• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West indies-A tour of India!!

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking forward to see how Cummins performs. Really think he is something special and key to the W.I future.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
264/5 on the first day isn't a bad effort at all. Although of course it would have been better if Kraigg or Edwards not got out. What kind of pitch is this? Some have said it's good for batting while others think there's something in it for the bowlers?!!..i guess we'll see when we bowl. I'd be happy with anything over 350 tbh!!..Fudadin is gonna have to step it up in the first session because eventually he'll get out if he keeps being so defensive.

I also agree with Kyear about Cummins!!..the boy just has that ability to bowl a line that the batsmen can't resist having a nibble at!!..and his pace is good too. Shame Cotterrell has had to come home injured but Delorn Johnson should be a very good partner for Cummins anyway.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fudadin really opening up has enabled WI to reach 400+. Up to a strike rate of 41 now.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The coverage for this FC leg is disappointing, much like India A's batting. The spinners have a lot to gain here, as all three spinners in operation have got plenty of wickets, but I feel most of India A's batsmen have thrown their wickets away to the spinners.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Well from our point of view it's been a fantastic match for the first three days!!..Kraigg, Edwards and Fudadin all batted superbly to push our total up to 429 and many thought the track was merely a road. But when India came in they started well but as soon as we nicked those two quick wickets we put pressure on them. The spinners came into play and pretty much ripped the heart out of the India batting line-up!!..they were out for 245 and we had a 184 lead!!..Edwards decided not to make them follow on and for the last 30 overs we made 130/3!!..so early tomorrow i'd expect us to declare at around the 350 lead mark and then have a go at India!!..i expect it to be tough but apparently the wicket is really starting to turn sharply so our spinner just might be licking their lips again.

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Spin would be the intelligent selection here but it is far more interesting to see how pace bowlers do in these conditions against batsmen of this caliber.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Really proud of the boys today as we won the game by 162 runs HERE . The spinners yet again tormented the Indian's!!..Miller got 5fer, Permaul three and Deonarine (prince ews will love this lol) got TWO wickets at a crucial time to break a partnership. I did wonder whether we would bat again at the start of the day but Edwards took the decision to declare overnight on a 314 lead which to me was a little brave of him seeing as Pujara was in that line-up.

All in all the only disappointment is our pacers just couldn't get anything out of that track!!..and once our spinners got going they were virtual spectators while Permy, Miller and Deo bowled over after over. I hope the next track provides more for the pacers.

In closing apparently Sehwag, Gambir and Zaheer Khan will play the next game so no doubt it's gonna be a tougher affair but being one up means we won't have to push too hard and it will be India who has to take risks in the last two games. Anything can happen through so i won't be counting my chickens.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Sehwag and Gambhir won't necessarily make it a tougher challenge. But I think Zaheer definitely will.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Miller spins West Indies A to big win | Cricket Match Report | Wisden India

The fourth and final day of the India A v West Indies A match started with the West Indians declaring their second innings at their overnight score of 130 for 3, setting the Indians a target of 315 from a minimum of 90 overs at the Gangothri Glades stadium in Mysore on Saturday (September 28).

Chasing that target on a pitch that was aiding spinners was never really in question, and, in the end, the Indians sank to a 162-run loss an hour after tea, Manprit Juneja’s battling 70 well overshadowed by the West Indian spinners led by Nikita Miller, who had astounding returns of 5 for 40 from 36.4 overs.

The West Indians went on the offensive straightaway, opening the bowling with Miller, the left-arm spinner, and Miguel Cummins, and putting men in catching positions all around the bat.

The approach of KL Rahul and Jiwanjot Singh, the Indian openers, suggested that the first objective was to see out at least the first hour, or even the first session, and get into a secure position before deciding on the next step.

The plan might have worked better had both batsmen not thrown their wickets away. Rahul went first after scoring nine, guiding a short, harmless looking delivery from Miller to Leon Johnson at first slip. Then, 19 for 1 became 46 for 2 when Jiwanjot (24) was too early on a drive off Veerasammy Permaul and offered an easy catch to Kirk Edwards at short cover.

Juneja walked in and was dropped when on two by Chadwick Walton off Permaul, the wicketkeeper failing to latch on to a regulation chance. But at the other end, Miller had the measure of Cheteshwar Pujara, beating his forward prod to catch him plumb in front. Pujara was dismissed for 17, his second failure of the match, and India A had slipped to 62 for 3 at lunch.

With Pujara’s dismissal, even the slim possibility of India A going after the target had to be ruled out and it became a matter of the Indians prodding and the West Indian bowlers probing.

Appeals came thick and fast and Juneja and Miller, who had a war of words in India A’s first innings, had another not-too friendly exchange, more fielders came close to the bat with the spinners in operation and it seemed that the next wicket could fall any moment.

Rohit Motwani, who walked in at Pujara’s wicket, was clearly out of his depth. He tried to hit his way out of trouble, edged a boundary to third man, but was out lbw to the part-time offspin of Narsingh Deonarine and India A were four down for 84. Soon after, it was 90 for 5 when Harshad Khadiwale followed Motwani’s example of trying to hit out, failed to get on top of the ball, and gave an easy return catch to Deonarine for his second wicket.

