• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2013 Short formats

CricketJustGame

Cricket Spectator
No I am not aware. I have not been following much of cricket played by other countries. Who used it first? I would love to see this rule in English condition. I don't think India would have won champions trophy with this rule in English condition.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No I am not aware. I have not been following much of cricket played by other countries. Who used it first? I would love to see this rule in English condition. I don't think India would have won champions trophy with this rule in English condition.
The Champions Trophy did use two new balls per innings though.. :laugh:

It's been a rule since October 2011. It's hardly a new thing.

dermo

International Vice-Captain
its the change to the fielding restrictions more than any other factor that's resulted in these high scoring games, given most teams will have mid on and mid off back it essentially means you cant defend one side of the field

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only allowing four instead of five outside the circle is the real impact. It's so hard to defend with only four, it leaves absolutely no margin for error now.

Back when it was five, you'd set the field for where you want the batsmen to hit, but you'd also throw a fielder on the other side just as a back up if the bowler doesn't get it right or the batsman improvises. Can't do that now, so when this bowler misses his zone (which we've seen heaps of this series) the batsman cashes in a much larger percentage of time.

Webcomics

Cricket Spectator
That really remains to be seen. During the champion's trophy they were in truly spectacular form. The rule alone doesn't win matches.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Only allowing four instead of five outside the circle is the real impact. It's so hard to defend with only four, it leaves absolutely no margin for error now.

Back when it was five, you'd set the field for where you want the batsmen to hit, but you'd also throw a fielder on the other side just as a back up if the bowler doesn't get it right or the batsman improvises. Can't do that now, so when this bowler misses his zone (which we've seen heaps of this series) the batsman cashes in a much larger percentage of time.
This rule is more damaging tbh, but at the same time, the 2 new balls rule creates a kind of imbalance, because outside SC, on seaming wickets, the openers have the challenge of facing a new ball from each end. It makes it extremely difficult for the openers, and after the 15-20 overs, it will be comparatively easier since there will be hardly any turn for spinners and the pace bowlers will not be as dangerous after the ball is a bit older.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Why would there be any less turn at the 30 over mark with two new balls than there would be at the 15 over mark with one?

Last edited:

Spikey

Well it's either introduce a replacement ball at the 34th over mark (the old rule) or this one (two new balls), unless someone creates a white ball that actually keeps it's colour for 50 overs (now that the HSC is basically over Dermo can do it)

but people please, let's join together and attack over restrictions for bowlers.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Well it's either introduce a replacement ball at the 34th over mark (the old rule) or this one (two new balls), unless someone creates a white ball that actually keeps it's colour for 50 overs (now that the HSC is basically over Dermo can do it)

but people please, let's join together and attack over restrictions for bowlers.
That was still fine.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Are the balls used in LOIs the same as the one's used in T20? If so, how come spinners are so successful in T20 cricket?