• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indoor Cricket

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll post this here, and hope you understand.

Cricket is a game with long standing traditions. The people who love it are generally purists who are very sensitive to any changes in the game. Most posters on here (I think) prefer traditional 5 day test match cricket to the newer versions of the game. So when you come in here saying "why not have 12 fielders instead of 11" or "why not use baseball style gloves" or something else silly, no one takes you seriously, and we think you're either an idiot, a troll, or someone who has no understanding of cricket at all.

So if you do like cricket, maybe watch some for a while, and get in to the rhythm of it. Understand what it's about. It doesn't need any of your "innovative" changes. If you like it, continue watching and maybe post here. If you don't like it, find another sport you do like and stop posting suggestions in here about the sport we like. :)
This is what I truthfully think of you Monk :ph34r:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I love Hookesy. I haven't seen much of Swingpanzee but I love his name.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I'll post this here, and hope you understand.

Cricket is a game with long standing traditions. The people who love it are generally purists who are very sensitive to any changes in the game. Most posters on here (I think) prefer traditional 5 day test match cricket to the newer versions of the game. So when you come in here saying "why not have 12 fielders instead of 11" or "why not use baseball style gloves" or something else silly, no one takes you seriously, and we think you're either an idiot, a troll, or someone who has no understanding of cricket at all.

So if you do like cricket, maybe watch some for a while, and get in to the rhythm of it. Understand what it's about. It doesn't need any of your "innovative" changes. If you like it, continue watching and maybe post here. If you don't like it, find another sport you do like and stop posting suggestions in here about the sport we like. :)
Yes I understand what you say. I had a same experience on a Rugby Union board. (I suggested the reduction of the number of on-pitch players from 15 to 13 by abolishing Flankers, like Rugby League.)

However, Cricket is changing rapidly. Who could predict the current 50-over style World Cup 80 years ago? So suggesting some radical changes is not trolling. (Of course I understand that I am new to Cricket.)

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
(Of course I understand that I am new to Cricket.)
And this is the part that really puzzles/irks me. You're new to cricket and have joined a board full of folk that have spent their lives pretty much obsessed with the game.......and you're telling us how the game could be bettered??

Do you see the problem here??

I'm still not convinced that you're not out and out trolling but since you say you're not then I'll take that at face value, but FMD mate, if you are interested spend 2 or 3 years following the sport before you try and fix it.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
And this is the part that really puzzles/irks me. You're new to cricket and have joined a board full of folk that have spent their lives pretty much obsessed with the game.......and you're telling us how the game could be bettered??

Do you see the problem here??

I'm still not convinced that you're not out and out trolling but since you say you're not then I'll take that at face value, but FMD mate, if you are interested spend 2 or 3 years following the sport before you try and fix it.
I am not trolling, however, since I am from a Baseball country and new to Cricket, my ideas seem to be strange to many Cricket fans.

There are at least 6 bat/ball sports:

Cricket
Rounders
US-born Baseball
Welsh Baseball (British Baseball)
Softball
Pesäpallo

I think that Cricket is the best of these. However, it is interesting to introduce the elements of other sports to Cricket, I think.

Howe_zat

Audio File
And, could anyone tell me:
What happens when a batted ball hits the wicket on the opposite side?
The batsman is awarded five penalty runs. The defense is punished for being careless enough to leave the unnecessary wicket remaining on the infield, you see. If the bowler disturbs the stumps during his run-up, the pitch is called a no-ball, as the batter's opportunity to score his five penalty runs was removed by the pitcher.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
The batsman is awarded five penalty runs. The defense is punished for being careless enough to leave the unnecessary wicket remaining on the infield, you see. If the bowler disturbs the stumps during his run-up, the pitch is called a no-ball, as the batter's opportunity to score his five penalty runs was removed by the pitcher.
Very funny, but please teach me the laws seriously.

Another question: In Cricket fields, there are 5 pitches. But in the official game only the centre one is used, right?
If so, what is the necessity for other pitches? Training?

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
I still have questions.
In Baseball, Cather sends signals to Pitcher.Baseball Catcher's Signals.jpg
In the past, table of random numbers was used.
In Cricket, does Wicket-Keeper send any signal to Bowler?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Lokomotiv- I have questions. I am new to baseball being in a cricket country.

In baseball the batter cannot build an innings. In cricket he can. Why can't baseball be an ongoing innings for batsmen who hit home runs. They should stay in.

In cricket we have stumps and bails. If the pitcher hits them, the batter is "out". This is easier than baseball when the umpire has to decide "ball" or "strike". Why in baseball don't we have wickets?

In cricket, the wicket-keeper stays a long way behind the stumps for fast bowlers. In baseball he is always in the same spot. he should move back.

Lokomotiv

U19 Cricketer
Lokomotiv- I have questions. I am new to baseball being in a cricket country.

In baseball the batter cannot build an innings. In cricket he can. Why can't baseball be an ongoing innings for batsmen who hit home runs. They should stay in.

In cricket we have stumps and bails. If the pitcher hits them, the batter is "out". This is easier than baseball when the umpire has to decide "ball" or "strike". Why in baseball don't we have wickets?

In cricket, the wicket-keeper stays a long way behind the stumps for fast bowlers. In baseball he is always in the same spot. he should move back.
Yes I agree that one of the biggest fundamental shortcomings of Baseball is an inning ends by 3 outs, and pitcher can avoid strong batter by intentional 4-balls.
Yes the judgements of strike and ball are very often unclear. I do not know why there is no Wicket, but does Rounders have? It is widely believed that Baseball's origin is Rounders.
In baseball, there is "Catcher's Box" and Catcher must be there. And Catcher must receive the ball without bound. When a ball bounds, the batter is not automatically out in the case of 3 strikes.

Flem274*

123/5
you guys are being way too precious. lokomotiv's suggestions are awesome, lighten up.

lokomotiv what is your opinion on the height of the grass on the field? should we have grass at all?