• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which international cricketer are you most like in whatever grade you play/played

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Simple enough question. Who are you most like?

I'm going to say Ian Botham personally. I can (used to) be able to open the bowling, but really preferred first change and quite like bowling with the older ball. I get a bit of decent swing, but can also be relied on to take wickets with a bit of **** bowling regularly. I'm a bit of a tin arse/golden arm with the ball too.

With the bat I'm a bit hit and miss, but I can go big at times, and I probably don't make as many runs as I should. When I do make runs it usually happens quickly.

Usually bat 6 or 7, usually open the bowling or bowl first change.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Probably a bit of an Ed Cowan for my side

Left-handed opening batsman with a limited technique, based more on temperament and solid defence than flashy shots. Haven't made nearly as many runs as I should have in the past couple of years, and very hard on myself after being dismissed. Decent enough in the field. Breaking the example, I'm also a very occasional bowler and the reserve wicketkeeper.

Action-wise I channel a little bit of a really bad version of Mike Procter (bowling more-or-less off the wrong foot) crossed with James Faulkner (back of the hand) when I'm bowling mediums. No clue when I'm bowling leg spin.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was pretty similar to Chris Martin - reliable but unspectacular new-ball bowler; comically awful with the bat.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
James Anderson - medium pace swing bowler..just one random day I will be making the ball do pretty much what I want and pick up lots of wickets, and one random day, I will bowl all day and go wicketless and fail to even get tailenders out without knowing exactly what I am doing wrong or different.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Mohammad Kaif with the bat.

Stuart MacGill with the ball when MacGill's hand was ****ed near the end of his career.

ajdude

International Coach
michael beer

except i'm right handed. and bowl legspin. and am a better bat than bowler.

but i like beer

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Andrew Symonds, cos I just don't give a ****, used to love fishing. But also offspin/medium, handy best fielder in my team. bat 6/7 occasionally get some runs.
Though when I first bowled off spin I wanted to bowl like Tim May, even the same skip in the run up, but hey I was a kid!

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Matthew Wade, iron gloves, left handed, dreadful against spin but like pace on the ball. Score quickly when in.

L Trumper

State Regular
General opinion of my friends was that when batting I resembled Steve Waugh. I never bowled, and used to bat at no.3 though.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I suppose Ntini. Open chested, wide of the crease, not doing a lot with the ball, slanting it in, never could bowl a great slower ball.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Given that I only played with my school and university friends, below comparisons mean nothing from quality perspective. Obvious disclaimer.

Dravid as a batsman: Always had exaggerated foot movement etc, and wanted to always play that perfect defensive shot. And considering that we always played limited overs cricket, my teammates used to get furious when I left alone an outside off stump ball. There used to be periods when I went without getting out or being the last man standing for multiple matches. Was at a loss when I had to slog. Occasionally succeeded to hit a few boundaries but got out soon after that. My best memory is when I cover drove 3 successive balls for fours in a region where I spotted a gap, last one being an almost inside out drive on a ball pitched on middle.

Saqlain as a bowler: I bowled off spin and in the days when I first started playing regularly, Saqlain was the best off spinner in the world (Murali was yet to come of age). I modeled my action after him. Loved to ball to lefties against whom I generally found my length sooner.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I modelled myself on Geoff Boycott as a batsman, except I cut out the more extravagant shots he played

As a bowler it was Garry Sobers' verstility thaat I shared, occasionally I bowled quickish stuff, badly, sometimes off spin, even more badly, but usually leg breaks and googlies, well just googlies really, and save the one miraculous never to be forgotten occasion when I took 4-17 (against a half decent side as well), I was crap at that too

I wasn't a bad fielder though - threw my shoulder out when I was 16 so wasn't too hot at that but I was pretty nimble on my feet, had decent anticipation and was quite quick over the ground - I could also catch better than most at my standard, particularly those steeplers that most of the others hated