• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands Foreigners

Cooky Monster

U19 12th Man
Just wondering if its beginning to wear thin on some England fans?

It is with me, just heard Stokes is a Kiwi, never knew that one.

For me the KP situation is completely fine, if you have an English parent/s then theres obviously no problem there regardless of where you have been brought up, you have English blood, the end.

Its the Trotts, Morgans, Rankins, Ballances that are wearing thin, might be wrong on Ballance/Stokes, not sure if they have an English parent but you get the jist, its bull**** tbh especially when you consider genuine English players like Onions and Taylor are having their England careers robbed from them by these players, that is the biggest travesty of it all.

I won't go on, no point, 'our' cricket team deserves all the grief they get for this.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not one of them isn't a product of the English system, either by virtue of country cricket, or much deeper, in schools and clubs. I guess it's not ideal, but it's to be expected for a multi cultural country in the modern world. Also important that if anybody does try and reduce the number, they do so by improving the standard of those born in England not by restricting the difficulty for people with thinner connections to the country to qualify, which most people want and are already being implemented with the new 7 year qualifying.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Stokes is the worst example. He came here at like 12 with his family and has been through all the Durham age groups.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just wondering if its beginning to wear thin on some England fans?

It is with me, just heard Stokes is a Kiwi, never knew that one.

For me the KP situation is completely fine, if you have an English parent/s then theres obviously no problem there regardless of where you have been brought up, you have English blood, the end.

Its the Trotts, Morgans, Rankins, Ballances that are wearing thin, might be wrong on Ballance/Stokes, not sure if they have an English parent but you get the jist, its bull**** tbh especially when you consider genuine English players like Onions and Taylor are having their England careers robbed from them by these players, that is the biggest travesty of it all.

I won't go on, no point, 'our' cricket team deserves all the grief they get for this.
Why should countries like South Africa and New Zealand get to cherry pick players that have come through the English system in school, club and county cricket because those players happened to be born abroad?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is Stokes a British passport holder? His old man was a kiwi league international, after all.

Qualifies on residence under the ICC eligibility regs anyway, but the ECB insist on players being British or Irish passport holders.

Hope they've checked this time as they ended up with a little egg on their faces over one recent full international call-up who held neither.

Statto points to anyone who knows who I mean.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Stokes moved with his family aged 11 or 12. His father Gerald Stokes was an ex Kiwi rugby league international, and then a coach. He moved to England to coach rugby league, I think he was coaching Workington or Whithaven in the level below Super League last I heard.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Wouldn't it be nice if people were able to keep their place of birth to themselves? Then the whingers might actually have to think a little about their arbitrary is-he-English-enough criteria. Which I expect would be enough to shut most of them up.

~

The person who I'd consider my best mate lived in SA until he was 14, then came through the system here before getting work here in his chosen area of expertise. People with those circumstances represent my view of our society pretty well. I don't think I've met anyone like Alastair Cook, though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I didn't grow up in South Africa

~

It's funny how Australia cop zero flack for picking Pakistan born Usman Khawaja or Fawad Ahmed. Or how South Africa copped nothing for picking Imran Tahir. I don't remember the West Indies copping anything when Brendan Nash was picked. Or when New Zealand picked Australian international Luke Ronchi.

SeamUp

International Coach
^^^ I suppose the greater interest is the regularity of it but to be honest it has been around for some while now starting with the Greigs & D'Oliveira and into the 80s with Lamb & Smith etc but at the end of the day 'national pride' is probably less important than results anyways. So its a worth a joke or two but it really doesn't matter does it.

As I was saying about a year ago on here. A name to watch who falls in this category is Tom Curran, son of former Zimbo & Northants cricketer Kevin Curran who recently passed away. Born and bred in South Africa for 17 years but wanted to play for England even though he was in our SA U17 training camp squad preparing for the u19 WC next year. The new rulings meant he had to move to England before 18. A good all-rounder who debuted for Surrey already this season.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The one that I have most problem with is Chris Jordan

I understand that he has an English grandmother but the guy was playing fc cricket in the WI just a few months ago ffs

At least Nash left Oz cricket and moved to the WI completely

Jordan seems to have made an each way bet and simply played for the country that picked him first

That is definitely a loop-hole that needs to be closed

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I don't see it as an issue. Nations that have had diverse populations have done well due to a wide range of people with different skill sets. It's also one of the reasons why corporations value diversity. As long as you are loyal to the country you live in and serve what is wrong with that?

Flem274*

123/5
Luke Ronchi, Eoin Morgan and Boyd Rankin are the really rank ones. Most of the others like Stokes, KP etc are fine.

Last edited:

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I would add Fawad Ahmed to that list only because Aussie immigration laws were changed to accomodate him & Dirk "two countries in one year" Nannes