• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Least talented guys to have played international cricket?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lots of players bat "wrong handed" anyway; Ganguly isn't even close to be unique on that front.
He's a bit different though in the sense that when he first started playing proper leather ball cricket, he switched to being a left hander so he could use his brother's equipment.

aravinda1234

Cricket Spectator
Thilan Samraweera.

It's a misconception that some people think he is an off-spinner turned a batsman. No. He was a solid batsman from his school days but a genuine all rounder as well. I have heard that he batted one down for Ananda college when Mahela was his opposition number for Nalanda in their school big match encounters. But still when compared to Mahela, Thilan overachieved with his limited talent. If you can find a formula to rate players by amount of success they had relative to their talent, Samaraweera would feature in a top position.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's a bit different though in the sense that when he first started playing proper leather ball cricket, he switched to being a left hander so he could use his brother's equipment.
Wasn't Mike Hussey in the exact same boat? Except he wanted to imitate his idol it wasn't an issue over equipment(I don't think)

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Amongst English players from the mid 70s a few who come to mind who were clearly not of Test quality - and should never have been near the team would be:

Tim Curtis
Phil Newport
Min Patel
Ian Greig
Chris Cowdrey
Tim Munton
Mike Watkinson
Richard Blakey
Mark Ilott
Joey Benjamin

I've left out names like Mike Selvey who only played because there were a lot of injuries and Tony Pigott who was called up from his honeymoon in New Zealand because he happened to be there and there was no time to summon anyone else.

Amongst the worst Aussie there would be Phil Carlson, Tim Zoehrer and a seamer who played (I think) one Test in the mid 90s and looked like he had little idea where the ball was going - oh, and the leggie MacIntyre?) who went for about 8 an over.

Far too many NZers to name but start with Jeff Crowe.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
We can probably redefine the thread as the player with worst record in international cricket or something. But, no one can play international cricket without being talented. Even Sujith Somasunder who was mentioned here and was a failure in international cricket scored a ton of runs for Karnataka.

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
I think it was clearly evident in his stance and some of his shots that he batted a bit differently as compared to a normal left hander..
Stylish? Yes.. but wasn't that gifted.. growing up as a right hander, if you just switch and start playing left handed, it does get really difficult..
"On the offside, first there is God, then there is Sourav Ganguly." - Rahul Dravid.