• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

Paul S

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tour Match: TBA v South Africans at TBA - Oct 8-10, 2013

1st Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Abu Dhabi - Oct 14-18, 2013
Match scheduled to begin at 10:00 local time (06:00 GMT)

2nd Test: South Africa v Pakistan at Dubai (DSC) - Oct 23-27, 2013
Match scheduled to begin at 10:00 local time (06:00 GMT)

1st ODI: South Africa v Pakistan at Sharjah - Oct 30, 2013
Match scheduled to begin at 15:00 local time (11:00 GMT)

2nd ODI: South Africa v Pakistan at Dubai (DSC) - Nov 1, 2013

3rd ODI: South Africa v Pakistan at Abu Dhabi - Nov 6, 2013

4th ODI: South Africa v Pakistan at Abu Dhabi - Nov 8, 2013

5th ODI: South Africa v Pakistan at Sharjah - Nov 11, 2013

1st T20I: South Africa v Pakistan at Dubai (DSC) - Nov 13, 2013
Match scheduled to begin at 20:00 local time (16:00 GMT)

2nd T20I: South Africa v Pakistan at Dubai (DSC) - Nov 15, 2013
Match scheduled to begin at 20:00 local time (16:00 GMT)

Paul S

Smith and Steyn return for Pakistan series

Graeme Smith, who has been out of competitive cricket since May, is set to lead South Africa against Pakistan in the Test series in the UAE, which begins next month. Smith suffered a recurrence of an ankle injury while playing county cricket for Surrey, which required surgery. He is not 100% fit yet but, at the squad announcement, Smith said: "I'm feeling on track and I feel I will be there on the tour."

Dale Steyn, who missed much of the Champions Trophy and the limited-overs tour of Sri Lanka due to several niggles - including side strain, groin, glute, neck and ankle problem - will be fit to play. Wicketkeeper Thami Tsolekile was picked, while Jacques Rudolph missed out. Imran Tahir and Robin Peterson were both named, meaning South Africa will have two frontline spin options for the tour.

JP Duminy, who had missed South Africa's previous Test series - also against Pakistan, at home in February this year - due to the Achilles tendon injury that ruled him out for several months in the first half of the year, returns to the long format.

Smith and Steyn also feature in the ODI squad for the tour, but Jacques Kallis - who opted out of the Champions Trophy and the limited-overs games in Sri Lanka - does not feature, despite confirming his desire to play the 2015 World Cup.

Vernon Philander earns a recall to the ODI squad - the last of his eight one-dayers was played in January 2012. One-day cricket, South Africa coach Russell Domingo said, would help Philander develop his bowling further. "Vern's strengths in Test cricket are his line and length and he would have to find more variation in the one-day game. It's not about just bowling 10 overs on off stump," Domingo said. "I always judge a player's skill on how they are able to learn new things. Vern has an unbelievable desire to do well."

Kallis is expected to be back in the limited-overs set-up for the scheduled home series against India, and convener of selectors Andrew Hudson said the Pakistan series meanwhile provided the lesser-established players a chance to press their case. "This is an opportunity for new guys to put their hands up and compete for a place in the World Cup in 2015."

Wayne Parnell and Imran Tahir will be among the players who want to grab that chance, having gained recalls in ODIs after more than a year on the sidelines. Alviro Petersen, Farhaan Behardien, Colin Ingram, Rory Kleinveldt, Chris Morris and Aaron Phangiso are the ones to miss out from the squad that played the ODI series against Sri Lanka in July.

Cricket South Africa said their T20 squad would be named after the Champions League T20, which ends on October 6.

South Africa play two Tests, the first of which starts on October 14, followed by five ODIs and two T20s, on the tour. Smith said South Africa would have to ease themselves back into Test cricket, having been away from the longest format for so long: "Going to conditions that are foreign, we just need to be smart in our preparation to be ready. We need to make sure we get the basics right. We can't expect to be flashy after such a long break."

Domingo said it wasn't ideal to go into a Test series after a long layoff, and that his team would just have to adapt fast. "We've been into Test series cold before; there's not an awful lot you can do about it. The players are professional and experienced enough to know what they must do to hit the ground running.

