• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

Stapel

International Regular
Calls for a much earlier declaration proved a bit off the mark.
They usually are, not? I mean, how many Tests have we seen where, even in hindsight, the declaration was obviously too late? IMHO, commentators, spectators and cricket debaters bring up the issue of declaration way before any decent captain would think of it.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
bull ****...that isn't fair
Why do I get the feeling that if Du Plessis had half of Afridi's history (tap dance on a length, anyone?) then the punishments might have been more comparable?

Also, Du Plessis didn't try to eat the ball, but I'm sure that's completely irrelevant...

greg

International Debutant
Why do I get the feeling that if Du Plessis had half of Afridi's history (tap dance on a length, anyone?) then the punishments might have been more comparable?

Also, Du Plessis didn't try to eat the ball, but I'm sure that's completely irrelevant...
It is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned. Or at least it isn't an argument for justifying the leniency for Du Plessis. This isn't just about individuals - nobody could plausibly not be aware that what Du Plessis did went way beyond 'grey area'. Let "first time offenders" off with a slap on the wrist and all you do is create a green light for teams to cheat - making sure that they concentrate "ball shining duties" on players without a prior record.

smash84

The Tiger King
exactly, awta, so according to the arguments in this thread there are still other squad members in the SA team who don't have a history of doing this so they can be let off with a slap on the wrist

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, greg nailed it, it's not about the individual, it's about trying to eradicate ball tampering from the game

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Had a look on the cricinfo commentary, and the commentator noted that the ball was reversing before it was changed, so whatever faf was doing, it was working