• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

So, Hansie is dead

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
What do think about his death?
Well, I think that it is a loss to Cricket because he was a good cricketer but he trew ir away through money!

:cry: It is a loss to cricket! :cry:

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Yep.. Hansie was a great captain.
It's funny that I lost half of my craze for
cricket because of him, but yet he still is one of my favourite cricketers.

It is indeed a big loss to cricket :(

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
yup like i said before i supported him a lot when he was captain during the cricket world cup in England

its a sad loss to cricket

anthonysw

U19 Cricketer
Yes Hansie was a great captain and player. I will remember his efforts during the cricket world cup in England also. The unfortunate thing is that he will be remembered the most for the bribery scandal.

You have to feel for his family and friends. The bribery scandal would have impacted on them as much as him and now they have to deal with his death.

huntz02

Cricket Spectator
How can u all say he was a great cricketer? Please remember that a cricketer isn’t just judged on how well he plays but also your fairness towards the game which hansie wasn’t so he isn’t a good cricketer at all!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really feel for Hansie's family and also I felt for him at the time of the bribery scandal. Anyone remember that he accidentally killed a little girl in SA when driving through Soweto? That sort of incident, regardless of how at fault you are, can change someone for the worse often. Who knows? Maybe that led to him being tempted by people who wanted to buy him. Maybe his rationale for taking the money was that with the pain he was feeling in regards to that incident, nothing anyone else could do to him could possibly affect him as much? As someone who was a part-time counsellor, I can tell you I saw the same look in Hansie's eyes two years ago as I saw so often in people I helped.

So through all of this, I always had a certain amount of sympathy for Hansie. It seem sobvious in hind sight that the incident in Soweto affected his cricket too. Before that, he was averaging in the high 40's and had a pretty lethal pull and hook shot. After that time period, his average dropped and the pull and hook left his game, replaced by timid edges to bouncers to the keeper and slips.

Anyway, let's try to keep the thread civil, as it has been so far. I only say this because stuff like this has the potential to turn bad.

huntz02

Cricket Spectator
But we are talking about a whole career here & him cheating wrecked his whole career so he shouldnt be classed as a great cricketer.

Kimbo

International Debutant
You don't know what was going on in his head at the time he took the money. I don't think you can judge a player on one incident, he was a very respected captain until the match fixing incident.
I am in agreeance with top cat

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Cronje was a cricketer

He hit runs and got a few wickets

But he did game fix

He captained goodly

I think cronje will be remembered for his corruption because it was the biggest thing in cricket since Bradman.

And dont forget Bradman he is a legend

I dont know why i say that but he is
8D 8D

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Hey but i would cry more for Cronje that i would have done for Hollioake , i know that holioake did not match fix. But Cronje took cricket to a new level for the S.Africans

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Apparantly they can't cremate because they can't find anyone willing to throw a match on to start it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Below the belt.

It's a death, and all (well, almost all) deaths are sad occasions. But I won't be as affected as I would have without the match fixing - and it's what he'll always be remembered for. Look at Bruce Grobbelaar.