"There are some positives: fortunately we'll be there for nine or 10 days before we hit the first of the two Tests, so that's a bit of a plus. Included will be a three-day warm-up game, which is better than nothing at all - it's pretty typical of the ways schedules go these days. I think eight of the 15 who go will be playing first in the Twenty20 Champions League, so that's another good development."

Test squad
Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers (wk), JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, Rory Kleinveldt, Morne Morkel, Alviro Petersen, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Dale Steyn, Thami Tsolekile (wk)

ODI squad
AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock (wk), JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Ryan McLaren, David Miller, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Graeme Smith, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe

Pakistan v South Africa 2013-14 : Graeme Smith and Dale Steyn return for Pakistan series | Cricket News | Pakistan v South Africa | ESPN Cricinfo

smash84

The Tiger King
Pakistan need to prepare spinning minefields for Abdur Rehman and Saeed Ajmal to take advantage of otherwise they can't even get close to beating SA.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
while Pakistan seem very vulnerable given the way they are doing in Zimbabwe, don't rule them out in the UAE, their spinners could easily run riot against SA, will be a good test for Steyn and co also

SeamUp

International Coach
I always feel we play spin better in test cricket but it would certainly be an interesting challenge if some spinning wickets were prepared.

Only one reserve seamer needed with Kallis around, also entertains the opportunity to play two spinners or one main with Duminy being more than handy.

Paul S

Saffers will be a little rusty. They haven't played Test cricket for 7 months. Should be an interesting contest if they prepare spin-friendly tracks. Pakistan batting looks very shaky though. Want to see Steyn at full throttle at some stage :thumbsup:

smash84

The Tiger King
Pak batting will have the comfort of the ball staying below penis height in the UAE so I expect them to touch 300 in at least 2 of the 4 innings

SeamUp

International Coach
SA will arrive in UAE 10 days before the series starts with one 3-day game.

Bleeeep test was yesterday !

Attachments

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly don't think spin is gonna be much of a threat to Pak with Robin Peterson and Duminy

SeamUp

International Coach
Honestly don't think spin is gonna be much of a threat to Pak with Robin Peterson and Duminy
May not do but I wouldn't under-estimate the Robin Peterson of the last 3/4 years.

If Duminy chips in with a wicket or two in a test match which he is more than capable of doing because he bowls wicket-taking balls, I think most South Africans would take that from a 5th or 6th choice bowler.

SeamUp

International Coach
He has had his moments (up-and-down). Certainly does need to step up again with competition over his shoulder.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anderson and Broad did pretty well in the UAE as well iirc, so it's not like you're ****ed if you don't have a quality spinner.

Hope they don't go the old way and prepare the roads that earned them a draw against SA the last time round though.

SeamUp

International Coach
who is considered next best? Harmer? Tahir?
Tahir will get a 2nd chance first. Step-up or shift out time for him so he will be wanting to prove a point.

They don't want to rush Harmer but he is certainly the next in line. Currently in Sri Lanka for a spin bowling camp with a few of our other spinners.

SeamUp

International Coach
Anderson and Broad did pretty well in the UAE as well iirc, so it's not like you're ****ed if you don't have a quality spinner.

Hope they don't go the old way and prepare the roads that earned them a draw against SA the last time round though.
Exactly, a bit of seam/swing in the first 10 overs and then nothing more for the seamers and hardly anything for the spinners the last time we were there. What a bore fest that was.

smash84

The Tiger King
Misbah and Co would want a bore fest. They were scarred pretty badly in SA and those memories would be haunting them still

Paul S

Not sure about Peterson's Test match credentials. He looks like a steady operator than a real striker. Hasn't done much apart from his performance in that AUS Test. Tahir gets a tailender out and celebrates like a mad man. I was there when he got the crowd going at Lord's after a ridiculous LBW appeal (pitched about a foot outside leg) last year. Can't really see them running through PAK unless they prepare tracks that turn square.

Good test for Philander. His first series in the subcontinent.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach

I think you are forgetting that England toured in Jan/Feb when the conditions are completely different. My guess, fast bowlers will have nothing.