• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Matthew Hoggard Retires

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He still deserves a thread of his own - abiding memory is that stellar 8* at Trent Bridge in the magical summer of 2005 - apparently he could bowl a bit too, but I can't remember that

ImpatientLime

International Regular
That spell at Jo'Burg is as good as anything I've ever seen in the game. An absolute masterclass in swing bowling.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Another highlight was when he did some punditry for ITV4 during the IPl in 2010. There was a woman on the panel and he clearly had no respect for her. She expressed an opinion on something or another and his face was priceless, he could barely hide his apathy.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sadly the forgotten man of 2005. We remember Harmison smacking Australian batsmen in the face at Lord's on day 1 to set the tone for the series (bite me Richard), Freddie being amazeballs all series, Simon Jones and his ***y reverse swing and Ashley Giles bowling the ball of the century, yet Hoggard's role has been somewhat forgotten.

Similarly, after his dumping in New Zealand, when it came to that 2005 attack, we pined for Flintoff and Jones to be fit and could never quite get over the idea of Harmison coming good again, but Hoggard seemed to be forgotten very quickly. A shame, because he was a lot better than that.

Appropriately enough, my favourite memory is probably the seven-for that he toiled away for manfuly at Adelaide in 2006, right before everything started going horribly, horribly wrong.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbf the 05 Ashes showed The adaptability of Hoggard, he didn't have to do an awful lot in the 2nd and 3rd Tests but executed what he needed to well (I'm thinking Hayden's early dismissal) and then to quote Fletcher, he certainly came to the party at Trent Bridge where his performance has been overlooked because of how good Jones was. Similarly at The Oval Freddie was ****ing incredible but he didn't do it on his own.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I most vividly remember him getting absolutely smashed by Astle in the amazing 222 game after getting a big bag in 1st innings. He took Astle's wicket at the end when it started to look as if nz had a chance

uvelocity

International Coach
main memory of him is that he was sort of shafted, but there were other bowlers coming through who did a decent enough job anyway. nice fella for a pom.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was Hoggard ever considered for a recall by either the selectors or the media? It seemed to me that once he was dumped he was permanently discarded into the "don't ever pick again" pile. Which was a bit harsh considering Steve Harmison, Darren Pattinson and Amjad Khan all represented England in the year immediately after his sacking.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You know how your get things in to your head sometimes, and you cant get them out?

When I watch my 2005 Ashes DVD I always think "Yeh, he walks like I imagine a hog-guard would've walked in the olden days". He has a bit of an agricultural lope to him. Would look good with a crook.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Always thought he was the sort of bowler you'd like having at the other end.

When on his game he could put great pressure on and take wickets for his partner. And he had plenty of his own big days.

I recall his knack in the 2005 Ashes of taking a wicket very early in his spells.

The Jo'burg spell was up there with the finest - every time it looked like he might be thwarted he produced something.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah I was always surprised that he didn't feature in too many England lineups after watching him in Pakistan in '05. I'm surprised to see he actually played in the Pakistan series in England, because for some reason I don't remember him playing. I'll always remember him from the '05 series and how threatening he always was on those foggy mornings with the new ball. I was always relieved when he went off the attack, more so than Freddie. Despite his good bowling I don't think he was able to pick up many wickets though.