• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fulton a bolter for England 2004

Craig

World Traveller
Lol I like St.Lawerence especially with that big oak tree. Can a player be caught off it?

Bazza

International 12th Man
So if you hit it over the tree and it lands inside the rope, is it 4 or 6? Can you be caught?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR the tree is close enough to the boundary for it to be just about impossible for anything clearing the tree not to clear the boundary, but were the ground made bigger on the tree side, anything clearing the tree and landing inside the boundary would still be fully in play and would not be four until it crossed the rope.
If someone could see a ball as it cleared the tree, position themselves and catch it, they're a better fielder than I ever will be!:D

Rich2001

International Captain
Richard said:
If someone could see a ball as it cleared the tree, position themselves and catch it, they're a better fielder than I ever will be!:D
LOL :lol: - Richard you just have to go for it, while your climbing all over the cars standing on the roofs just put out of your mind all the screaming car owners, the catch is all that matters (espically if on TV) :lol:

The best on I saw was at the 20/20 last year we played Surrey and A.Symonds went over the tree area just to the left but as the ball dropped out of the sky you just saw the fans dive for cover, unfortuanly the nice young lady walking with the tray of beers didn't, the ball bounced about a meter infront of her and I've never seen someone jump quite so much! somehow she got away with only dropping half her contents (will make Marc happy not all was wasted).

Actually thinking about that Iam thinking Symo is up to something, he was the same batsman who smashed a 6 into the fans at T'bridge' Wells and hit a steward right on the head :(

Rich2001

International Captain
halsey said:
I think that happened quite a few times.
Yeah it happenes quite a bit, that's why there are many signs around saying "Cars parked at own risk, Kent CCC hold no responsiblity"

I remember once me and a mate went to watch the tour match Kent v NZ and Matthew Horne was in blinding form (hit 172 I think) and he personally broke about 2/3 windows in his inngs alone!.

Amusing at the time as every 5 mins you would hear the PA say... "Would the owner of car registration xxxxxx return to their car please" - By the end of the day the PA was having a laugh with us all with announcements like "The owner of car registrations xxxxxx might like to call the RAC out"

However it will NEVER beat the PA guy at Hampshire a couple of seasons back, one of the Kent fielders in the slips took a catch and obviously the PA wasn't looking so over the PA system he said "Would the feilder who took the catch like to rise their hand for me" Obviously the Kent lads fancied a laugh and next thing you know 11 hands were raised! - Priceless

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And then there was the guy who'd had his window broken earlier in the season by a mammouth hit from none other than our great "I'm-a-slogger-and-I-love-to-admit-it" friend. Not parked in the car-park, mind, that was into the street.
In the penultimate game of the season (Murali had gone home by then) this same fellow turned-up, got his car into a position that he knew would reflect the sun exactly onto the east-west alignment of the square, and tried to stop play by burning the sun into the batsmen's eyes.
As you can guess he wasn't a cricket fan.
Anyway, the whole otherwise-brilliant tactic had overlooked the fact that fans with rugs were about everywhere.:lol: Loser.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm not entirely familiar with the roads surrounding Old Trafford. Never been there. Just heard about this in Wisden.

Rich2001

International Captain
Why we are on this amusing cricket mishaps

Anyone remember Somerset vs someone (Helpfull hey ;) ), Ian Ward was in the commentary box at the time when Ian Blackwell launched one over deep mid-wicket and into the car park.

Ian Ward commented that, that ball could do some damage... Of course it did! to Mr Ward's car :lol: