• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in India 2013 Short formats

Woodster

International Captain
Ishant has to miss out for the fourth ODI, I'm sure he still has a future in ODI's for India but he currently looks extremely low on confidence and just doesn't have the belief to stick the ball in the areas he knows he should be bowling. That over that went for 30 he didn't believe he could nail the yorkers such is the small margins of error and so was content to try and bang it in where you don't have to be as accurate and just hoped Faulkner picked out deep square, but it kept sailing over his head! I'm sure it'll serve Ishant well, as it obviously will India, just to take him out of the spotlight for now and let him work on improving his game and finding his form again.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Having just seen the scorecard for the first time, I have no words for just how ****ing good MS Dhoni is.

cricmahanty

School Boy/Girl Captain
Soon you'd have people coming up with stats on how Dhoni's tons and an Indian victory never go hand-in-hand.

Today's knock and the one at Chennai against Pakistan last year should probably go down into a top 5 or a top 10 of best knocks in a losing cause. You can't help but feel pity for the bloke.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Soon you'd have people coming up with stats on how Dhoni's tons and an Indian victory never go hand-in-hand.
Its a good point but I reckon people have tried and failed. The reason he likes batting second is so that he knows exactly what he can get and so he can get that within the allotted time (and not a moment before!).

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ashwin is very droppable IMO; he's serving up complete pies and Mishra is reasonable depth.
Amit Mishra has an incredible ODI record. Granted most of it is against West Indies and Zimbabwe but certainly earned a go. Especially since Australia are not too hot against good spin at the moment. Pragyan Ojha is worth consideration too. I know he lengthens the tail but he has great control of flight. It is a tough call because Ashwin does offer a good technique with the bat down the order which could have won us the match today if not for Ishant.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ishant has to miss out for the fourth ODI, I'm sure he still has a future in ODI's for India but he currently looks extremely low on confidence and just doesn't have the belief to stick the ball in the areas he knows he should be bowling. That over that went for 30 he didn't believe he could nail the yorkers such is the small margins of error and so was content to try and bang it in where you don't have to be as accurate and just hoped Faulkner picked out deep square, but it kept sailing over his head! I'm sure it'll serve Ishant well, as it obviously will India, just to take him out of the spotlight for now and let him work on improving his game and finding his form again.
Simply must be dropped. We have Umesh Yadav and Dhawal Kulkarni waiting to come into the squad and we have Unadkat and Shami inside the squad. All of them would be better options, except maybe Unadkat but he seems in good form.

Woodster

International Captain
Simply must be dropped. We have Umesh Yadav and Dhawal Kulkarni waiting to come into the squad and we have Unadkat and Shami inside the squad. All of them would be better options, except maybe Unadkat but he seems in good form.
Yes, Umesh Yadav is the only one I've seen a fair amount of and he certainly would add something different to the Indian attack. I know there will be days when he'll go round the park, especially against the more accomplished batting line-ups, but at least he'll offer a wicket-taking threat, he would offer an aggressive approach, someone to charge in with intent and stop the Aussies from plonking their front foot down and smashing it into the stands. I know he can be erratic, but right now he'd at least give them some purpose.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, Umesh Yadav is the only one I've seen a fair amount of and he certainly would add something different to the Indian attack. I know there will be days when he'll go round the park, especially against the more accomplished batting line-ups, but at least he'll offer a wicket-taking threat, he would offer an aggressive approach, someone to charge in with intent and stop the Aussies from plonking their front foot down and smashing it into the stands. I know he can be erratic, but right now he'd at least give them some purpose.
I just hope Varun Aaron can retain full fitness soon. He looked like such a good limited overs bowler. 145kph and very skiddy. Apparently he is on the comeback trail.

YouTube Dhawal Kulkarni, I'm interested what you think.

the big bambino

International Captain
Johnson's been roughing up your guys and if fit you need Yadav to return it. Don't know abt dropping Ashwin though. He kept it under control while it was slaughter at the other end. True he may have benefitted from the batsmen deliberately milking than smashing him but its telling the Aussies believed him too difficult to hit, according to their comments on cricinfo.

Woodster

International Captain
I just hope Varun Aaron can retain full fitness soon. He looked like such a good limited overs bowler. 145kph and very skiddy. Apparently he is on the comeback trail.

YouTube Dhawal Kulkarni, I'm interested what you think.
Yes I remember watching Aaron against England and being very impressed with his potential. Again another bowler that can get it down the other end at a rapid rate.

Just had a look at Kulkarni on You Tube picking up nine wickets in the Ranji Trophy final and in some IPL games. Looks like he has a pretty repeatable strong action, and I'm guessing he's very much a build up of pressure type bowler, disciplined in his areas judging by his first-class economy, a very different type of proposition than say a Yadav or Aaron. What do you think he could offer India in this ODI series on the tracks we've seen so far ? Presumably playing IPL he's learnt a few changes of pace deliveries and can mix things up ?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched Ishant's over to Faulkner and that really was dreadful bowling - great hitting but he served it up on a plate

Anyway, Faulkner is showing all the signs of being a top cricketer for Oz in the future as he seems to have the temperament to cope with most things

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes I remember watching Aaron against England and being very impressed with his potential. Again another bowler that can get it down the other end at a rapid rate.
Indeed. India has a medium paced attack but it takes just two or three bowlers to change that and Yadav/Aaron are both 145kph bowlers. Rahul Shukla and Pavan Suyal both have bowled upwards of 140kp in the IPL too.

