• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

smalishah84's favorite XI

smash84

The Tiger King
Inspired by GF and Bagapath I decided to take a shot at my favorite XI. Over 30 years of watching cricket and well before the time of the cable TV (which arrived in Pakistan in the mid 90s). Some of the cricketers I only got to watch on video tape on that cool gadget in those days called the VCR :d (or unless highlights were later shown on PTV) but they left a lasting impression. Others I was fortunate enough to watch live. So I will kick off my countdown with one of the greatest fast bowlers of all time.

smash84

The Tiger King
This isn't strictly speaking the greatest XI that I feel that I have seen but people I would love to go back in time and watch again

smash84

The Tiger King
First up on my favorite's list is

Michael Holding

Michael Holding | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

249 wickets at just over 23.5 and striking at under 51 Michael Holding is the prince of fast bowlers. Before he had fans (and women in particular) drooling over his voice in the commentary box Micheal Holding was a sight to behold on the cricket field. He never played in Pakistan so unfortunately I never got to see him play live but thanks to the video cassette and the VCR you could get clips of Michael Holding bowling down under (or in England). The first thing you noticed about him was him turning at the top of the mark and then just glide onto the wicket. He seemed to be running on air in his run up and in all my years of watching cricket I don't think I have seen a more natural fast bowler. The second thing you would notice when you would watch those videos (or read about him in the papers) was just how consistently quick he was. Relentless is the word really. Despite his fitness problems, when on the wicket, it is difficult to find too many bowlers in history who could crank up the pace so much and to keep it there. He was pretty much the ideal fast bowler and many would argue the most enjoyable bowler to watch from among all those WI great fast bowlers of the 70s and 80s. One of my favorites from my early days of watching cricket and one who has made a lasting impression. Yes, you do have the Malcolm Marshalls, the Glenn McGraths, and the Ambroses who got wickets cheaper, but none of them made cricket so entertaining and enthralling as Michael Holding. You don't believe me? Ask Geoffrey Boycott.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Now to my choice of opener. In my books of stylish batsmen this batsman ranks right up there with the Laras and the Gowers and one of those batsmen that I really enjoyed watching bat. It doesn't hurt that he is arguably the greatest catcher EVER to grace the cricketing field. Put him anywhere in a catching position and the batsmen dare not hit it towards him.

In cricket if you wanted to see the old adage "poetry in motion" in action you had to see Mark Waugh batting. This guy could make batting look so stylish and easy. The whip off the legs, the flick through mid wicket, the flowing cover drive, the beautiful cut shot, he could play all these shots and more making even the quite graceful of left handers (to whom grace usually comes nataurally) look ugly. Over 8000 runs at just under 42 probably doesn't do his talents real justice but when in flow I can't imagine too many batsmen better than him. He had all the time in the world and even with the likes of Shoaib Akhtar furiously hurling down lightning thunderbolts Mark never seemed to be hurried. He was also a useful off spinner to boot and could hold up one end from time to time. And perhaps no other man in history added more value by his fielding than Mark Waugh. Sometimes my brother and I would just watch Australia's matches hoping to see Glenn McGrath get the batsman to edge one into the slips and seeing Mark Waugh dive full length, or push out reflexively, or even just plainly take a catch at chest height. It was just the ease with which he took catches that made it look spectacular and remarkably fun at the same time. The stylish Waugh brother from down under takes one of the opener's slot in my favorite XI

Edit: Just had to post a picture of one of his jizzworthy catches

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Now to my choice of opener. In my books of stylish batsmen this batsman ranks right up there with the Laras and the Gowers and one of those batsmen that I really enjoyed watching bat. It doesn't hurt that he is arguably the greatest catcher EVER to grace the cricketing field. Put him anywhere in a catching position and the batsmen dare not hit it towards him.

The stylish Waugh brother from down under takes one of the opener's slot in my favorite XI

Edit: Just had to post a picture of one of his jizzworthy catches
Dude, Mark didn't open in tests, only ODIs. VCR got the order wrong? :) :D Holding is a golden choice though!

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He'd be great as an opener in an AT ODI Xi but tests? I dunno about that.... I know it's your "favourite" XI and not greatest, but he would be really out of place as an opener

Love the Holding pick, though, wonderful bowler and pretty underrated tbh

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I can only assume Waugh was someone you desperately loved to see and so needed somewhere to put him. Cos opener in tests is odd, but your team your way.
He was as you said though, very stylish bat and good fielder. Well done.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Spoiler Alert

Mark Edward Waugh is my favourite Cricket of all time so I think its a great selection - but Waugh has to bat in the middle order.

smash84

The Tiger King
I knew it would be a controversial choice because Usually Slats and Mark Taylor opened for the Aussies in the 90s and Langer and Haydos after that. However, I just love Mark Waugh and always thought he was good enough to open in tests.

smash84

The Tiger King
He'd be great as an opener in an AT ODI Xi but tests? I dunno about that.... I know it's your "favourite" XI and not greatest, but he would be really out of place as an opener
I always thought that Mark Waugh should open in test matches as well, it was a pity that he rarely played in the top order but in my team he is coming out to open. This team will have style and substance and there is no one better than Waugh who fits the bill.

smash84

The Tiger King
I can only assume Waugh was someone you desperately loved to see and so needed somewhere to put him. Cos opener in tests is odd, but your team your way.
He was as you said though, very stylish bat and good fielder. Well done.
precisely

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
I always thought that Mark Waugh should open in test matches as well, it was a pity that he rarely played in the top order but in my team he is coming out to open. This team will have style and substance and there is no one better than Waugh who fits the bill.
precisely
Thinking about it, I did used to like watching Waugh and Haydos walk out for the Aussies in the ODI's. Waugh was still stylish hitting huge sixes in some of those games