Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Englands Foreigners

Englands Foreigners

Just wondering if its beginning to wear thin on some England fans?

It is with me, just heard Stokes is a Kiwi, never knew that one.

For me the KP situation is completely fine, if you have an English parent/s then theres obviously no problem there regardless of where you have been brought up, you have English blood, the end.

Its the Trotts, Morgans, Rankins, Ballances that are wearing thin, might be wrong on Ballance/Stokes, not sure if they have an English parent but you get the jist, its bull**** tbh especially when you consider genuine English players like Onions and Taylor are having their England careers robbed from them by these players, that is the biggest travesty of it all.

I won't go on, no point, 'our' cricket team deserves all the grief they get for this.

They all have British passports = qualified to play for England = English.

Absolutely no problem.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Not one of them isn't a product of the English system, either by virtue of country cricket, or much deeper, in schools and clubs. I guess it's not ideal, but it's to be expected for a multi cultural country in the modern world. Also important that if anybody does try and reduce the number, they do so by improving the standard of those born in England not by restricting the difficulty for people with thinner connections to the country to qualify, which most people want and are already being implemented with the new 7 year qualifying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

International Debutant theegyptian's Avatar
    Stokes is the worst example. He came here at like 12 with his family and has been through all the Durham age groups.
    hendrix and OverratedSanity like this.

Definitely seen this thread once too often.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theegyptian View Post
    Stokes is the worst example. He came here at like 12 with his family and has been through all the Durham age groups.
    Yeah, like having a go over Prior and Strauss.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooky Monster View Post
    Just wondering if its beginning to wear thin on some England fans?

It is with me, just heard Stokes is a Kiwi, never knew that one.

For me the KP situation is completely fine, if you have an English parent/s then theres obviously no problem there regardless of where you have been brought up, you have English blood, the end.

Its the Trotts, Morgans, Rankins, Ballances that are wearing thin, might be wrong on Ballance/Stokes, not sure if they have an English parent but you get the jist, its bull**** tbh especially when you consider genuine English players like Onions and Taylor are having their England careers robbed from them by these players, that is the biggest travesty of it all.

I won't go on, no point, 'our' cricket team deserves all the grief they get for this.
    Why should countries like South Africa and New Zealand get to cherry pick players that have come through the English system in school, club and county cricket because those players happened to be born abroad?

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Is Stokes a British passport holder? His old man was a kiwi league international, after all.

Qualifies on residence under the ICC eligibility regs anyway, but the ECB insist on players being British or Irish passport holders.

Hope they've checked this time as they ended up with a little egg on their faces over one recent full international call-up who held neither.

Statto points to anyone who knows who I mean.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Jade. Had a South African and an Italian one IIRC.

Yet another reason not to pick him etc.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Yup, Italian passport holder.

Stokes moved with his family aged 11 or 12. His father Gerald Stokes was an ex Kiwi rugby league international, and then a coach. He moved to England to coach rugby league, I think he was coaching Workington or Whithaven in the level below Super League last I heard.

Wouldn't it be nice if people were able to keep their place of birth to themselves? Then the whingers might actually have to think a little about their arbitrary is-he-English-enough criteria. Which I expect would be enough to shut most of them up.

~

The person who I'd consider my best mate lived in SA until he was 14, then came through the system here before getting work here in his chosen area of expertise. People with those circumstances represent my view of our society pretty well. I don't think I've met anyone like Alastair Cook, though.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    I didn't grow up in South Africa

~

It's funny how Australia cop zero flack for picking Pakistan born Usman Khawaja or Fawad Ahmed. Or how South Africa copped nothing for picking Imran Tahir. I don't remember the West Indies copping anything when Brendan Nash was picked. Or when New Zealand picked Australian international Luke Ronchi.

^^^ I suppose the greater interest is the regularity of it but to be honest it has been around for some while now starting with the Greigs & D'Oliveira and into the 80s with Lamb & Smith etc but at the end of the day 'national pride' is probably less important than results anyways. So its a worth a joke or two but it really doesn't matter does it.

As I was saying about a year ago on here. A name to watch who falls in this category is Tom Curran, son of former Zimbo & Northants cricketer Kevin Curran who recently passed away. Born and bred in South Africa for 17 years but wanted to play for England even though he was in our SA U17 training camp squad preparing for the u19 WC next year. The new rulings meant he had to move to England before 18. A good all-rounder who debuted for Surrey already this season.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 23-09-2013 at 03:36 PM.

The one that I have most problem with is Chris Jordan

I understand that he has an English grandmother but the guy was playing fc cricket in the WI just a few months ago ffs

At least Nash left Oz cricket and moved to the WI completely

Jordan seems to have made an each way bet and simply played for the country that picked him first

That is definitely a loop-hole that needs to be closed

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information