Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Better Test stats than FC stats

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromLancs View Post
    Yeah you're right. Warne was marginally better in Tests (25 - to 26 in FC), wheareas Swann's is 28 in Tests and 31 in FC.
    Cricinfo's FC stats include the player's test stats. Purely in FC his average was a clear few rungs below.
    Exit pursuing a beer

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    Cricinfo's FC stats include the player's test stats. Purely in FC his average was a clear few rungs below.
    Not really, even if you remove tests, his pure FC average is still 26.9... Not a significant difference from his test average

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    Barrington:
    58 in Tests, 45 in FC
    His is definitely a case where I think his slumps happened while he was playing FC and not tests. Tests are what matter, though
    Before the modern era I think there's a fair few English guys who had better test batting averages than FC averages. Hobbs, Sutcliff and Hammond all have higher test averages iirc (I think Barrington's has by far the biggest difference though)
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Scott Styris and Nathan Astle, because both decided part way through their FC careers to stop being medium pacers who could have a swing and start being batsmen who bowled a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Brendon McCullum is another - clearly a better Test record than FC, and his List A and ODI records are almost identical. That's kind of surprising, really, because he was selected way, way, way too early - particularly in ODIs.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Sutcliffe deserves a mention, especially considering the gigantic sample size of his FC record.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

I always thought Barrington was a bit of a dasher at first class level, played all the shots,but in test cricket with 5 days not 3 to take advantage of, he put away his shots and turned out to be better as a defensive player than in "normal" mode.

Another potential reason: pitches in domestic cricket might be more/less helpful than those in test cricket, thus aiding batsman/bowler when he starts playing test cricket

County pitches might have been tougher than the average test pitch for some time (perhaps some Shield batsmen would have better averages in test given current state of pitches). On the flip side, I would suspect some Pakistani bowlers to have better test averages than fc averages as the flip side to this (since Pakistani domestic pitches can be quite dead, though their fc structure isn't the most credible either).

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy View Post
    Sutcliffe deserves a mention, especially considering the gigantic sample size of his FC record.
    Probably because the general standard of English FC cricket was higher than most Test cricket, and Australian pitches were flat as ****.
    ​63*

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Michael Clarke is another one who has better Test (and ODI, iirc) stats than First Class and List A.

With players like Clarke, when they're selected young and on the basis of talent, they'll play so little domestic First Class cricket that if they develop and perform as hoped in the Test side, they won't play enough FC to "correct" their record.
    Michael Clarke's batting and bowling averages are both better at test level than at FC level.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Because he doesn't get to bowl at India in the Shield.

David Gower's test average (44) is higher than his FC average of 40. The feeling at the time was he simply cba with the domestic game.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Because he doesn't get to bowl at India in the Shield.
    14 of Clarke's 30 test wickets have come against India. But he also has 9 West Indian wickets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information