Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Least talented guys to have played international cricket?

Least talented guys to have played international cricket?

There have been a few cricketers who haven't had that natural talent, or certain qualities required for the sport but have still succeeded in their respective careers and represented their country.
    The first one that comes to my mind is Collingwood, made batting look extremely difficult,
    from India I think Kaif is one such player, he looked like a tailender with the bat at times.

Who are the least talented guys to have played international cricket? By least talented I don't mean they weren't good enough, I mean the players who excelled despite of limited capabilities..
    Last edited by karan316; 11-09-2013 at 01:25 PM.
    Is this your homework Larry?

Ed Cowan
    Jager likes this.
    RIP Phillip Hughes (1988-2014)

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Graeme Fowler - a ton of guts, a brave century against the 1984 WIndies and a double in Madras the highlights of his Test career - but his technique really was deeply flawed

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Goughy once made a post stating that he felt it was incorrect to say Colly isn't or wasn't talented and that is talent was in his mental strength. Valid argument IMO, I'd never say Colly was not talented tbh.

It's probably a player for some associate nation who snagged an ODI.

If we limit it to tests it'd likely be an amateur who was selected for a tour because he was a frightfully good chap who went to Eton/Harrow/Winchester and the chairman of selectors fagged for his old man.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    If batting talent means range of shots, then Steve Waugh is the first one who comes to mind. Basically had 3 shots... Says a lot about his greatness that he still scored 11000 runs.

International Captain OverratedSanity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Goughy once made a post stating that he felt it was incorrect to say Colly isn't or wasn't talented and that is talent was in his mental strength. Valid argument IMO, I'd never say Colly was not talented tbh.
    Dravid made the exact same statement when he retired and a journalist asked him how he had been so successful inspite of not being as talented as others

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Add Dravid to the list of famous blokes who read CW then

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    The idea that you become an international cricketer without having some sort of talent is laughable.
    ​63*

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    Robbie Kerr. Shaun Young. The other Wayne Phillips.
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

Quote Originally Posted by karan316 View Post
    The first one that comes to my mind is Collingwood, made batting look extremely difficult
    Because you like to confuse "talent" with "stylishness". That's okay. Almost everyone does.

Surely if there's any part of cricket that comes with practise, it's technique? Nobody's born with an immaculate cover drive. A player who builds a career around concentration and hand-eye co-ordination - that is, your Collys, Cooks and so on - strike me as more naturally talented than those with a textbook technique.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 11-09-2013 at 04:08 PM.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    Off the top of my scone, I'd have to say Mark Richardson, Ashish Nehra and Ashley Giles. All did commendably with the talent they had to reach Test cricket.
    BeeGee likes this.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OverratedSanity View Post
    If batting talent means range of shots, then Steve Waugh is the first one who comes to mind. Basically had 3 shots... Says a lot about his greatness that he still scored 11000 runs.
    Nah, when Steve Waugh came into the Australian side in the mid-80s he played almost every shot in the book. He chose to play less shots as his career progressed because it eliminated risk. He was a remarkably talented batsman, and cricketer in general.
    Dan, honestbharani and Flem274* like this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Because you like to confuse "talent" with "stylishness". That's okay. Almost everyone does.

Surely if there's any part of cricket that comes with practise, it's technique? Nobody's born with an immaculate cover drive. A player who builds a career around concentration and hand-eye co-ordination - that is, your Collys, Cooks and so on - strike me as more naturally talented than those with a textbook technique.
    finally, someone gets it.

talent is how good your hand eye coordination is before it gets honed by years of practise, and probably how much of a fast learner you are.

so basically to know who the most and least talented players are we need a time machine so we can all put bats in the hands of 10 year olds and see who can get bat on ball.

everyone in test cricket is made, and the best cricketers are those who have been crafted to have the most effective techniques and the most well honed weapons in their amouries. even the pace someone bowls is dictated by this. how many battle tank blokes max out at 120kph? to bowl faster than a certain limit you need to train your body. no one gets shot out of their mothers ****** knowing how to hook a fast bowler or bowl an outswinger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    finally, someone gets it.

talent is how good your hand eye coordination is before it gets honed by years of practise, and probably how much of a fast learner you are.

so basically to know who the most and least talented players are we need a time machine so we can all put bats in the hands of 10 year olds and see who can get bat on ball.

everyone in test cricket is made, and the best cricketers are those who have been crafted to have the most effective techniques and the most well honed weapons in their amouries. even the pace someone bowls is dictated by this. how many battle tank blokes max out at 120kph? to bowl faster than a certain limit you need to train your body. no one gets shot out of their mothers ****** knowing how to hook a fast bowler or bowl an outswinger.
    honestbharani likes this.
    Len Hutton - Jack Hobbs - Ted Dexter - Peter May - Walter Hammond - Frank Woolley - Ian Botham - Alan Knott - Hedley Verity - John Snow - Fred Trueman

Victor Trumper - Bill Lawry - Don Bradman - Greg Chappell - Allan Border - Keith Miller - Adam Gilchrist - Alan Davidson - Shane Warne - Dennis Lillee - Glenn McGrath

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information