Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: smalishah84's favorite XI

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    well, I don't think he swayed all the time, he may have ducked too but my more vivid memories are of him swaying out of the way because he did it really well, probably better than any other that I have seen
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    What was his percentage of swaying vs ducking in the sub continent?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Gavaskar is 5'5" which means what would be a chest high skidder for the 6 foot Vengsarkar would be a chin threatening bouncer for him. A hip high in dipper for the majority would be an in coming skidder. A normal bouncer aimed at a tall batsman's head would pass above his head quite harmlessly.

Pietersen is supposed to be the tallest batsman in the 7000 club. No one else stood 6'4" or above and scored as many runs as him. Sunny must be the shortest of the lot.

Such obviously conspicuous physical traits must come with their own advantages and limitations.

So Pietersen learnt to pull off the front foot and Gavaskar learnt to weave out of bouncers.
    schearzie and honestbharani like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    Gavaskar is 5'5" which means what would be a chest high skidder for the 6 foot Vengsarkar would be a chin threatening bouncer for him. A hip high in dipper for the majority would be an in coming skidder. A normal bouncer aimed at a tall batsman's head would pass above his head quite harmlessly.

Pietersen is supposed to be the tallest batsman in the 7000 club. No one else stood 6'4" or above and scored as many runs as him. Sunny must be the shortest of the lot.

Such obviously conspicuous physical traits must come with their own advantages and limitations.

So Pietersen learnt to pull off the front foot and Gavaskar learnt to weave out of bouncers.
    That's the same height as Sachin I think
    EDIT I believe 5'4" for Gavaskar (holy crap, that's the old girls height!), and 5'5" for Sachin. wonder what Bradman was...
    Last edited by schearzie; 18-09-2013 at 07:59 AM.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Vijay 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. De Kock+ 7. Stokes 8.Johnson 9.Harris 10. Herath 11. Steyn

According to Wikipedia Bradman's height was 5ft 7in.........

The next entry might be a bit of a surprise to many people

Imran is not a surprise

The captain of my side and my favorite cricketer of all time. The surprise part is that I am not doing Imran last

Imran Khan

It might be impossible for people not raised in Pakistan in the 1980s and 90s to imagine just what Imran meant to that generation of Pakistanis. For that generation he was Dennis Lillee, Tom Cruise, Casanova and dependable batsman xyz rolled into one. It certainly helps his persona that he is the most glamorous man to grace the cricket field. Period (maybe with the possible exception of Keith Miller). He was literally what every boy dreamt to be be. The girls wanted to be with him and the guys wanted to be like him , yes I know the Jack Reacher motto is quite cheesy from Lee Child but it really did apply to Imran. He was the first express bowler to come out of Pakistan. The first thing you noticed Imran at that time (talking of the early 80s) was his long run up. Turning at the top of the mark, staring into the batsman's eyes to see if he detected anything and then he would bow his head and start his run up and gathering speed his mane would be flowing, his arms making small swift circles during his run up and then he would near the crease and leap in the air, coiling while at the top of his jump (at times as high as the top of the stumps it seemed) and then uncoiling and sending down thunderbolts swinging in viciously. The batsmen would see their stumps flying and it would be such an exhilirating sight. Another thing that I loved about him was that he absolutely hated losing and was probably the most hardworking cricketer I have ever seen ensuring that himself and his team do not lose out EVER due to a lack of preparation. He wasn't naturally as talented as your Tendulkars or Vivs or Laras or Wasims. He worked REALLY REALLY hard. He started off as a medium pacer and completely changed his action to become (at one point) the fastest bowler in the world. He would be the first Pakistani bowler to really set the batsmen up and get them out and he would pass it on to Wasim and Waqar. He also had that never say die spirit which the Pakistanis always admired (but sadly always lacked). His leadership provided real spine to the Pakistan team, so much so that they would challenge arguably the finest sporting unit of all time. He also worked really hard to become a very dependable batsman. He could hold up an end and save matches.. His determination, grit, hard work, bowling, work ethic, dependable batting, leadership and his charisma make him my favorite cricketer of all time. The highest post ww2 peak of any bowler and the lowest average (and SR?) for the whole of the 1980s. When you saw him on the field you knew Imran was special. He looked regal, commanding, and stood out from the rest of the players on the field. It is sad that his bowling often gets forgotten due to him being marked as one of the great all rounders. He bowled well everywhere and always looked to get the best opposition batsmen out (and did it most of the times too). Perhaps Sunil Gavaskar phrased it best to watch Imran running into the breeze to send down his thunderbolts "Imran Khan running in to bowl is a sight for gods".

Have to admit that I have taken very small parts of the write up from Bagapath and Burgey's words on Imran because I thought they really fit the bill.

And now for some rare Imran pics :d (some from his playboy days too which I am sure Imran the politician wouldn't want to see too much )

Last edited by smalishah84; 18-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    hendrix likes this.

glad you didn't leave him til last, I'm assuming he's batting in his preferred 7 position?
    Good write up, would have liked some more on his batting but still shows how influential and heroic he was to many, including outside Pakistan.

Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    glad you didn't leave him til last, I'm assuming he's batting in his preferred 7 position?
    Good write up, would have liked some more on his batting but still shows how influential and heroic he was to many, including outside Pakistan.
    Actually no, in this team Imran will bat at 8.

Team so far and it is shaping up to be such an awesome team if I say so myself

1. Sunil Gavaskar
    2. Mark Waugh
    3. Viv Richards
    8. Imran Khan*
    9. Wasim Akram
    11. Michael Holding

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    That's the same height as Sachin I think
    EDIT I believe 5'4" for Gavaskar (holy crap, that's the old girls height!), and 5'5" for Sachin. wonder what Bradman was...

Sachin says he is 5' 6'' apparently
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    And about Imran, while Charismatic and Glamorous are words often thrown around first when describing him, I really think the word that should be used is Determination. His 1992 WC exploits, his entire batting career (given he was not a naturally talented batsman as a Kapil may have been) are the best indications of how much he achieved by sheer determination, for all his considerable talent. One of the rarest cases of amazing talent married to amazing determination and commitment IMO..
    smalishah84 likes this.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Great bowling attack so far.
    RIP Craigos

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Ah Imran, what a legend. My hero whilst growing up and I have had the privilege of meeting him once at his hospital. I am also distantly related to him through the marriage of my aunt to his first cousin's brother-in-law (my uncle).
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread Information