• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
This is why I like Clarke and rate him as a captain. He would have declared a while back and would trust his bowlers to get the job done. Smith on the other hand is very risk averse.
Why bat twice when you can bat once and also completely eliminate the chance of having to bat last on a minefield?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And here we go. Remind me to never accuse Pakistani posters of being so pessimistic all the time.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He has rubbish batsmen which is why Aus is not doing well. If he had a better team it would pay off. Smith on the other hand has the best team in the world and yet I haven't seen many that are as risk averse as him.
And they're number 1.
Are you from the Ian Chappel school of captaincy in which only attacking captaincy is good captaincy? While Smith can play it too safe on occasion, in this case he's won the game anyway, just making sure they don't have to bat last

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
He has rubbish batsmen which is why Aus is not doing well. If he had a better team it would pay off. Smith on the other hand has the best team in the world and yet I haven't seen many that are as risk averse as him.
And Smith has to trust his bowlers to do the job in 3 days? while they may only need one... Keeping Pak on the field is the most dominating thing he could have done.

Thing is Australia might actually need 3 days.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
This is why I like Clarke and rate him as a captain. He would have declared a while back and would trust his bowlers to get the job done. Smith on the other hand is very risk averse.
Doesn't make any sense Agent. Smith clearly said that the pitch is still dry and he wanted to bat as long as the pitch becomes very bowler friendly. Though they couldn't execute it today, it was the right and sensible decision by him.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
why the **** would you risk something when you don't need to? That's not good captaincy, that's ****ing stupid.

"Generous" declarations are stupid unless it's the last day of the test and you need a win to take the series.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
why the **** would you risk something when you don't need to? That's not good captaincy, that's ****ing stupid.

"Generous" declarations are stupid unless it's the last day of the test and you need a win to take the series.
Lol, what risk are you talking about. This isn't England, it's Pakistan. Have you not seen the score?

Captain_Cook

U19 12th Man
All these comments about negative captaincy really reflect how similar Smith and Cook are. With Smith scoring a double after a considerable layoff and Cook looking like he may go all 2009 again, what are the chances that Cook will be able to match Smith?

*If I am straying too far off topic for this thread, I'll happily make a new thread.*

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Lol, what risk are you talking about. This isn't England, it's Pakistan. Have you not seen the score?
The same Pakistan that just beat them in the previous test?

I'd be less worried if it were England.

Either way he still has two and a half days to bowl them out so I really don't see the problem.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
All these comments about negative captaincy really reflect how similar Smith and Cook are. With Smith scoring a double after a considerable layoff and Cook looking like he may go all 2009 again, what are the chances that Cook will be able to match Smith?

*If I am straying too far off topic for this thread, I'll happily make a new thread.*
I think Graeme would want to tour England one last time in 2017... We will see how Jimmy does after that.