Just had a look at Kulkarni on You Tube picking up nine wickets in the Ranji Trophy final and in some IPL games. Looks like he has a pretty repeatable strong action, and I'm guessing he's very much a build up of pressure type bowler, disciplined in his areas judging by his first-class economy, a very different type of proposition than say a Yadav or Aaron. What do you think he could offer India in this ODI series on the tracks we've seen so far ? Presumably playing IPL he's learnt a few changes of pace deliveries and can mix things up ?
He's got a decent off spin slower ball but recent ODIs have really turned me off slower balls to any full time batsmen, unless it is seriously awesome like McKay (even Dernbach and Faulkner's, you can sometimes see coming). I think he has a good action, can bowl good bouncers and yorkers and is an accurate bowler. I think one of the important problems with Vinay Kumar is not his pace but the fact that he has been bowling a lot of bad deliveries. I think Dhawal will bowl fewer of these. Moreover, he has been consistently pushing 140kph when he played IPL cricket and even though I don't think T20 is his perfect format (is a bit expensive for Mumbai Indians), I think it is promising to see him bowling such a good pace. It his hard to go off List A records as a whole* but he has done well in India A ODs against opposition and I think we should take this very seriously as people from A teams come into ODI batting lineups all the time. It is not like Test cricket where there is a more set unit. Maybe he'll be a disappointment like Vinay Kumar, but I think he is certainly worth a go. A lot of people that watched him bowl in Ranji Trophy in India said he was bowling at 135kph and clearly showing a talent for bowling on flat pitches that was better than his peers. I've also heard this about Shami too.

*Because India don't seem to take domestic OD cricket that seriously. It is a very rushed schedule and a lot of teams rest their best players. There are a lot of dreadful teams in the domestic OD competition that get bowled out for under 150 regularly too. It is all a bit of a joke. I think if we cannot make the FC cricket primarily zonal, we should certainly do so for the OD cricket.

Woodster

International Captain
Indeed. India has a medium paced attack but it takes just two or three bowlers to change that and Yadav/Aaron are both 145kph bowlers. Rahul Shukla and Pavan Suyal both have bowled upwards of 140kp in the IPL too.

He's got a decent off spin slower ball but recent ODIs have really turned me off slower balls to any full time batsmen, unless it is seriously awesome like McKay (even Dernbach and Faulkner's, you can sometimes see coming). I think he has a good action, can bowl good bouncers and yorkers and is an accurate bowler. I think one of the important problems with Vinay Kumar is not his pace but the fact that he has been bowling a lot of bad deliveries. I think Dhawal will bowl fewer of these. Moreover, he has been consistently pushing 140kph when he played IPL cricket and even though I don't think T20 is his perfect format (is a bit expensive for Mumbai Indians), I think it is promising to see him bowling such a good pace. It his hard to go off List A records as a whole* but he has done well in India A ODs against opposition and I think we should take this very seriously as people from A teams come into ODI batting lineups all the time. It is not like Test cricket where there is a more set unit. Maybe he'll be a disappointment like Vinay Kumar, but I think he is certainly worth a go. A lot of people that watched him bowl in Ranji Trophy in India said he was bowling at 135kph and clearly showing a talent for bowling on flat pitches that was better than his peers. I've also heard this about Shami too.

*Because India don't seem to take domestic OD cricket that seriously. It is a very rushed schedule and a lot of teams rest their best players. There are a lot of dreadful teams in the domestic OD competition that get bowled out for under 150 regularly too. It is all a bit of a joke. I think if we cannot make the FC cricket primarily zonal, we should certainly do so for the OD cricket.
Yes slower balls can become predictable and easy to pick when you're bowling them every other ball. I don't want my opinions to come across based solely on pace, of course there is more to a good ODI bowler than just throwing it down at express pace. I just feel this India is a bit samey and just needs spicing up. The effect that Mitchel Johnson has given Australia cannot be understated especially when he's used appropriately as George Bailey is doing.

It could well be worth giving him a go, if as you say, he's impressed in India 'A' games and is effective on such flat decks. Against an in-form international line-up it could well be hard work for him, but they'll never know unless they try. He must be able to mix it up and just hit the areas consistently, I agree that the likes of Kumar have been way off at times when executing their deliveries.

Sounds like the domestic OD comp in India can be somewhat misleading!

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll take this loss if it means Ishant gets dropped, with Umesh fit and Bhuvi doing well that's our 2 seamers for the Windies test matches, which means Ishant gets dropped from tests as well, hopefully Zak gets among the wkts and then we have a reasonable attack, seriously Ishant gtfo, you simply don't have the ability to succeed at the international level at present.

Dhoni WAG, so the last 2 overs of the Indian innings early morning before work, dude is easily in the top 5 of all time ODI bats (nearing towards the top 3).