Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: West indies-A tour of India!!

Miller spins West Indies A to big win | Cricket Match Report | Wisden India

The fourth and final day of the India A v West Indies A match started with the West Indians declaring their second innings at their overnight score of 130 for 3, setting the Indians a target of 315 from a minimum of 90 overs at the Gangothri Glades stadium in Mysore on Saturday (September 28).

Chasing that target on a pitch that was aiding spinners was never really in question, and, in the end, the Indians sank to a 162-run loss an hour after tea, Manprit Juneja’s battling 70 well overshadowed by the West Indian spinners led by Nikita Miller, who had astounding returns of 5 for 40 from 36.4 overs.

The West Indians went on the offensive straightaway, opening the bowling with Miller, the left-arm spinner, and Miguel Cummins, and putting men in catching positions all around the bat.

The approach of KL Rahul and Jiwanjot Singh, the Indian openers, suggested that the first objective was to see out at least the first hour, or even the first session, and get into a secure position before deciding on the next step.

The plan might have worked better had both batsmen not thrown their wickets away. Rahul went first after scoring nine, guiding a short, harmless looking delivery from Miller to Leon Johnson at first slip. Then, 19 for 1 became 46 for 2 when Jiwanjot (24) was too early on a drive off Veerasammy Permaul and offered an easy catch to Kirk Edwards at short cover.

Juneja walked in and was dropped when on two by Chadwick Walton off Permaul, the wicketkeeper failing to latch on to a regulation chance. But at the other end, Miller had the measure of Cheteshwar Pujara, beating his forward prod to catch him plumb in front. Pujara was dismissed for 17, his second failure of the match, and India A had slipped to 62 for 3 at lunch.

With Pujara’s dismissal, even the slim possibility of India A going after the target had to be ruled out and it became a matter of the Indians prodding and the West Indian bowlers probing.

Appeals came thick and fast and Juneja and Miller, who had a war of words in India A’s first innings, had another not-too friendly exchange, more fielders came close to the bat with the spinners in operation and it seemed that the next wicket could fall any moment.

Rohit Motwani, who walked in at Pujara’s wicket, was clearly out of his depth. He tried to hit his way out of trouble, edged a boundary to third man, but was out lbw to the part-time offspin of Narsingh Deonarine and India A were four down for 84. Soon after, it was 90 for 5 when Harshad Khadiwale followed Motwani’s example of trying to hit out, failed to get on top of the ball, and gave an easy return catch to Deonarine for his second wicket.

Despite the mayhem, Juneja stood out, much like he in the first innings when he scored 84 glorious runs. The chatter increased with Juneja having more than one eyeball to eyeball confrontation with the opposition players; he swept Deonarine for a six to bring up the team’s hundred, then pulled his hamstring, got up and immediately waded into another scrap – this time with Powell – all along inching closer towards another half-century.

The milestone came up with a late cut off Miller, but the story didn’t change at the other end.

Rajat Paliwal was the next to go, caught at gully by Kraigg Brathwaite off Miller. Parveez Rasool came, hit two boundaries, and went back quickly enough under somewhat unfortunate circumstances when Permaul bowled him with one that rolled along the ground after pitching. Mohammad Shami scratched around for a bit before miscuing a slog to Edwards at short cover off Miller.

If the Indians managed to take the game into the last hour, it was entirely because of Juneja’s enterprise. The runs came at a trickle, but he managed to keep Ishwar Pandey from the strike for a while. Smart, because when Permaul got a chance to have a go at Pandey, he was out second ball, caught at forward short-leg by Brathwaite.

Juneja was the last man to go, trapped in front after his 195-minute vigil, and Miller had completed match figures of 9 for 101 with his five-for. Permaul had 2 for 53 for the innings and Deonarine 2 for 29, while the pacemen – Cummins and Delorn Johnson – were involved in only nine of the 85.4 overs and had little to show for their efforts.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Abacus View Post
    Another exaggerated personality stereotype conspiracy brought to you by Kippax.
    NZ RAIN RADAR . TAB CRICKET OPTIONS . KIPPAX CRICKET . DOOR TO THE VAULT

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Thanks Kippax, great result in terms of the match but hoped thed next pitch offers more for the fast bowlers as Miller isn't the futue of W.I cricket. Glad to see Powell score some runs and glad for Edwards as well. Hope Brathwaite never makes it near a W.I senior team again.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Debutant WindieWeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Thanks Kippax, great result in terms of the match but hoped thed next pitch offers more for the fast bowlers as Miller isn't the futue of W.I cricket. Glad to see Powell score some runs and glad for Edwards as well. Hope Brathwaite never makes it near a W.I senior team again.
    Excuse me? are you talking about Ruel Brathwaite or something? because if you're talking about young Kraigg then i really cannot fathom that statement. This is a 20 year old kid who beat Sobers record of more 50s at test level at the age of 18 and last year he had a great fc season finishing second only to Devon Smith. Now he goes and gets a 92 in the first innings of this first test and you're complaining?

