• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Faf and Duminy opening? Would've thought Smith needs the match practice the most..

SeamUp

International Coach
No hot spot for this series as well.

Not looking good for its future if you ask me. Too many ramblings due to its merits and costs.

sambha

Cricket Spectator
excited to see how Steyn and Philander perform in ODI's
They are great test bowlers but in today's age.....you have got to be adaptable.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Steyn went for around 60 without a wicket in the practice match. Is he one of those guys who doesn't give his all in matches that don't count or was it the extremely flat pitch where a Pak A team managed to score 300?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Styen is a bit of a non trier in practice matches though, I think. Also gets better and better the more bowling he gets.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't really find any flaw in the SA team except for may be a stronger spinner than Petersen.. Great depth in both batting and bowling..Should walk over the Pak team which struggled against Zimbabwe..

jan

State Vice-Captain
Looking forward to starting a day with test cricket tomorrow, it begins at 8am so I will enjoy my breakfast with Proteas :)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Hi South African cricket followers and fans, I'm wondering on the general opinion on Hardus Vilgeon, Chris Morris and Kyle Abbott. Vilgeon bowled pretty rapidly during Champions League T20 - he wasn't much slower than Johnson whose pace has pretty much put him into the first Test team in the Ashes. Morris is a 140kph bowler who averages 30 with the bat in First Class cricket - do people think he will be a Test or ODI regular in the future? As for Abbott, he took 9 on Test debut and now is not in the squad? He has been leapfrogged (or so it seems to me) by Kleinveldt who hasn't done quite as well in any of his four Tests.

SeamUp

International Coach
Hi South African cricket followers and fans, I'm wondering on the general opinion on Hardus Vilgeon, Chris Morris and Kyle Abbott. Vilgeon bowled pretty rapidly during Champions League T20 - he wasn't much slower than Johnson whose pace has pretty much put him into the first Test team in the Ashes. Morris is a 140kph bowler who averages 30 with the bat in First Class cricket - do people think he will be a Test or ODI regular in the future? As for Abbott, he took 9 on Test debut and now is not in the squad? He has been leapfrogged (or so it seems to me) by Kleinveldt who hasn't done quite as well in any of his four Tests.
Hi mate, yeah...

I think with the Kleinveldt situation, he got given the go first and while he hasn't been exceptional he has impressed at times. The selectors aren't quick to disregard players in SA very quickly. They talk about players having do be really poor to be left out and the next 'cab off the rank will come in'

I reckon outside of the 4 in Dubai our fast bowling stocks look quite good.

I reckon B. Hendricks, Parnell, Birch, Gqamane, Abbott, McLaren, Viljoen, Morris, Tsotsobe and de Lange are all in their thought processes for red-ball cricket.

I think you will find Abbott is the next cab off the rank. The longer version is more his stuff although he is decent with the white ball as well. Drives a great length, swings it away early and can get reverse. Best of all is he is always at the batsman. Great bouncer too.

Been a big fan of Morris, mentioned him on here well before many were talking about him. I think his red ball results over the last two seasons have been under talked by the selectors. To me he is better with the red ball but certainly his all-round abilities get you excited for one-day cricket.

Viljoen is in their thoughts but de Lange is probably ahead of him. Probably the two quickest bowlers domestically who get it into the high 140's, 150.

Name too watch though is Beuran Hendricks. Coming on leaps and bounds and is left-arm quick swing bowler. Gets me excited. Maturing a lot, used to have no ball problems and didn't produce with the white ball but his spell at Centurion on Friday was damn impressive.

Good read here on the 'next wave' Firdose Moonda on South Africa's next generation of bowlers | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Styen is a bit of a non trier in practice matches though, I think. Also gets better and better the more bowling he gets.
This, Steyn rarely starts a tour well, England and Australia took him a little while, particularly in Australia