Despite the mayhem, Juneja stood out, much like he in the first innings when he scored 84 glorious runs. The chatter increased with Juneja having more than one eyeball to eyeball confrontation with the opposition players; he swept Deonarine for a six to bring up the team’s hundred, then pulled his hamstring, got up and immediately waded into another scrap – this time with Powell – all along inching closer towards another half-century.

The milestone came up with a late cut off Miller, but the story didn’t change at the other end.

Rajat Paliwal was the next to go, caught at gully by Kraigg Brathwaite off Miller. Parveez Rasool came, hit two boundaries, and went back quickly enough under somewhat unfortunate circumstances when Permaul bowled him with one that rolled along the ground after pitching. Mohammad Shami scratched around for a bit before miscuing a slog to Edwards at short cover off Miller.

If the Indians managed to take the game into the last hour, it was entirely because of Juneja’s enterprise. The runs came at a trickle, but he managed to keep Ishwar Pandey from the strike for a while. Smart, because when Permaul got a chance to have a go at Pandey, he was out second ball, caught at forward short-leg by Brathwaite.

Juneja was the last man to go, trapped in front after his 195-minute vigil, and Miller had completed match figures of 9 for 101 with his five-for. Permaul had 2 for 53 for the innings and Deonarine 2 for 29, while the pacemen – Cummins and Delorn Johnson – were involved in only nine of the 85.4 overs and had little to show for their efforts.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Thanks Kippax, great result in terms of the match but hoped thed next pitch offers more for the fast bowlers as Miller isn't the futue of W.I cricket. Glad to see Powell score some runs and glad for Edwards as well. Hope Brathwaite never makes it near a W.I senior team again.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Thanks Kippax, great result in terms of the match but hoped thed next pitch offers more for the fast bowlers as Miller isn't the futue of W.I cricket. Glad to see Powell score some runs and glad for Edwards as well. Hope Brathwaite never makes it near a W.I senior team again.
Excuse me? :ph34r: are you talking about Ruel Brathwaite or something? because if you're talking about young Kraigg then i really cannot fathom that statement. This is a 20 year old kid who beat Sobers record of more 50s at test level at the age of 18 and last year he had a great fc season finishing second only to Devon Smith. Now he goes and gets a 92 in the first innings of this first test and you're complaining?

He could easily go on to be another Chanderpaul imo with the game he has and his patience!!..and that's something we need more of in caribbean cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
He could easily go on to be another Chanderpaul imo with the game he has and his patience!!..and that's something we need more of in caribbean cricket.
Welcome to kyear, where your strike rate and "dominating the opposition" is the only thing that matters for batsmen. Patience is for beta male pussies.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
West Indies A's victory over India A shows up some interesting points-
  • Most of Ranji 2012-13 was played on either flat decks, or on seaming strips with thick grass that made any medium-slow-dibbly-dobbler a competitive bowler. Already one was thrashed off, leg and straight in the Challenger Trophy. The excessive slant towards breeding seamers and swingers and the lack of support for spinners (most teams played just one spinner and Mumbai, in particular, dropped their best spinners for unknown flat-pelters) meant these blokes, fresh from Ranji/Hazare have not faced enough spin. And fell apart.
  • This seam-and-swing-centric selection has come unstuck here. They picked three seamers, who made merry on greentops, but couldn't take a wicket on something not green enough- where Parvez Rassool and the West Indians picked up plenty.
  • India A is playing at the same time as the Challenger Trophy and the Champions' League T20. That's diluted the whole setup, with players being scattered across teams playing in three events.
  • A-team tournaments are largely a learning experience for teams, and winning is just a part of it, if it happens. However, when the A-team is full of players who have been found wanting while playing for the main team, it may not be very productive, unless they win games. India A was often used as an opportunity for individuals to make the main team, at the expense of team dynamics.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think 3 pacers is the best way to go for India A. Primarily they are about feeding into the senior team and we need pacers at the moment. We don't have loads of spinners but Jadeja and Ashwin do a good job and we have people like Ojha and Mishra who are the reserves. With pace, it can be argued that we do not have even one reliable good opening bowler.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think 3 pacers is the best way to go for India A. Primarily they are about feeding into the senior team and we need pacers at the moment. We don't have loads of spinners but Jadeja and Ashwin do a good job and we have people like Ojha and Mishra who are the reserves. With pace, it can be argued that we do not have even one reliable good opening bowler.
Yeah but it's pretty pointless if you're just going to pick players like Dinda anyway. We already know he's rubbish.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Excuse me? :ph34r: are you talking about Ruel Brathwaite or something? because if you're talking about young Kraigg then i really cannot fathom that statement. This is a 20 year old kid who beat Sobers record of more 50s at test level at the age of 18 and last year he had a great fc season finishing second only to Devon Smith. Now he goes and gets a 92 in the first innings of this first test and you're complaining?

Kraigg is a selfish player and from actually talking to players who play with him, he cares only for his average and places an undue pressure on his partners to score. I have spoken to team mates of his all the way from high school and he could care less about team situation or requirements. He lacks that second gear to be able to score quickly if required even if he wanted to and proved to be a walking wicket at his last opportunity. Would love for Powell to take that next step in his progression and take on the mantle of our number one opener.