He could easily go on to be another Chanderpaul imo with the game he has and his patience!!..and that's something we need more of in caribbean cricket.
    One Day cups- Champions trophy winners-T20 cup-29 test series without defeat record- and some think we're a "minnow".

Thanks Kippax
    Yep Wisden India doing quite well of late, getting a ladder and picking the high-hanging fruit Cricinfo are too rich, nostalgic and lazy to bother with -

Posts related to Ind A Vs WI A 2013 | Cricket News | Blogs | Articles | Wisden India

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    He could easily go on to be another Chanderpaul imo with the game he has and his patience!!..and that's something we need more of in caribbean cricket.
    Welcome to kyear, where your strike rate and "dominating the opposition" is the only thing that matters for batsmen. Patience is for beta male pussies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

West Indies A's victory over India A shows up some interesting points-
    • Most of Ranji 2012-13 was played on either flat decks, or on seaming strips with thick grass that made any medium-slow-dibbly-dobbler a competitive bowler. Already one was thrashed off, leg and straight in the Challenger Trophy. The excessive slant towards breeding seamers and swingers and the lack of support for spinners (most teams played just one spinner and Mumbai, in particular, dropped their best spinners for unknown flat-pelters) meant these blokes, fresh from Ranji/Hazare have not faced enough spin. And fell apart.
    • This seam-and-swing-centric selection has come unstuck here. They picked three seamers, who made merry on greentops, but couldn't take a wicket on something not green enough- where Parvez Rassool and the West Indians picked up plenty.
    • India A is playing at the same time as the Challenger Trophy and the Champions' League T20. That's diluted the whole setup, with players being scattered across teams playing in three events.
    • A-team tournaments are largely a learning experience for teams, and winning is just a part of it, if it happens. However, when the A-team is full of players who have been found wanting while playing for the main team, it may not be very productive, unless they win games. India A was often used as an opportunity for individuals to make the main team, at the expense of team dynamics.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

I think 3 pacers is the best way to go for India A. Primarily they are about feeding into the senior team and we need pacers at the moment. We don't have loads of spinners but Jadeja and Ashwin do a good job and we have people like Ojha and Mishra who are the reserves. With pace, it can be argued that we do not have even one reliable good opening bowler.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    I think 3 pacers is the best way to go for India A. Primarily they are about feeding into the senior team and we need pacers at the moment. We don't have loads of spinners but Jadeja and Ashwin do a good job and we have people like Ojha and Mishra who are the reserves. With pace, it can be argued that we do not have even one reliable good opening bowler.
    Yeah but it's pretty pointless if you're just going to pick players like Dinda anyway. We already know he's rubbish.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Yeah but it's pretty pointless if you're just going to pick players like Dinda anyway. We already know he's rubbish.
    Yes. I'd rather see Dhawal Kulkarni play. I think he is a top prospect.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieWeathers View Post
    Excuse me? are you talking about Ruel Brathwaite or something? because if you're talking about young Kraigg then i really cannot fathom that statement. This is a 20 year old kid who beat Sobers record of more 50s at test level at the age of 18 and last year he had a great fc season finishing second only to Devon Smith. Now he goes and gets a 92 in the first innings of this first test and you're complaining?

Kraigg is a selfish player and from actually talking to players who play with him, he cares only for his average and places an undue pressure on his partners to score. I have spoken to team mates of his all the way from high school and he could care less about team situation or requirements. He lacks that second gear to be able to score quickly if required even if he wanted to and proved to be a walking wicket at his last opportunity. Would love for Powell to take that next step in his progression and take on the mantle of our number one opener.

Quote Originally Posted by Manee View Post
    The Indian team needs genuine pacers, not green-top-wobbler bullies like the whole platoon spawned by the last Ranji season. The only decent ones are Ishwar Pandey (who was gobbled up by Chris Gayle) and Mohit Sharma (who's slipping in the CLT20 now), both a season or two old. The pacers we're seeing come forth are not pacers, but swing/seam bowlers who won't last ten overs outside their comfort zone of green-tops and chilly winds. Already Suraj Yadav was smashed all around. We want more Umesh Yadavs, more Varun Aarons, more Pawan Suyals, and not more Vinay Kumar clones.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    The Indian team needs genuine pacers, not green-top-wobbler bullies like the whole platoon spawned by the last Ranji season. The only decent ones are Ishwar Pandey (who was gobbled up by Chris Gayle) and Mohit Sharma (who's slipping in the CLT20 now), both a season or two old. The pacers we're seeing come forth are not pacers, but swing/seam bowlers who won't last ten overs outside their comfort zone of green-tops and chilly winds. Already Suraj Yadav was smashed all around. We want more Umesh Yadavs, more Varun Aarons, more Pawan Suyals, and not more Vinay Kumar clones.
    The big issue is that we do not have dozens who can bowl at 135kph+. We have to make do with what we have. Dinda, for example, is one of very few that we have who can bowl over 140kph, but it has come time to move on.

