• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fulton a bolter for England 2004

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I'm not entirely familiar with the roads surrounding Old Trafford. Never been there. Just heard about this in Wisden.
I have, and find it highly unlikely any car parked around the ground (and not in the car park) could reflect the sun onto the pitch.

I do remember a greenhouse stopping play though.

Craig

World Traveller
Rich2001 said:
Why we are on this amusing cricket mishaps

Anyone remember Somerset vs someone (Helpfull hey ;) ), Ian Ward was in the commentary box at the time when Ian Blackwell launched one over deep mid-wicket and into the car park.

Ian Ward commented that, that ball could do some damage... Of course it did! to Mr Ward's car :lol:
Lol, there was the case in the 200 ICC Konockout Tournament in Kenya where Brett Lee hit one helluva six of Zaheer Khan which broke somebodies car window!

Rich2001

International Captain
World Cup in England (1999) and a Pakistan batsman hit a 6.... Pepsi were one of the major sponsors and had serval large ad boards around the ground, anyway this 6 was hit and it smashed into the board and got stuck in it, but the best part was it was like a foot away from putting the dot on the 'i' :lol:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I assumed you meant at Exeter.
Nope, never seen anything like that at Exeter.
There have been many broken car windows, but no vengence attempts quite like that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I have, and find it highly unlikely any car parked around the ground (and not in the car park) could reflect the sun onto the pitch.

I do remember a greenhouse stopping play though.
I appear to have mixed Murali, Lancs and Old Trafford up with Robinson, Sussex and Hove. Quite how I don't know.
You are quite right that Old Trafford doesn't have any car-parking space within the correct angles of the ground. Nor does Hove have an east-west square alignment.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Up in Durham, play was stopped because Alan Shearer's car windscreen was reflecting onto the pitch and blinding the batsmen. Shearer's car was parked at the nearby Newcastle United training ground. Someone had to take a blanket over and put it over the windscreen before play could resume! :lol: :lol:

Classic moment there, think I read it in Simon Hughes' "A Lot of Hard Yakka" which is a very funny book.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Classic moment there, think I read it in Simon Hughes' "A Lot of Hard Yakka" which is a very funny book.
Both of his books are quality!

(Discounting any written as "The Analyst")

Craig

World Traveller
Well one person I think who will go to England is Rob Nicol, he can bowl medium pace and some finger spin and hasnt been doing badly at all for Auckland.

The big hope Jesse Ryder (In words of Tim) isnt even playing FC cricket ATM.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Right well if ppl have been following my ramblings for the last year or so they will know that I have gone out of my way even to suggest that Peter Fulton is a very good player.
Once again I will say that he instantly reminded me of Mark Waugh, he plays some awesome cover drives.
He'll definately be in the touring squad for England, providing he makes runs for NZ 'A'.

Jesse Ryder is a big talent but I think he's slipped down the pecking order..he's only 18 whereas Papps, McIntosh & Fulton are all 23/24 & now have quite a few years of experience at FC level.

Rob Nicol will be great for NZ in a few years, he's had a mixed bag so far this season for Auckland so its hard to see him getting ahead of the 3 players i previously mentioned.

The positive signs are that there has been a boom in centuries this season & its the same players so we're seeing some consistency.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig..im sure even Rob would be the first to admit that his bowling isn't exactly up to international standard just yet.

4 overs for 54 runs against C.D the other week isn't that brilliant! lol.

PY

International Coach
Worst bowling figures Neil? Seem to remember I might have been stationed on the midwicket boundary and the ball sailing over my head a lot!!! :lol:

Mine probably aren't the best either. The joys of playing pitches the size of a football pitch.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The other player who could jump the queue for the England tour could be Jamie How..I think he could do well at #3 despite opening for C.D.

He hit 2 consecutive centuries at the end of last season & this season he's made two innings of note: 97* (match abandoned) & 163 yesterday against Otago.
I remember that Dean Jones rated him highly when Central played in that World Club Championship tournament in Perth a few years back. How is perhaps maturing much like Tim McIntosh has recently.
At the beginning of the the 2002/2003 season, McIntosh only averaged around 32, so How is possibly heading up the same way.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its certain now that Vincent will not play against South Africa in the test matches and up until recently McIntosh was a shoe-in to replace him..however Michael Papps has suddenly joined the party & the next 2 or 3 Championship matches could decide the winner.

McIntosh might have the slight advantage because his opening partner has been Mark Richardson for Auckland.

Ming

State 12th Man
Tim McIntosh is in a bad patch of form at the moment, and has done nothing since his 2 100's a while ago now.

Michael Papps is a very compact player, and a stylish one at that too. I would rather have that Cantab than McIntosh at the moment, breaks up that all leftie combo and Papps is in better form.

Well How scored 163 yesterday, but he hasn't performed as consistently as McIntosh and Papps in recent seasons.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well thats what i've been saying...How was averaging around 19 or 20 before the end of last season.

McIntosh & Papps were similar, they had poor records but because they've done the hard yards at FC level rather being thrown straight into international cricket they've built their averages up each season.

And you're right about McIntosh, he only scored 18 today against Canterbury....it has been interesting to see players fall in & out of selection potential over the last 2 months.

Craig

World Traveller
Well isnt it a good thing to see plenty of openers all vying for one spot? Showing the standard is rising.

Unless injury, I think McCullum has a good chance of going as a back up 'keeper. When McCullum improves his 'keeping to international standard (I assume he is) then he may have some competition with Robbie Hart.