIDICULOUS amount on that Eng 2000 tour. Unplayable spells. He and Curtly just couldnt rip through the whole batting lineup on their own though, the rest of the attack was close to ****** standard. There would be barely a single hit for 10 overs of Walsh/Curtly, then King or Maclean would come on and get smacked around for an hour.
yup, remember those days clearly. Those are the days a quality spinner would have been useful. King did have potential, just never managed to harness it.