• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2013 Short formats

Shri

Mr. Glass
If Australia can bench Mitchell Johnson so often for poor performances, despite him being express pace and bowling vicious short ones, why can't India bench Ashwin at least once? Besides, India gave Ishant as much of a fair chance as the Aussies gave Doherty, because this is the weaker area in the bowling. Ishant doesn't have too many replacements- maybe none. Ashwin is in ahead of Mishra and Kartik because of Dhoni's backing, Srini's backing and an age certificate in age-favoured selections. Let nobody's place be taken for granted, young or old.
No ffs. He has not performed bad enough to be dropped yet on merit. His performances have been below average not abysmal.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I really don't think too many bowlers deserve the axe after getting smacked once or twice on glass pitches tbh, like, what the **** are the replacements going to do?

Swingpanzee

International Regular
Ashwin hasn't been pathetic. The problem with him is that he tries too many variations, almost every delivery of his seems to be a variation. It's like he's trying too hard. In fact he bowled a very good penultimate over, although admittedly the Australian batsmen may not have targetted him as much. One could as much make a case with Jadeja not getting wickets. Tbh India's downfall started from the over Yuvraj Singh conceded 12 to bring Australia to 125-3, and or prominently the Kohli over (which was just a weird decision by Dhoni. Why not give Raina the ball instead?)

Another thing I didn't get was why Dhoni used Jadeja up in the batting boweplay. Surely he would have useful for the death overs?

Anyway, top win by Australia. They need to stop giving away strong position like having India 160 something - 6, but that can partly be attributed to a fabulous knock by Dhoni. Hopefully they maintain this standard and win the series.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
I really don't think too many bowlers deserve the axe after getting smacked once or twice on glass pitches tbh, like, what the **** are the replacements going to do?
I agree. The problem with India in that match was that they had it coming. Ever since the Kohli over, Australia were about scoring 10-12 runs every alternate overs. Surely I didn't expect such a big drubbing in that over, but there was a high probablity that Australia were going to go big by targeting either of the fast bowlers.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not an excuse. Australia's bowlers are faring much better on the same pitches, on which India's batting is formidable. Mitch, in fact, is doing exceedingly well, and helping slower bowlers chip more. The bowlers have to raise their game on flats.
Ashwin hasn't been pathetic. The problem with him is that he tries too many variations, almost every delivery of his seems to be a variation. It's like he's trying too hard. In fact he bowled a very good penultimate over, although admittedly the Australian batsmen may not have targetted him as much. One could as much make a case with Jadeja not getting wickets. Tbh India's downfall started from the over Yuvraj Singh conceded 12 to bring Australia to 125-3, and or prominently the Kohli over (which was just a weird decision by Dhoni. Why not give Raina the ball instead?)

Another thing I didn't get was why Dhoni used Jadeja up in the batting boweplay. Surely he would have useful for the death overs?
Ashwin, to his credit, didn't have so much protection, but when someone picked largely on economy gets smacked around, you need to think. He's not a poor bowler, and definitely a better all-rounder than the heavily-protected Jadeja (and we wonder why Jadders doesn't bowl in the power plays and closing overs) but someone needs to have a word with him before it's too late.
No ffs. He has not performed bad enough to be dropped yet on merit. His performances have been below average not abysmal.
He should have been dropped at least for a game, just to send a message that non-performance cannot be excused. Yuvraj, Zaheer, Harbhajan, Sehwag and Gambhir have been dropped permanently, while non-performing youngsters like Ashwin get away with loads of poor performances. I just feel this Ishant-bashing is a dead horse. Every other bowler has been poor, when the chips are down.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Ashwin, to his credit, didn't have so much protection, but when someone picked largely on economy gets smacked around, you need to think. He's not a poor bowler, and definitely a better all-rounder than the heavily-protected Jadeja (and we wonder why Jadders doesn't bowl in the power plays and closing overs) but someone needs to have a word with him before it's too late.
He should have been dropped at least for a game, just to send a message that non-performance cannot be excused. Yuvraj, Zaheer, Harbhajan, Sehwag and Gambhir have been dropped permanently, while non-performing youngsters like Ashwin get away with loads of poor performances. I just feel this Ishant-bashing is a dead horse. Every other bowler has been poor, when the chips are down.
Ashwin is not picked for his ****ing economy rate alone. He can perform multiple roles as a bowler when he is on form. He can open the bowling, contain batsmen and can pretty much do everything a good spinner can do. He has had a dip in form and will recover with a few minor changes in his bowling tactics. And he is the most experienced ODI bowler in the side at the moment(Ishant Sharma is a potato and doesn't count) and you don't just ****ing throw away experience like that for silly reasons.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll always give spinners a bit of leeway when you consider that they bowl the majority of there overs with a ball that's 10 or so overs old and finish up their quota of overs when the ball is around 20 odd overs old. This 2 new ball rule isn't going to work well in India.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If Australia can bench Mitchell Johnson so often for poor performances, despite him being express pace and bowling vicious short ones, why can't India bench Ashwin at least once? Besides, India gave Ishant as much of a fair chance as the Aussies gave Doherty, because this is the weaker area in the bowling. Ishant doesn't have too many replacements- maybe none. Ashwin is in ahead of Mishra and Kartik because of Dhoni's backing, Srini's backing and an age certificate in age-favoured selections. Let nobody's place be taken for granted, young or old.
Because Australian selectors have no idea how to manage selection and foster confidence in players. See Lyon, Agar, Hughes, Khawaja, Cowan, Starc, Bird...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
People do realise nearly everyone is getting shot to bits when they bowl in this series, don't they?