• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Least talented guys to have played international cricket?

Hooksey

Banned
Chris Matthews was the name I was struggling for. Google to the rescue. Matthews actually managed 3 tests, but one of them was unforgettably bad. One of the worst spells of bowling by an Australian in a test.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
A left arm Western Australian swing bowler make a horrendous debut back in the mid to late 80s. Struggling to remember his name but must have had a severe case of stage fright because he could barely land them on the square. I don't think he ever got another test.
Wasn't Mitchell Johnson, was it?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Only played ODI's and T20 but Dernbach has to come into consideration.

Just seen that his next international will be his 50th. Has any player made as many appearances before despite being totally crap and hardly anyone anywhere rates him at all?

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Some unwanted criticism directed towards me here..

I never said that these players are not good enough, but some players are more gifted as compared to others, the reason behind it might be the kind of natural fitness they have, or some activities they might have done in their early years which give them an edge over others.

Sachin had never played bowlers with extreme pace in domestic matches while growing up, but he hardly took any time in adjusting in the international arena, he looked completely at ease against the fastest bowlers, and it seemed as if he had ample of time while playing his shots. Such things aren't developed in nets, practice does help, but its a gradual process, u don't practice and learn something overnight.

Practicing is a must for any sport, but, each individual has to put a different amount of time and effort for attaining a particular result, something which one guy learns in one week, the other might require a month to master.

I didn't mean to underestimate anyone by starting the thread, I was in fact lauding the guys who go that extra mile to achieve something which is a bit more difficult for them as compared to others.

Last edited:

Hooksey

Banned
Oh wow i gotta upload that Matthews horrendous spell at the Gabba, vs WI 1st test yeah?
I think that was the spell. Matthews bowled 3.5 overs for 18 runs with 3 wides and a no ball. He got injured bowling his forth over - and what would be his final over in test cricket - but was never going to get another over that day anyway.

Last edited:

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Would also like to mention about Ganguly in the thread..

He is originally a right hander, started batting left handed to use his brother's sporting equipments. It is anyways visible in his stance that he is not a normal left hander..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Sourav? Looked to be an enormously talented and stylish player to me. Despite this small issue he had to overcome I don't think he is really relevant in this thread for mine

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Sujith Somasunder (Batsman, Played 2 ODIs for India in 1996)...unthinkable selection, he opened with Tendulkar if I remember correctly, Looked like a fish out of water, the whole time he stayed there in the crease, it was just ridiculous for everyone around...

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Sourav? Looked to be an enormously talented and stylish player to me. Despite this small issue he had to overcome I don't think he is really relevant in this thread for mine
I think it was clearly evident in his stance and some of his shots that he batted a bit differently as compared to a normal left hander..
Stylish? Yes.. but wasn't that gifted.. growing up as a right hander, if you just switch and start playing left handed, it does get really difficult..

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
You would travel far and wide to find someone who times the ball better than Ganguly, timing is often a sign of what we may call "talent". Yeah it might have been weird and unnatural for him, but he still had natural elegance and timing that someone like Ed Cowan could only dream of

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
You would travel far and wide to find someone who times the ball better than Ganguly, timing is often a sign of what we may call "talent". Yeah it might have been weird and unnatural for him, but he still had natural elegance and timing that someone like Ed Cowan could only dream of
absolutely, very well said...

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Yap, his timing was pretty good, but changing from being right handed to left handed would have made it a lot more difficult for him. Not batting with your natural stance does bring some limitations in your batting..

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Yap, his timing was pretty good, but changing from being right handed to left handed would have made it a lot more difficult for him. Not batting with your natural stance does bring some limitations in your batting..
Yes Karan, all this is accepted, he changed from right to left and it made it lot more difficult for him and so on and so forth (People often found his footwork so problematic, specially when he was not getting runs...), but the thing is the fact that he has almost 20000 international runs playing all over the world against all sorts of oppositions does only hint at the fact that he was talented enough...actually that even after having so many fundamental things wrong, the fact that he could achieve what he did achieved only meant that he was very gifted, even more so...and frankly, it quite surprises me that the name of Sourav Ganguly is even mentioned in a thread named " Least talented guys to have played international cricket"...it's very unjust :(

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah guys, he was batting wrong handed, don't you get it??? He wasn't talented, end of story

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, if he could average 42 in test cricket holding his bat upside down, then I'd be impressed. Wrong handed, pfft ...