Kraigg is a selfish player and from actually talking to players who play with him, he cares only for his average and places an undue pressure on his partners to score. I have spoken to team mates of his all the way from high school and he could care less about team situation or requirements. He lacks that second gear to be able to score quickly if required even if he wanted to and proved to be a walking wicket at his last opportunity. Would love for Powell to take that next step in his progression and take on the mantle of our number one opener.
    Good players use stats as motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
    Lol. Largely agree though I'm not so fond of bowlers with all pace and no accuracy or skill (aka Ishant). A skilled, accurate medium pacer has his place, but most of the leading Ranji seamers are nowhere near as accurate or skilled as they need to be. You should also stop hating on a couple of bowlers who might have struggled in a t20. That bears no indication on how they'll do in the longest format of the game. Gayle has bullied plenty of bowlers in t20s and will continue to do so. First-Class cricket is a totally different animal from t20 and it's a shame we make judgments on players based on a few slapdash innings.

As far as how this match went, disappointing to say the least but a lot of it can be chalked up to conditions:
    Pandey having ok figures but nothing impressive
    Jiwanjot showing he still can't play spin. Probably to his benefit that he's exposed now than if he was irresponsibly fast-tracked.

What seems a little less explainable:
    Pujara's two poor scores. Won't make much of them yet, but this is competition that he should be able to dispatch with relative ease if he's as good as helooks.
    Juneja being the top batsman for India by a mile. Expectations are only getting higher for the young man.
    Prince EWS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JontyPanesar View Post
    Lol. Largely agree though I'm not so fond of bowlers with all pace and no accuracy or skill (aka Ishant). A skilled, accurate medium pacer has his place, but most of the leading Ranji seamers are nowhere near as accurate or skilled as they need to be. You should also stop hating on a couple of bowlers who might have struggled in a t20. That bears no indication on how they'll do in the longest format of the game. Gayle has bullied plenty of bowlers in t20s and will continue to do so. First-Class cricket is a totally different animal from t20 and it's a shame we make judgments on players based on a few slapdash innings.
    I'm not sure Ishant has much pace to be relevant these days. I'm talking of the likes of Yadav/Aaron/Nechim/Suyal, who have serious pace, and would prefer to see them taking loads of wickets. Nothing wrong in that, eh? My main complaint about the likes of Pandey and Mohit Sharma being elevated to the national team is that they are only a season or two old, and most of their success has come in greentops, winds and chills. We haven't seen them run through Ranji sides on flat decks in the West or turning strips in the South and East.

My other concern raised was about the excess of greentops in the domestic scene. These are not breeding quality fast bowlers. They're making mediocre medium-pacers (Suraj Yadav, for instance) look competitive, but stifling not just spinners but also batsmen, albeit to a lesser degree. I feel there should be a mix of flat decks, seaming wickets, turning tracks, mixed-up trails and even a few win-the-toss-win-the-game changing pitches, so that everyone's prepared- batsmen score on turners and greenies, spinners take wickets even when it doesn't turn, seamers get wickets on flat decks and teams have plenty of all-rounders coming forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by JontyPanesar
    As far as how this match went, disappointing to say the least but a lot of it can be chalked up to conditions:
    Pandey having ok figures but nothing impressive
    Jiwanjot showing he still can't play spin. Probably to his benefit that he's exposed now than if he was irresponsibly fast-tracked.

What seems a little less explainable:
    Pujara's two poor scores. Won't make much of them yet, but this is competition that he should be able to dispatch with relative ease if he's as good as helooks.
    Juneja being the top batsman for India by a mile. Expectations are only getting higher for the young man.
    Pandey, JJ, Paliwal, Juno, Rahul, Shami so many of these blokes are either a season old or have not played plenty for their State teams. Mostly greenhorns. This is a learning experience for a lot of them. Greentop-bred JJ can't play spin these days, but maybe we'll see him do better next season. Pandey can learn a lot on what it takes to chip wickets on something that doesn't seam a lot. Juno's got plenty of runs, but we need to watch him over four more seasons before he's a prospect at all. And of course, with three events (this one, the Challenger Trophy that's concluded, and the CLT20 where reserves warm benches) going on together, dilution cannot be ruled out.

We also have to note that West Indies' A team are a lot stronger than the New Zealand A team that got flattened in the previous event. They're also a lot more experienced than the current India-A side, with an average of 50 matches per player as against India A's 30. Hardly greenhorns, with 7/11 players having played over fifty FC matches, as against 2/11. India A should treat it as a learning experience, but if anyone in that side is trying to launch a bid to make the main team with individual performances, tough luck.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information